Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Detroit lockers on the road (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/detroit-lockers-on-the-road-15433.html)

Joe Dirt 02-05-2008 10:24 PM

Detroit lockers on the road

I'm going to buy a new Dana 44 rear axle and need to pick a locker for it. I can get it with a Detroit and 4.56 gears for $2000. My Jeep is a daily driver down So California freeways. I've heard negative stuff about a Detroit on the roadway. Is there anyone who is running one and can offer an opinion?

dwdrums801 02-05-2008 10:55 PM

I have one in the rear and I hardly notice it

mr4x4 02-05-2008 11:12 PM

I have one in my dana44 and don't even notice it

Joe Dirt 02-06-2008 12:16 AM

I appreciate the responses. It makes me more comfortable in spending all that money.

debruins 02-06-2008 06:32 AM

its great if you live somewhere without snow, but an auto locker int eh rear with snow is just a bad idea, so in Cale, it'll be GREAT!

Vector6 02-06-2008 07:58 AM

i have Aussies front and rear in my 01 TJ, it snows here.... i have no problems...

Jerry Bransford 02-06-2008 09:42 AM

Nearly 100,000 miles on a rear Detroit Locker in a Dana 44 with zero problems. Its road manners are fine 98.27% ;) of the time with just the occasional lurch or bang to remind me that, afterall, it is a Detroit Locker. My TJ was a daily driver until last month too. :)

richp 02-06-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 190622)
its great if you live somewhere without snow, but an auto locker int eh rear with snow is just a bad idea, so in Cale, it'll be GREAT!

WHAT !!?!?!?! they work fine in the snow, you just need to remember to let off the gas when when turning in 2 wheel drive, otherwise it tends to push you straight, there was a slight 'learning curve' there the first time I tried pulling into my driveway in the snow. Had to backup and try again like four times till the lightbulb went off, started forward, let off the gas and it turned like it was on rails into and up the driveway. In 4 wheel it's hardly noticeable, at least to me.

1BLKJP 02-06-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 190651)
Nearly 100,000 miles on a rear Detroit Locker in a Dana 44 with zero problems. Its road manners are fine 98.27% ;) of the time with just the occasional lurch or bang to remind me that, afterall, it is a Detroit Locker. My TJ was a daily driver until last month too. :)

Ditto. :D Plus it's cool when it unloads in traffic. Scares the shite out of those next to you. :D :D :D

tobycat1 02-06-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt (Post 190547)
I'm going to buy a new Dana 44 rear axle and need to pick a locker for it. I can get it with a Detroit and 4.56 gears for $2000. My Jeep is a daily driver down So California freeways. I've heard negative stuff about a Detroit on the roadway. Is there anyone who is running one and can offer an opinion?

Where are you buying it from?

Joe Dirt 02-06-2008 05:32 PM

www.drivetrainwarehouse.com

sgnellett 02-06-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 190622)

Fantastic, input from the voice of experience! :rofl:

In your many years of experience, you've had Detroit Lockers in how many Jeeps?

And how many years did you spend driving them in Cale? :confused:

BTW, where is Cale? :doh:

Oh, wait, you meant Cali, as in California, but in your continued display of ignorance, you didn't bother to even abbreviate correctly when spouting off about not one but 2 things you know nothing about! :flipoff:

Thanks, for nothing! :rolleyes:

GrnTJ 02-06-2008 06:06 PM

The hostility is so thick in here I think I just got stuck in 4Lo...now Im in trouble...no lockers.

Scoob 02-06-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrnTJ (Post 190786)
The hostility is so thick in here I think I just got stuck in 4Lo...now Im in trouble...no lockers.

LOL

You can feel the love :)

Jerry Bransford 02-06-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 190771)

Oh, wait, you meant Cali, as in California, but in your continued display of ignorance, you didn't bother to even abbreviate correctly when spouting off about not one but 2 things you know nothing about! :flipoff:

WTF? In reading your homepage, how many Detroit Lockers have you owned? It sure doesn't read like you are the voice of experience on owning even a single Detroit Locker unless you're keeping that part of your Jeep history top-secret. So what's your point or contribution here other than to just bust his chops?

sgnellett 02-06-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 190795)
WTF? In reading your homepage, how many Detroit Lockers have you owned? It sure doesn't read like you are the voice of experience on owning even a single Detroit Locker unless you're keeping that part of your Jeep history top-secret. So what's your point or contribution here other than to just bust his chops?

None at all, which is why I didn't try to contribute some illiterate gibberish to a conversation I know nothing about.

tobycat1 02-06-2008 06:52 PM

BTW Cali is a great balance of everyting. I'm 30 min from the snow, 10 min from mud, and 60 min from sandy beaches. Snow is present in a large portion of the state during winter, but almost none the rest of the year.

tobycat1 02-06-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 190771)

Not quite the jeeper way man:flipoff: You don't have to have own something to have been around enough of them to know about how they perform.

Scout 02-06-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 190799)
None at all, which is why I didn't try to contribute some illiterate gibberish to a conversation I know nothing about.

Meanwhile you jumped into a discussion about lockers in a technical forum and offered no technical information.

Guys we really need to try and keep these threads on topic out of consideration of the original poster.

Jerry Bransford 02-06-2008 07:57 PM

I'd be whipping out the temporary ban stick if I had access to one. ;)

richp 02-06-2008 08:01 PM

OK, currently, 4 jeeps, ZJ, XJ, 2 TJ's. ZJ, locked, XJ locked, one TJ locked, the unlocked TJ does not go out of the driveway when it snows. Prior, 87 Trooper, locked rear, 82 S10, open and christened the stuck machine when it snowed, stunk in the rain too only solution on that one was chains. When it snowed the S10 stayed parked and the 69 willys got used, that was locked rear.
As far as snow goes when it gets interesting is when you lock the front and rear on an off camber off road or hill. Every vehicle I have ever ORDERED, not bought off the lot, I've always gotten the optional TD. I've not ordered a new one in many years so I always end up adding it myself later on. The detroit that just went in the ZJ today should improve it manners and handling in the snow, we have alot of hills around here and they get icy so open diffs don't cut it when you get both front and rear passenger side tires on the icy shoulder and then have to do the brake handle trick to get going again.
Yea, it will handle a bit different but after a few miles of playing with it in snow and slippery roads you learn to use it to your advantage.

Scoob 02-06-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 190823)
I'd be whipping out the temporary ban stick if I had access to one. ;)

Isn't that typical of a jeepforeskin goderator?

Don't you have some post to edit (if you dont agree with), Delete (if it proves you or another goderator wrong) or hound some poor guy to "ponying up" elsewhere?

The mods here are what separates this site from that craphole, don't try to turn them into the likes of the swelled head goderators of that place.

nicolas-eric 02-06-2008 08:29 PM

i drove a friends XJ with a detroit in the rear axle. in rain it could be a bit dangerous. but if you got used to it you won´t notice the locker on the road.
i would never install an auto locker. i would ever install a selectable again.

MR.CLIFFORD 02-06-2008 08:34 PM

I happen to like my detroit in the snow. :D

nicolas-eric 02-06-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 190850)
I happen to like my detroit in the snow. :D

i like my selactable in snow and in rain... :D :punk:

White93ARB 02-06-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 190844)
Isn't that typical of a jeepforeskin goderator?

Don't you have some post to edit (if you dont agree with), Delete (if it proves you or another goderator wrong) or hound some poor guy to "ponying up" elsewhere?

The mods here are what separates this site from that craphole, don't try to turn them into the likes of the swelled head goderators of that place.

:punk: :D

Scout 02-06-2008 08:59 PM

No one is getting banned or even temporarily banned. That's not how we do things on WF. However, we do need to keep these threads on topic. In Off Topic knock yourself out but in the tech sections we need to keep them on topic.

Carry on. :)

MR.CLIFFORD 02-06-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 190878)
Carry on. :)

my wayward son. There'll be peace when you get done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don't you cry no more. GO!!!

Edit: can't we ban Jerry for knowing everything without a license?? :D:D

4point 02-06-2008 09:38 PM

Kansas, puuuuukke. :rofl:

MR.CLIFFORD 02-06-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 190898)
Kansas, puuuuukke. :rofl:

Try again.