Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV Front Tubeless Bumper, Winch Plate and Skid Plate Installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-front-tubeless-bumper-winch-plate-and-skid-plate-installed-154448.html)

ndrugby 04-18-2012 05:04 PM

AEV Front Tubeless Bumper, Winch Plate and Skid Plate Installed

2 Attachment(s)
Got my bumper and installed it same day. Love it. :thumb:

It took about 6 hours to get the bumper and winch plate on and another hour to get the skid plate on. A few things to note for installing the AEV bumper.

1. Don't fully tighten/torgue the tow hooks and end brackets until the bumper is on. You can access them still at that point. That helps with alignment to the bumper later.

2. Relocating the vaccum pump was a bit of a struggle until I disconnected it completely. Even then, it fits in a tight spot.

3. The instructions are incomplete, the internet is your friend.

4. Having a second person would have helped, but it's possible with one person.

5. It takes time to line things up really well. When putting on the bumper, you need to tighten the bolts in phases making sure that the previously tightened bolts didn't move the holes for the fairlead.

I have a winch delete plate I'm picking up soon (a take off from someone else). I'll use it until I decide on/save up for a winch.

Rhodyjeep 04-18-2012 06:45 PM

Looks perfect!!!!!!!!! What is tubeless?

44Blues 04-18-2012 06:50 PM

Nice and clean....I'm not a fan of the fat ARB/AEV tubes but to each his own...it's a personal thing....that bumper is just begging for a winch!

44Blues 04-18-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodyjeep (Post 2275515)
Looks perfect!!!!!!!!! What is tubeless?

Then "tube" is the hoop in the middle of the bumper often used to mount lights...it offers additional protection as well.

Mentat Bashar 04-18-2012 06:54 PM

Very nice. I'm looking to purchase the premium bumper with winch eventually.

ndrugby 04-18-2012 07:17 PM

Thanks.

Rhody this is the tube bumper. I just liked the look better without the tube. I give up some protection for that, but that was what I wanted.

44 - I know. Every time I look at it makes me want to buy one right away. I just can't decide which one!

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...mprkit_tbl.jpg

Duffyc04 04-18-2012 07:28 PM

Looks great rugby!! I'm still up in the air about whether I want the AEV tubeless or the Warn Elite Series....

What kind of winch are you looking at?

ndrugby 04-18-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffyc04 (Post 2275714)
Looks great rugby!! I'm still up in the air about whether I want the AEV tubeless or the Warn Elite Series....

What kind of winch are you looking at?

Thanks. I started with the Warn 9.5cti-s, and then decided it was too expensive. Now I'm checking out the warn vr and m series (with synthetic) and the Engo with synthetic.

Duffyc04 04-18-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 2275723)
Thanks. I started with the Warn 9.5cti-s, and then decided it was too expensive. Now I'm checking out the warn vr and m series (with synthetic) and the Engo with synthetic.

Nice, I'm pretty much set on the M8000-s with the synthetic line. Just got to pull the trigger.

ndrugby 04-18-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffyc04 (Post 2275856)
Nice, I'm pretty much set on the M8000-s with the synthetic line. Just got to pull the trigger.

Nice. I wish they had an m10000-s. I'd rather have more, just in case. That's one of my hesitations. This will be my first winch, so I don't want to regret the decision later, especially at the warn price point.

basecamper 04-18-2012 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great nrugby!! :thumb:

FWIW here is the tube version installed

Duffyc04 04-18-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 2275866)
Nice. I wish they had an m10000-s. I'd rather have more, just in case. That's one of my hesitations. This will be my first winch, so I don't want to regret the decision later, especially at the warn price point.

Understandable, but honestly since you have a 2-door, unless you're in a quicksand hole up to the roof, the 8000 lb winch (especially an M8000) is going to hoist you out of there with little effort.

ndrugby 04-18-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basecamper (Post 2275895)
Looks great nrugby!! :thumb:

FWIW here is the tube version installed

Nice! What lights do you have? That's on my list of possible additions, especially since the brackets came with the bumper and are just sitting there in the garage tempting me to install them.

C6Rubicon 04-18-2012 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine with the Warn 9.5 cti

basecamper 04-18-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 2275920)
Nice! What lights do you have? That's on my list of possible additions, especially since the brackets came with the bumper and are just sitting there in the garage tempting me to install them.

They are hella rallye 4000 compacts from rallylights.com

ndrugby 04-18-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffyc04 (Post 2275898)
Understandable, but honestly since you have a 2-door, unless you're in a quicksand hole up to the roof, the 8000 lb winch (especially an M8000) is going to hoist you out of there with little effort.

Fair enough. BTW, the warn bumper was my #2 option. But I've been a fan of the AEV bumper for a while and was hoping they would make a tubeless version. When I saw the COD version, I was psyched. Price was the only factor.

The final straw. I got a great deal on AEV rear bumper take off from a COD. So Those savings pushed me to the AEV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C6Rubicon (Post 2276001)
Here's mine with the Warn 9.5 cti

Looks nice! I've been getting creative thinking about where to mount my plate after winch install. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best: the fairlead. Looks like that's where I'll put it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basecamper (Post 2276010)
They are hella rallye 4000 compacts from rallylights.com

Thanks

kbwwolf 04-18-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 2276825)
The final straw. I got a great deal on AEV rear bumper take off from a COD. So Those savings pushed me to the AEV.

That's right, you got 1/2 off or something on the rear. Definitely makes the total $$ outlay a little less painful.

Looks good so far. :thumb:

NoTasker 04-18-2012 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed the AEV Premium bumper with a Warn M-8000-s winch. I had considered the 9.5cti-s winch but it was $400 more than the M-8000-s. In my mind, the savings just went to other mods and I still got a quality winch.

ndrugby 04-18-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTasker
I installed the AEV Premium bumper with a Warn M-8000-s winch. I had considered the 9.5cti-s winch but it was $400 more than the M-8000-s. In my mind, the savings just went to other mods and I still got a quality winch.

Nice! Looks like winch is mostly hidden, except for half the control box (if the light bar was off). I like it.

Is the control box center mounted? Did you need to buy a bracket to do that if so?

NoTasker 04-18-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby

Nice! Looks like winch is mostly hidden, except for half the control box (if the light bar was off). I like it.

Is the control box center mounted? Did you need to buy a bracket to do that if so?

You are correct - the control box is center mounted. The new version of the M-8000-s allows the control box to be center mounted. I lucked out as I didn't realize it when I ordered the winch. :-)

LBrito 04-19-2012 02:04 AM

ndrugby, man that adds some nice character to the Jeep!

NoTasker, you're killing me man... posting pics of a Deep Cherry Red with the AEV bumper and LED light bar. I had just convinced myself that I don't really need a front bumper, and I should do other mods that would be more value added, and now I'm back at thinking about a front bumper... sweet looking Jeep!

Duffyc04 04-19-2012 09:25 AM

Notasker - You're killing me too haha. That bumper/winch combo is just what I want...Still rattling my brain about if I want to go with the Warn Elite though...It would be nice to have that extra $500 in my pocket.

bwbrown1 04-19-2012 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine with the tube... Got the AEV rear bumper as well. Love them!

NoTasker 04-19-2012 11:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments on the bumper combo. I wondered if I had done the right thing (due to cost) but I have no regrets. I'm very happy with the combo. I had considered the Warn elite bumper originally as I like the look. What changed my mind was the Warn was heavier and I wanted to keep weight as part of the consideration. That was also part of the reasoning for going with the synthetic line on the winch (of course safety was a factor too).

When you see the bumper matched with the rear AEV bumper and tire carrier, the decision was made. The pic is not the best and looks better in person. My only wish was the bumper had embedded lights (like LOD bumper) but I just topped it with a defused Rigid dally.

Power Hungry 04-19-2012 11:31 PM

Do those bumpers have any recovery points on them? I'm looking at this on my phone, so maybe I've just missed them.

NoTasker 04-19-2012 11:37 PM

There are two places on each bumper for putting on a d-ring. I haven't as I don't want them to run away. I keep the d-ring and the other recovery stuff in an action packer in the back of the jeep. I'll try and take a few photos tomorrow and post them (showing the recovery points).

JKashat 04-20-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTasker (Post 2276926)

Don't want to thread jack so....
Could you PM me with infer on how you got the 20" E-Series Mounted up and clear your winch? I have the same version of the AEV front bumper, with a WARN 9.5cti-s, and the 20" E-Series, and I couldn't get the light to clear the winch with the brackets that come with it. I had to space it up which I don't like.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/eeb18ccc.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/8cab1e4f.jpg

And, to the OP...
Nice looking Jeep, keep up the good work!
:wavey:

NoTasker 04-21-2012 02:40 PM

JKashat - PM sent.

KarlG 04-21-2012 06:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndrugby (Post 2276825)
I've been getting creative thinking about where to mount my plate after winch install. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best: the fairlead. Looks like that's where I'll put it.

Your new bumper looks great and the tubeless bumper has more grill clearance room that the Premium tubed until all the "old stock" bumpers are sold by the Vendors and replaced with the newly redesigned Premium hooped bumper that AEV has had in production since @ early march which has the same grill clearance cut out as the COD/tubeless bumper.

As far as plate mounting, we are required in NY to have front plates. You basically have two options. If you end up with a wire rope winch with conventional fairleads, you can just buy two maglight mounting brackets and mount your plates to the back and they will clip to the rollers on the fairlead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

If you go with a synthetic rope you have two options.

Option 1-replace metal roller leads with Daystar plastic rollers and use Mag clips as per above:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Option 2-if you go with an aluminum hawse, Warrior Products makes a hawse lead mounting bracket that mounts between the hawse lead and bumper and uses knobs to attach the plate.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/images/pro...or/war2360.jpg

Be aware some hawses are too thick to work with the Warrior bracket and you have to do some minor tabbing which using the WP bracket and screws as a base, and mounting plate can work. My Warn hawse lead that came with the 9.5cti-s was too thick to use the bracket and here are some pics of the solution.

Attachment 115786

Attachment 115787

Attachment 115789

Attachment 115788

ndrugby 04-21-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG

Your new bumper looks great and the tubeless bumper has more grill clearance room that the Premium tubed until all the "old stock" bumpers are sold by the Vendors and replaced with the newly redesigned Premium hooped bumper that AEV has had in production since @ early march which has the same grill clearance cut out as the COD/tubeless bumper.

As far as plate mounting, we are required in NY to have front plates. You basically have two options. If you end up with a wire rope winch with conventional fairleads, you can just buy two maglight mounting brackets and mount your plates to the back and they will clip to the rollers on the fairlead.

If you go with a synthetic rope you have two options.

Option 1-replace metal roller leads with Daystar plastic rollers and use Mag clips as per above:

Option 2-if you go with an aluminum hawse, Warrior Products makes a hawse lead mounting bracket that mounts between the hawse lead and bumper and uses knobs to attach the plate.

Be aware some hawses are too thick to work with the Warrior bracket and you have to do some minor tabbing which using the WP bracket and screws as a base, and mounting plate can work. My Warn hawse lead that came with the 9.5cti-s was too thick to use the bracket and here are some pics of the solution.

Thanks! I saw this yesterday. Adding it to your options. We'll see what I end up with.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-426-...te-holder.aspx