Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Bought my first jeep today. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/bought-my-first-jeep-today-154780.html)

crosma 04-20-2012 04:51 AM

Bought my first jeep today.
 
Picked up an '89 YJ today. 4.2 6cyl, automatic. Amazingly rust free. Everything about the jeep is super clean for being 23 years old. The only problems of note are the suspension being flat (driving the hour home felt like :banghead: every time I hit a bump). The other issue is that whoever spent the most time in the drivers seat sat sideways or something, there is much ass molding to be done.

First order of action is to pick out a lift kit and get this thing bouncy again.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...4978/34990.jpg

http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/...4978/34991.jpg

0III0forlife 04-20-2012 06:44 AM

Nice looking ride. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, unless you switch the suspension over to coils, you arent going to be real happy with the ride if you dont like the stock springs. It only gets stiffer with arched lift springs. You have a classic ride there, definately JEEP...lol

0III0forlife 04-20-2012 06:52 AM

As far as the seats, go to a scrap yard and find a set of bucket seats from a late '90s GM 2 door coupe car. They bolt right in without any brackets. The 4 bolt pattern is the same. I got mine out of a Pontiac Grand-Am, but, the Cavalier and similar cars all have the same style seats. Some have arm rests, others are power with lumbar, depends on what you want. Seats from a 2-door coupe recline, while seats from a 4-door sedan do not, again all in what you want.

natax 04-20-2012 10:11 AM

OIIIOforlife, I disagree. My 4" lift is alot more comfortable than the stock leafs. Mainly becuase the lifts are usually (in my opinion) better quality, since it is afterall a lift for offroad purpose. Flat leafs suck, and the stock ones (once they go bad) are rough beyond belief. I believe he is referring to the leafs being bad and needing replaced anyways so he is going to go ahead and lift it. Though I could be wrong. Congrats on the jeep man! Welcome to the YJ club!

4Pnuts 04-20-2012 10:22 AM

Congratulations! My 2012 is only 5 months old and already looks well aged underneath compared to yours.
Enjoy!

natax 04-20-2012 10:27 AM

Ewww... 2012 4door....I see about 90% of Jeeps around here are newer jeeps and 99% of that 90% is 1. teenagers, 2. older men, 3. women, and 4. they are all mall crawlers. I am glad that you actually use yours as a jeep though! But I laugh at the punk kids with the new wranglers,that their parents bought them (black of course because they are hipsters) and have those big black "gangster" wheels and any tire that is either 1. a performance (racing/ricer) tire or 2. a very thin AT tire. It makes me question humanity.

Charley24 04-20-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natax (Post 2282633)
Ewww... 2012 4door....I see about 90% of Jeeps around here are newer jeeps and 99% of that 90% is 1. teenagers, 2. older men, 3. women, and 4. they are all mall crawlers. I am glad that you actually use yours as a jeep though! But I laugh at the punk kids with the new wranglers,that their parents bought them (black of course because they are hipsters) and have those big black "gangster" wheels and any tire that is either 1. a performance (racing/ricer) tire or 2. a very thin AT tire. It makes me question humanity.

To each his own, I say. If everyone set theirs up the way I think they should it would get pretty boring quickly. Those teenagers may not like the way we set ours up either. Who cares!! As far as OIIIOforlife, my '93 is pristine like yours, only it has a 3" lift with 31.10's. It rides a little rough, but it's a YJ, and that's what they do. Do a 2.5" spring lift, put some good medium shocks like Skyjacker Hydro's, take off the track bars and you'll love it. Just accept the fact it's not a Cadillac and enjoy it!! Oh, I forgot, nice Jeep!!!

Xpress 04-20-2012 11:37 AM

Stock YJ leafs are flat from the factory... Remove your track bars, those stiffen up the suspension a LOT. Once the stock leafs are worn in the ride is quite smooth (for leafs).

Harmbl 04-20-2012 11:37 AM

I just went to pick a part and picked up a set of leather seats out of a PT crusier for $50 had to drill one hole in each mounting bracket. By the way Nice ride, welcome to the YJ`s!!

crosma 04-20-2012 12:26 PM

0III0forlife, thanks for the seat info. I'll definitely start calling junkyards as soon as I'm done fixing the important things. As for the suspension, I don't think anything is going to be worse than this.

natax, exactly. Flat leafs = lift time.

Ianbeaulieu 04-20-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natax (Post 2282633)
Ewww... 2012 4door....I see about 90% of Jeeps around here are newer jeeps and 99% of that 90% is 1. teenagers, 2. older men, 3. women, and 4. they are all mall crawlers. I am glad that you actually use yours as a jeep though! But I laugh at the punk kids with the new wranglers,that their parents bought them (black of course because they are hipsters) and have those big black "gangster" wheels and any tire that is either 1. a performance (racing/ricer) tire or 2. a very thin AT tire. It makes me question humanity.

Everybodys got their likes and dislikes, im in highschool and i bought my own jeep, ive got an old 87 YJ, i blacked out the rims and the light area and in my opinion it looks better with it like that

Xpress 04-20-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosma (Post 2283040)
natax, exactly. Flat leafs = lift time.

Except, like I said, they were flat from the factory... so... :whistling:

Either way, nothing wrong with lifting it.

94silversyj 04-22-2012 05:47 PM

Nice! Yeah I love my yj with 2.5 lift not to much and not to less!

jk'n 04-22-2012 06:48 PM

Hmmmmm, must have hit the wrong button, post didn't work.

Looks like you got yourself a nice looking jeep.

My 92 has some body rust but the tub and frame on mine are solid. My son drives it now that he has his license. He seems to enjoy using it. We are going to be painting it in parts this summer if we have the time to do it.

Let the work begin on yours.....it is a work of art in progress at any time.

Nubby55 04-22-2012 07:10 PM

NICE RIDE, your springs look to have more arch that the new stock springs I just put on 1 year ago, it may have a 2" or so lift now.

Nubby55 04-22-2012 07:13 PM

Do you have 4 or 5 leaves in the front? I put new Crown 4 leaves in the front of mine and they are flat! may be I need 5 leave.

87yjmpi 04-22-2012 11:07 PM

Nice!

JeeperSter 04-22-2012 11:11 PM

Sweet! I found an 88 in same condition about 2 months ago... by the time I got the cash... someone else beat me to it:doh: one owner 88 with 58K on the clock, never been off road and was some rich old guys garage kept toy

natax 04-22-2012 11:17 PM

I didn't mean anything bad about the new jeeps or anything. I am just against kids being spoiled in America and their parents buying them 30k vehicles and then they act better than us with older jeeps that are (in my opinion) more badass than their brand new one. Yes, to each their own, but why would you LIFT a Wrangler just to put gaudy rims and some thinner ATs on it? That is like lifting a Z71 pickup and putting spinners and pirelli tires on it. Kind of pointless in my opinion, but yes, to each their own. No matter how pointless it may be, lol.

Harmbl 04-23-2012 08:36 AM

X2!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by natax (Post 2291551)
i didn't mean anything bad about the new jeeps or anything. I am just against kids being spoiled in america and their parents buying them 30k vehicles and then they act better than us with older jeeps that are (in my opinion) more badass than their brand new one. Yes, to each their own, but why would you lift a wrangler just to put gaudy rims and some thinner ats on it? That is like lifting a z71 pickup and putting spinners and pirelli tires on it. Kind of pointless in my opinion, but yes, to each their own. No matter how pointless it may be, lol.


Ianbeaulieu 04-23-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natax (Post 2291551)
I didn't mean anything bad about the new jeeps or anything. I am just against kids being spoiled in America and their parents buying them 30k vehicles and then they act better than us with older jeeps that are (in my opinion) more badass than their brand new one. Yes, to each their own, but why would you LIFT a Wrangler just to put gaudy rims and some thinner ATs on it? That is like lifting a Z71 pickup and putting spinners and pirelli tires on it. Kind of pointless in my opinion, but yes, to each their own. No matter how pointless it may be, lol.

I totally agree, i saw a teenager the other day who bought a jeep and lowered it :facepalm: i wanted to run him over lol i think kids shouldnt have expensive toys like that considering that they will probably wreck it lol

crosma 04-24-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 2284249)
Except, like I said, they were flat from the factory... so... :whistling:

Either way, nothing wrong with lifting it.

I shouldn't say flat I guess. I should say dead and worthless. I literally got stuck getting out the driveway (it needs leveled at the road badly) and had to go to 4wd. Dead serious, the wheel was sitting over a an 1.5" deep pot hole and just spun. Was cool to have a use for 4wd my second day driving it though. :dance:


Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 2290550)
Hmmmmm, must have hit the wrong button, post didn't work.

Looks like you got yourself a nice looking jeep.

My 92 has some body rust but the tub and frame on mine are solid. My son drives it now that he has his license. He seems to enjoy using it. We are going to be painting it in parts this summer if we have the time to do it.

Let the work begin on yours.....it is a work of art in progress at any time.

Thanks. And the work will begin probably tomorrow. Looks like my parts will be here. Full suspension kit, 2.5" inches, shackles, brake lines and mirror relocation.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubby55 (Post 2290623)
Do you have 4 or 5 leaves in the front? I put new Crown 4 leaves in the front of mine and they are flat! may be I need 5 leave.

No idea TBH. Doesn't matter though, they are gone in a matter of days.


Quote:

Originally Posted by 87yjmpi (Post 2291508)
Nice!

:D


Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeperSter (Post 2291531)
Sweet! I found an 88 in same condition about 2 months ago... by the time I got the cash... someone else beat me to it:doh: one owner 88 with 58K on the clock, never been off road and was some rich old guys garage kept toy

Snooze and ya... :doh:


Quote:

Originally Posted by natax (Post 2291551)
I didn't mean anything bad about the new jeeps or anything. I am just against kids being spoiled in America and their parents buying them 30k vehicles and then they act better than us with older jeeps that are (in my opinion) more badass than their brand new one. Yes, to each their own, but why would you LIFT a Wrangler just to put gaudy rims and some thinner ATs on it? That is like lifting a Z71 pickup and putting spinners and pirelli tires on it. Kind of pointless in my opinion, but yes, to each their own. No matter how pointless it may be, lol.

x4

natax 04-24-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu (Post 2293229)
I totally agree, i saw a teenager the other day who bought a jeep and lowered it :facepalm: i wanted to run him over lol i think kids shouldnt have expensive toys like that considering that they will probably wreck it lol

Yeah, I see them all the time and they always have 1-3 of their little punk friends with them and they see me, with my YJ, and they kind of laugh, but yet I am sitting just as high as them and I'm covered in mud with scratches and dents and they just got their jeep waxed. God made rain to watch jeeps, haha.

CharTay 04-24-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianbeaulieu

I totally agree, i saw a teenager the other day who bought a jeep and lowered it :facepalm: i wanted to run him over lol i think kids shouldnt have expensive toys like that considering that they will probably wreck it lol

I'm 18 haha but I have a yj and I payed for it all 6 grand haha and its taller and will go anywhere my dad's 30 grand Jeep will go

busemans 04-24-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosma (Post 2296118)
I shouldn't say flat I guess. I should say dead and worthless. I literally got stuck getting out the driveway (it needs leveled at the road badly) and had to go to 4wd. Dead serious, the wheel was sitting over a an 1.5" deep pot hole and just spun. Was cool to have a use for 4wd my second day driving it though. :dance:

unfortunately, its because you have good sway bars. you need to get some disconnects or you tires will stay off the ground but you do need sways so don;t toss them like the trac bars that can be tossed (if they are not required for your safety inspection or vehicle inspection)

Xpress 04-24-2012 05:27 PM

crosma, toss the track bars then. They limit flex by a lot. They probably only let it flex 1/3 or less what it should be capable of flexing.

AKohler883 05-11-2012 03:43 PM

Nice ! I just bought a 94. It is in good shape as well. It was garage kept. It has stock 215/75-15 tires, but for some reason your look much bigger, maybe just because mine are bald.
I just got a set of 15x8 American Racing AR767's for it, and am currently looking for a set of 31" tires. Hopefully they fit, as my suspension seems to be a bit "flat" as well ....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.