Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Keep hard top? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/keep-hard-top-155708.html)

Kempo 04-24-2012 09:49 AM

Keep hard top?

Hey guys! I'm looking for some insight from my forum friends, since summer is coming I would like to get a soft top for my TJ. I currently have a hard top in perfect condition and my funds are low. Do you guys think it is a good idea to sell my hard top in order to purchase a new soft top? Has anyone done this and if so please share your experience! Thank you in advance!

ac99wrangler 04-24-2012 10:08 AM

I honestly think it depends on where you live. I live in the northeast and it's nice to have the hardtop during the winter months

Kempo 04-24-2012 10:19 AM

I also live in the NE (long Island), I'm curious if the winters are really bad with a soft top or not?

tentay 04-24-2012 10:22 AM

I would keep the hard top, good condition TJ factory hard tops are hard to come by. I have a hard top and got a soft top after. I run the hardtop all winter because I hate highway driving with the soft top up its miserable. The only time I have the top up on the highway is the winter. When it warms up I built a wood hard top cart from chrysler plans to store the hard top and put the soft top on for summer as my emergency top.

Atthehop 04-24-2012 10:42 AM

I live in the northeast and only run a soft top with half doors all year. Plus I do not have a garage but clear any snow off completely if it snows. My heater works soo well I have to turn it down part way to work. I did add seat heaters for the wife to keep her happy. Bought the tj new in 04 and very happy I didn't spend the money on a hard top. My yj had one and it was a real pain to remove and store.

Blindeman 04-24-2012 11:38 AM

If it were tan, I'd recommend selling it to me! But, yes, I would keep it. soft tops are great in the spring/summer/fall, but a hard top helps in the winter if your rig is a dd.

Logirl 04-24-2012 11:40 AM

Blindeman..I'm thinking of selling my tan hard top..98 tj..pm me if interested

TJDave 04-24-2012 11:44 AM

It all depends on you, and if you have room to store it. I still have my factory hard top. I only use it about 2 months a year....except this year. It's been hanging in my garage since last spring. I never needed it this year. But, it's not hurting anything, or in the way, so I'm keeping it. Maybe we will have a bad enough winter next year to use it again.

I run my factory soft top most of the year. If I had a choice of only one top, or no place to store a hard top, I would choose to run the soft top year round.

KBR97 04-24-2012 11:45 AM

I will buy it for $100...I'll even come pick it up. :D

dolson60174 04-24-2012 12:56 PM

keep your hard top...in the summer i run no doors, full safari top and a CRES net I thought of going for the element doors for those summer showers :) but its all alot cheaper then going for a full soft top, plus its a pain to go from soft to hard tops and removing and installing all of the hardware....

Logirl 04-24-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBR97
I will buy it for $100...I'll even come pick it up. :D

Nah..can't go that low

Blackpony04 04-24-2012 03:15 PM

I would add that a hardtop will never age but a soft top will need replacing eventually. That may not be a big deal to you but it's something to think about if you plan on keeping your Jeep for a long time. Avoid making a decision in the short term that you might regret in the long run.

dolson60174 04-24-2012 05:30 PM

^^^x2

SecretAgentMan 04-24-2012 05:38 PM

I bought my 04 with both the hard top and the soft top. The hard top came off on day 2 and got sold on eBay. I live in NJ and do just fine with the soft top. It's garaged and is not my daily driver. I haven't had any winter issues regarding heat. The factory soft top is pretty heavy, though. It might be an issue with an aftermarket soft top.

bwpilot20 04-24-2012 06:05 PM

I run soft top only year round and the only complaint I have is road noise on LONG trips will get to you. But of course If it's warm then I put it down anyways and live life ;)

Snow is no prob in a soft top and neither is heat as long as it works. However, once you get rid of a hard top it's hard finding another one without lots of $$$

KBR97 04-24-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logirl (Post 2297734)
Nah..can't go that low

Hey it was worth a try :whistling:.

Honestly, if you have the room to keep it stored while you have a soft top on the Jeep I would keep it.

SurfKaster 04-24-2012 06:51 PM

If possible, I suggest keeping it for one year just to be sure. Being that you're up north you might very well be missing it next winter. I suggest the trektop NX if you have no hardware for a softop. Comes with everything you need & can be had for just over $500 off amazon. Come next year if you see you're not using it then unload it.

Kempo 04-24-2012 07:03 PM

Thank for all the input guys! At this point I will keep my hard top and just start saving for a Trextop. I guess i just got ahead of myslef think i could sell it for $1000 and spend the money on new upgrades :)

Kempo 04-24-2012 07:05 PM

Is the trextop NX easily removable on sunny days?

Thuull 04-24-2012 07:13 PM

Add me to the list of Northeasterners who run softtop year 'round. It's really not been an issue at all. In fact, I have a buddy who's only got a hardtop and I feel sorry for him, because he ends up keeping it on most of the summer due to storage problems and the fact that it's a pain in the butt to put on and take off.

jp2611 04-24-2012 07:18 PM

I had a hard top when I had my YJ....My TJ came with only a Soft top and it has been fine even down to -4 .....and 36" snow storm. My JK came with only a soft top.....all that being said...If I found a really good deal on a hard top for either Jeep I would buy it.....but it would have to be a really, really good deal. I would use a hard top from Thanksgiving to Easter MAYBE!!

But I do have room/ garage so storage is no issue. If I already had one I wouldn't sell it.

Bottom line my soft tops are fine..but wouldn't thumb my nose at a hard top.

SurfKaster 04-24-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kempo (Post 2298587)
Is the trextop NX easily removable on sunny days?

Yes, & even has a sunrider feature if you don't want to take the whole top off. Check out this thread for more info.

nissanman1 04-25-2012 04:16 PM

you'll never sell it for as much as you may have to pay for one later on if you change your mind. put it out back and cover it up. I just took my hard top off for the first time and bought a soft top for the summer too and i'm keeping my hardtop.