Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Washington Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/)
-   -   New to WA, Tacoma/Ft Lewis Area (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f57/new-to-wa-tacoma-ft-lewis-area-155941.html)

Aztinuz 04-25-2012 12:20 AM

New to WA, Tacoma/Ft Lewis Area

Copied this from my "intro" post in the newbie forum. Any of you guys near the Tacoma area?

Name's Daniel and just joined up on here. Have been a member of a few other jeep sites for about 5 years but they have no "chapters" so to speak in the Washington area which I will be moving to in about 30 days. So did some looking and found this forum. Hoping to get linked up with some wheelers in the Tacoma/Ft Lewis area. Definitely looking forward to some new wheeling experiences in some new terrain. Texas wheeling is great but it sure is HOT! LoL.

'00 TJ, 4" lift, 37" MTRs, 4.56 gears, Locked front/rear, SYE, Custom fenders, Rock Sliders, Tom Woods Shafts, Chromoly Axle Shafts, and best of all it has a nice home on my trailer so I don't have to worry about driving it to work on Monday after breaking it on Saturday. I'm sure there are more mods that I can't think of at the moment since its midnight. Looking forward to some good wheeling with some good folks when I get there.

nwapache 04-25-2012 01:36 AM

Welcome aboard ... Lots of kick ass trails up here, and plenty of folks to wheel with. Shout out when you get settled in.

badmts 05-04-2012 12:42 AM

Hot is something we DO NOT TOLERATE in the PNW ! 90% of the time it is between 45 & 70 and overcast! Actually the best wheelin weather if you ask me! If you can see Mt. Rainier bring your rain gear if you CAN'T see Mt.Rainier WEAR your rain gear! I live just outside the McChord field gate of JBLM (Ft. Lewis is no more) and wheel 3 or more time a month.With that kind of set up you will want to learn about "ELBE HILLS" asap-look at some elbe hills,busy wild youtube vids! i will be glad to show you,too!

sean112280 05-04-2012 01:54 AM

I'm at JBLM as well. I live on post

Ubergopher 05-04-2012 12:24 PM

I use to be stationed at McChord, then JBLM, then I escaped. I don't know much about the area as far as trails go, but if you need a mechanic I'd recommend Simmon's Automotive.. I hope you enjoy your assignment though!

When I had trouble with my jeep he gave me the straight scoop on how boned my jeep was, and then didn't charge me for any of those services. He also helped me out with pre-inspections of replacement vehicles I was going to buy to replace it at a very cheap cost.

Aztinuz 05-06-2012 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. That is definitely different kind of wheeling on the elbe hills videos than I'm used to, primarily wheel on rocks here in tx. Looks fun though. Think I'm going to have to invest in a top and some doors though. How far from jblm is that elbe hills?

Badmts, we'll have to link up when I get there. Planning to be there before june 1st.

cowboy85085 05-06-2012 12:42 PM

I live on north fort of jblm. Few different adopts to go around base, all within two hours. Hit us up when you get here!

badmts 05-07-2012 12:39 AM

Elbe hills is about 40 miles,Evans creek is also about 40,Tahuya maybe as much as 50 but mostly Interstate/limited access so it goes faster. but I am going to tell you a secret(do not tell anyone else) Nisqually rec area and some other places(wink,wink) ARE ON JBLM! This is how I can wheel 3-5 days a month.Yeah I know the signs say,"blah blah blah,FEDERAL CRIME,blah blah,USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED-JUST KIDDING! This is not the greatest video but shows a small example of JBLM wheeling "Recovering a Jeep Wrangler from the Fort Lewis Mud"

nwbronco 05-07-2012 08:49 AM

Not much of a secret. And be advised, the federal cops do patrol that area. I've had to pull them out a time or two. Ended badly for a few wheelin and drinkin buddies as well.

Bob K.

Drix 05-09-2012 06:52 PM

In 3 months I have seen 3 trucks stuck in the ft Lewis mud alongside the range roads.

JayMan5150 05-18-2012 03:02 PM

Hey fellas.

I got to Lewis last summer and deployed right after signing in. I just ordered a 2013 from ENCS and looking forward to checking out the wheeling when i get back next month.

badmts 05-19-2012 03:10 AM

DAMMIT JayMan ! Can't you DEPLOY any faster!We need you safe back here at JBLM ASAP! These AIRMEN can't handle the WILD WOMEN or ORV areas around here (I know this 'cause I'm an old SOLDIER). GODSPEED brother -see you when you get here!

Aztinuz 05-19-2012 07:45 AM

Got the Jeep loaded on the trailer and the family packed up and Washington bound today. Hoping to be there by Wednesday!

JayMan5150 05-19-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmts (Post 2383366)
DAMMIT JayMan ! Can't you DEPLOY any faster!We need you safe back here at JBLM ASAP! These AIRMEN can't handle the WILD WOMEN or ORV areas around here (I know this 'cause I'm an old SOLDIER). GODSPEED brother -see you when you get here!

Hah! Doing my best to get out of here on time, brother!

I'm trying to locate a cheep knock around jeep to drive till the '13 model is delivered.

Hey - good time to ask... any consensus on the best off-road shop / or most military friendly one to help me kit out my jeep? I would really appreciate the advice, guys.

badmts 05-20-2012 04:50 AM

4 wheel parts on south tacoma way and Billy Bob's on meridian in Puyallup wa. are by far the largest .there are some independents and individuals on the forum that do some good work too.

JayMan5150 05-20-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmts (Post 2385996)
4 wheel parts on south tacoma way and Billy Bob's on meridian in Puyallup wa. are by far the largest .there are some independents and individuals on the forum that do some good work too.

Thanks! I've heard that Northridge 4x4 is supposed to be pretty nice as well. I'm sorting through what I want to upgrade my jeep with once I get my hands on it. Probably AEV wheels & 33in tires first, bumper/winch 2nd, coin tossing over some preformance kit (CAI, TMD hood) or AEV 2.5in lift next.

Aztinuz 05-23-2012 03:51 PM

Arrived late Monday night to Spanaway/Frederickson area. Beautiful up here just hope the rain slows down. When does winter start around here?

sean112280 05-28-2012 11:02 PM

Welcome. I got here to JBLM in November. Haven't had a chance to get out yet.

badmts 05-29-2012 02:12 PM

Washington weather is a little strange due to elevations and which side of Rainier you are on-Mt.Baker Wa. sometimes gets 500+ inches of snow in a season where the Puget Sound might not see anything but 37-42 degrees and drizzle for 30 days straight,Yakima is super dry and can swing from 50 at night to 100+ in the same day(sub 0 in winter) But the best short answer I can give is December to March and if you go high enough snow wheeling can be found all year

Aztinuz 05-29-2012 03:01 PM

Cool thanks for the answer. Will you be doing any wheeling anyone soon? I've definitely got the itch to get out and wheel.

zeprider25 06-08-2012 12:52 PM

nice jeep definately hit up elbe and evans creek

Tippittrg 06-09-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmts

Billy Bob's moved from South Hill to Edgewood. About 6 miles or so to the north.