Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   rear sway bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rear-sway-bar-156322.html)

justin_brown 04-26-2012 04:56 PM

rear sway bar
 
What is the advantage/ disadvantage of disconnecting a rear swaybar... And if anyone has before and after pictures

local15Rob 04-26-2012 04:59 PM

Its the same as if you disconnect the front-more articulation

91badass 04-26-2012 05:01 PM

I dont run a rear sway bar

Cons_Table 04-26-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by local15Rob (Post 2306287)
Its the same as if you disconnect the front-more articulation

A rear sway bar adds stability offroad. In off camber situations, it can become more unstable without the rear connected. Disconnecting the rear provides minimal useable flex. If all you do is hit the RTI ramp, have fun disconnecting it. Other than that there are more cons than pros.

If it was a common thing to do, don't you think companies would make quick discos for the rear like they do the front? :whistling:

Cons_Table 04-26-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91badass (Post 2306292)
I dont run a rear sway bar

You would probably gain more stability and/or traction if you left it on...or if you went with an aftermarket unit like the Currie.

Imped 04-26-2012 06:16 PM

Ignorant thoughts:

No rear sway bar is good
No rear sway bar gives me an advantage
No rear sway bar gives me better "flex"
Flex matters more than anything else
Stability is a secondary concern


If you play on the bunny hills, then you likely won't notice a difference. If you like to actually have some fun, then you'll learn to appreciate proper sway bars more than about anything else. You have a link suspension. Run sway bars.

Cons_Table 04-26-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped
Ignorant thoughts:

No rear sway bar is good
No rear sway bar gives me an advantage
No rear sway bar gives me better "flex"
Flex matters more than anything else
Stability is a secondary concern

If you play on the bunny hills, then you likely won't notice a difference. If you like to actually have some fun, then you'll learn to appreciate proper sway bars more than about anything else. You have a link suspension. Run sway bars.

I was waiting for u or jerry to make a comment on this thread :popcorn:

JPi1 04-26-2012 10:15 PM

Problem solved

justin_brown 04-26-2012 10:16 PM

What all does it take to install one of those

JPi1 04-26-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown
What all does it take to install one of those

A good welder and a couple of hours, and the front is very simple.

justin_brown 04-26-2012 11:20 PM

Will it work without a body lift?

JPi1 04-26-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown
Will it work without a body lift?

Yes it does, this LJ had no body lift, but you do need to trim the inner fender for the sway bar arm.

justin_brown 04-26-2012 11:41 PM

Well it work with the factor Exhaust

JPi1 04-26-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown
Well it work with the factor Exhaust

Yes it will. Heres a couple of the front:

91badass 04-27-2012 08:51 AM

According to Rock Krawler, the 4 link long arm kit I have removes the need for the rear sway bar.

Imped 04-27-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91badass (Post 2308376)
According to Rock Krawler, the 4 link long arm kit I have removes the need for the rear sway bar.

That's completely incorrect. Instead of taking their word for it, why not determine why they would think that? Whatever their reasoning, I don't buy it because it just holds no weight.

Hint: The number of links and way in which they're mounted has nothing to do with the function of a sway bar.

justin_brown 04-27-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1

Yes it will. Heres a couple of the front:

I have one of those in the front... With a quick disco switch... would it be worth my while to get one for the back?

91badass 04-27-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 2308397)
That's completely incorrect. Instead of taking their word for it, why not determine why they would think that? Whatever their reasoning, I don't buy it because it just holds no weight.

Hint: The number of links and way in which they're mounted has nothing to do with the function of a sway bar.

Ok, I was way off, it gets rid of the rear track bar. I've been out 3 times on some decent trails and no issues, doing John Bull this weekend, should be a good test.

Imped 04-27-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown (Post 2308494)
I have one of those in the front... With a quick disco switch...

Maybe I'm not understanding....but you have a front AntiRock with a what?
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown (Post 2308494)
would it be worth my while to get one for the back?

AntiRocks front and rear is an amazing setup. Awesome handling on the road, awesome stability off it without doing a thing during the transition.

Cons_Table 04-27-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91badass
According to Rock Krawler, the 4 link long arm kit I have removes the need for the rear sway bar.

Both the 5.5 triple threat and the 5.5 x factor kits come with extended rear links. They say that their triangulated 4 link rear removes the need for a track bar...but they never mentioned getting rid of the sway bar. U may look into putting one on, in a tough situation, a rear sway bar may be the difference between all 4 tires on the ground or a flop.

Edit: looks like u found that information on the sway bar

Imped 04-27-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91badass (Post 2308520)
Ok, I was way off, it gets rid of the rear track bar. I've been out 3 times on some decent trails and no issues, doing John Bull this weekend, should be a good test.

There you go. :thumb:

You don't need a track bar to laterally constrain the axle because the triangulation between the upper arms take care of that.

And just to add to the sway bar discussion and how it relates to suspension: an aftermarket or custom single triangulated 4 link will normally raise the roll axis height of the rig, which = less body roll. That means that you'll feel less of a difference on the road between having a sway bar and not having one. That doesn't mean it's any less important, though. That's why one's "feel" on the subject needs to be taken out of the equation and replaced by logic and what's actually going on.

Imped 04-27-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2308544)
U may look into putting one on, in a tough situation, a rear sway bar may be the difference between all 4 tires on the ground or a flop.

Just to add a little credit to that statement......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ver2011082.jpg

That's when I was running a completely different suspension setup and still running the stock rear sway bar but I had broken a sway bar link earlier in the day so it wasn't doing anything for me. I firmly believe it wouldn't have gone over if that bar was helping me out.

Cons_Table 04-27-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped

Just to add a little credit to that statement......

That's when I was running a completely different suspension setup and still running the stock rear sway bar but I had broken a sway bar link earlier in the day so it wasn't doing anything for me. I firmly believe it wouldn't have gone over if that bar was helping me out.

Oops :doh:

justin_brown 04-27-2012 09:50 AM

[QUOTE="Imped"]
Maybe I'm not understanding....but you have a front AntiRock with a what?

its not anti rock its some purge Co. and I can completely dis engage it

Imped 04-27-2012 10:03 AM

Skyjacker Rocklock? Just a fancy, overpriced pair of quick disconnect links. Very dumb.

ORO SwayLoc? Dual rate sway bar that works well. I'm not a fan but it's not a bad product....I just prefer the KISS principle.

Or something else? Post up a picture.

justin_brown 04-27-2012 10:05 AM

Ive got the sky jacker... My grand parents got it for me for Christmas... I didn't know there was anything better at the time

Imped 04-27-2012 10:07 AM

Lesson learned. When it's got the name Skyjacker involved, you can always bank on there being much better products out there.

justin_brown 04-27-2012 10:08 AM

What it the best that you know of

Imped 04-27-2012 10:16 AM

Refer back to what I've already said in this thread, like post 19. What do you think?

justin_brown 04-27-2012 10:22 AM

How exactly does it work... how do you get the flex out of it


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.