Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Do I need to re-gear? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/do-i-need-to-re-gear-156768.html)

Brian.Sunsetroad 04-28-2012 11:16 PM

Do I need to re-gear?

I just purchased a 2012 JK Sport in which about the only thing that is powered is the drivetrain. In fact my wife laughed at me when we went to the DQ drive-thru the first evening we had the Jeep and I had to roll down the window. I actually get a kick out of it and believe whatever part of one's brain makes us want to revert to vinyl versus digital music also gives us pleasure in the simplicity of not only rolling down a window, but having to reach out and grab the mirror to adjust it. Heaven forbid!

Now to my dilemma, surely one that is not unique to me. My son and I have been debating whether to go with a 3 1/2 inch lift with 35 inch tires (which I do realize would force me to re-gear as I have 3:21s) or else just a 2 inch spacer kit and 33 inch tires. He really wants the 35s for the look which I agree with. However, going that route means about $3K extra in costs for the larger tires and re-gearing. So I guess the main factor in my decision is whether I can get away with 33s with the standard 3:21s without giving up significant performance both in terms of acceleration and mileage.

If not and I would have to re-gear regardless then I would go with the 35s as I really like the more aggressive look. Any insights or help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

RatherBNarizona 04-29-2012 12:02 AM

Welcome! Try making a new thread in the JK section for tech questions, the tech guru's don't come in here :)

MrSig 04-29-2012 04:14 AM

Welcome and enjoy the forum! It is up to you!

Casotakar1229 04-29-2012 06:29 AM

welcome to wf!!

manual everything rocks! :thumb:

I've got 33's with 3.21 gears. will upgrade gears once I decide to go with 35's

blkrubi88 04-29-2012 07:54 AM

Welcome!

SilverSport 04-29-2012 09:58 AM

Welcome Aboard! :wavey:

Brian.Sunsetroad 04-29-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNarizona
Welcome! Try making a new thread in the JK section for tech questions, the tech guru's don't come in here :)

Thanks. Appreciate the guidance!

Beastmaster 04-29-2012 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

07XMan2Door 05-02-2012 01:52 AM

Welcome. You & your Boy are going to have a ball working on that thing together. Research 35 inch tires on here. They do look great, but are pretty hard on certain parts of the Jeep. Particularly the front axle housing & steering knucle C's. There are ways to beef them up. Googel "Off Road Evolution magnum JK sleeves & gussets."

As far as 321's with 33's. I ran that combo for a month & hated it, particulary while offroading.
Enjoy!!