Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF Site Help & Support (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/)
-   -   Edit an old post (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/edit-an-old-post-157552.html)

Rmitchell83 05-02-2012 12:38 PM

Edit an old post

Right after I post something in a thread that I have started, it gives me the option to edit the post. I want to edit a post (in my own thread) from a couple of weeks ago. How can I do this? Thanks

Darkfire 05-02-2012 12:45 PM

Time travel

Rmitchell83 05-02-2012 12:53 PM

anyone know where I can buy a Delorean?

darkproximity 05-02-2012 12:53 PM

you only have the ability to edit anything you post for about 15 minutes after you post it

Darkfire 05-02-2012 01:24 PM

No delorean but I have a spare flux capacitor

Barrie 05-02-2012 01:34 PM

Once the time limit is up only a Moderator or Admin can edit. Ask a Mod or Admin and if possible we will do it.

mojo0107 10-04-2012 12:38 PM

I miss the power of the Mod Edit option...I like not looking like a dummy when I spell KIDS like KITS or somethine lke that.

sevenservices 10-04-2012 01:40 PM

yeah, its funny looking back at some of things I've mispelled over the last few years lol.

DaJigIsUp 02-27-2015 12:59 PM

Is this still a thing? Why can't I edit the original post?
Can someone unlock my account so I can please?

Thanks

Sorry about the bump

kjeeper10 02-28-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJigIsUp (Post 17285794)
Is this still a thing? Why can't I edit the original post? Can someone unlock my account so I can please? Thanks Sorry about the bump

Something I can quickly Edit for you ?

If not, a mod with a PC Will have to open up the post for Edit.

DaJigIsUp 03-01-2015 12:32 PM

Thank you for the offer, but i was wondering what I would have to do to have the ability to do it myself. Most other forums lets you edit your own threads.

For example, if and when I make a Build thread I would like to go back and edit the first post to make it look like a timeline.

kjeeper10 03-01-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJigIsUp (Post 17329338)
Thank you for the offer, but i was wondering what I would have to do to have the ability to do it myself. Most other forums lets you edit your own threads. For example, if and when I make a Build thread I would like to go back and edit the first post to make it look like a timeline.

Yea, unfortunately we have a 30 minute timeline on editing. Sucks .. I know.
As mentioned ... We can open up the post for edit. Just PM any mod or admin.

Something I see done. You can post "save" under the first post .. 5-10 times. Then go back and edit in content later

DaJigIsUp 03-01-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 17333514)

Something I see done. You can post "save" under the first post .. 5-10 times. Then go back and edit in content later

Not really sure what you mean by the 5-10 times part. Even if I save the 2nd post I only have 30 minutes to edit, correct?

kjeeper10 03-01-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJigIsUp (Post 17336922)
Not really sure what you mean by the 5-10 times part. Even if I save the 2nd post I only have 30 minutes to edit, correct?

Sorry .. Yes. You're posting to save space for later. We still need to open the posts for editing.

SRTie4k 03-05-2015 06:39 AM

Just curious, why can't this option be changed at all? Why is it set so that you can't edit a post beyond 15 minutes after being posted in the first place?

Every other forum I'm a member of lets you edit posts any time you want. It makes intuitive sense that being able to edit whenever you need to has far greater usefulness than any reason to disallow long term editing.

For instance, in my for sale thread, I want to be able to edit it on the fly so that when I sell items I can put "SOLD" next to the items in the original post. I also wanted to add "or best offer" in my OP, but I can't. It's kind of annoying having to PM a mod every time something insignificant needs to be changed.

4Jeepn 03-05-2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTie4k (Post 17424866)
Just curious, why can't this option be changed at all? Why is it set so that you can't edit a post beyond 15 minutes after being posted in the first place?

Every other forum I'm a member of lets you edit posts any time you want. It makes intuitive sense that being able to edit whenever you need to has far greater usefulness than any reason to disallow long term editing.

For instance, in my for sale thread, I want to be able to edit it on the fly so that when I sell items I can put "SOLD" next to the items in the original post. I also wanted to add "or best offer" in my OP, but I can't. It's kind of annoying having to PM a mod every time something insignificant needs to be changed.

simple answer: we expect people to be accountable for what they post, if an issue comes up we have a clear record of what was said. If you need to change something we have a clear record of what was changed.

SRTie4k 03-05-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 17425378)
simple answer: we expect people to be accountable for what they post, if an issue comes up we have a clear record of what was said. If you need to change something we have a clear record of what was changed.

That's kind of what I figured the answer would be, but there are ways around that that don't require you to disable editing altogether. vBulletin has the option of turning on "Post Edit History" which tracks all changed made to a post. It makes more sense to use this option for accountability purposes and allow members to edit their own content, instead of restricting a useful tool for accountability purposes when accountability can be tracked elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

4Jeepn 03-05-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTie4k (Post 17425458)
That's kind of what I figured the answer would be, but there are ways around that that don't require you to disable editing altogether. vBulletin has the option of turning on "Post Edit History" which tracks all changed made to a post. It makes more sense to use this option for accountability purposes and allow members to edit their own content, instead of restricting a useful tool for accountability when accountability can be tracked elsewhere.

One could stay that you have all the time in the world to edit your your post ...before its posted right? Perhaps use that time to make sure its rock solid.. as for forsale posts... being that those deal in goods and the exchange of $$$ it is a safe bet those will never have open edit rights.

We do make use of the post edit history, but that is a staff only item that I now of.. and does not help our regular members and frankly might just muddy the waters even more.. thus we give ya all the time you need prior to posting to make changes, then another 15 mins..and if its still wrong.. just report the post...

SRTie4k 03-05-2015 07:51 AM

Having a rock solid initial post doesn't negate the necessity to edit posts hours or days after the fact in many instances.

I don't want to argue, suffice to say I think editing after a 15 minute window has been proven not to be a concern in many MANY other forums out there. Why this one is unique in restricting user rights more so is beyond me.

It's also a little ironic seeing as this community seems to be a lot more friendly and helpful than most of the other forums I post/sell on, yet it's members are more restricted than those other forums.

Anyways, I've said my piece, thanks for listening.

4Jeepn 03-05-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTie4k (Post 17426050)
Having a rock solid initial post doesn't negate the necessity to edit posts hours or days after the fact in many instances.

I don't want to argue, suffice to say I think editing after a 15 minute window has been proven not to be a concern in many MANY other forums out there. Why this one is unique in restricting user rights more so is beyond me.

It's also a little ironic seeing as this community seems to be a lot more friendly and helpful than most of the other forums I post/sell on, yet it's members are more restricted than those other forums.

Anyways, I've said my piece, thanks for listening.

You are correct, we are not other forums and we are proud of that.