Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   My 2012 Rubicon Experience (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-2012-rubicon-experience-157585.html)

Notorious 05-02-2012 04:53 PM

My 2012 Rubicon Experience

In the past I have owned 2 Nissan Pathfinders and a Land Rover LR3. I decided to go with a 2012 Rubicon this go around against my better judgement. The Nissans I had were pushed to their limit and never had any major mechanical failures. The LR3 you had to understand it's limits (especially when the warranty is up.) The Land Rover warranty is rock solid though. No questions asked on anything ever.

That was my major qualm on buying a Jeep. I was worried that the warranty wouldn't cover anything I'd do off road. I was assured by my salesman that Chrysler understood what people were doing in a Rubicon and that was why it was so built up from stock. He explained to me it would be no different than my warranty from Land Rover.

Frist trip out in the new Rubicon and was amazed at what it could do. Came up to some mud that the front end literally sank into about 3 feet. Turned the lockers on and gave it some gas and turned the wheel left to right. No go so got the straps out and had myself pulled out. A few hours later ended up bottoming the rock sliders out with the front wheels off the ground. Rear lockers on. Tried to get out and again no go on this one. Strap out and recovered and on my way. Noticed power steering seemed to be failing. Had the same problems in the Land Rover from leaving the wheel all the way turned while stuck. Always a warrantably thing from Land Rover while it was under warranty. After a 3 hour drive home and the power steering is now out for good take it to the Jeep dealer.

Get a call today from their service guys. More damage than the just the power steering pump failure. Differential damage and axle damage. The service guy says "I hope you weren't off roading this." I say "of course I was" and he says I wish you wouldn't have told me that. "WHY?" Well because that is not covered under normal driving conditions. "Your S***ing me" I reply. Which is strange since I took an extended warranty after being assured 4 wheel driving was covered and not an issue.

I then get told that they will have to let the Chrysler rep know that and it will be marked on vehicle warranty that i was driving the vehicle outside of normal driving conditions and future warranty work may be denied. Called 3 dealerships same dice.

Was then notified the Chrysler Rep denied all warranty work and my VIN would be tagged with the non normal driving conditions. What the pathfinders and LR3 went through was 10x worse on a good day including cross country trips to Moab. This was like let's break this thing in stuff, a few small hills and some mud. No idea what I could actually do off roading and not break the rules of the warranty or the car itself. I now have a $40,000 uncomfortable off road vehicle that can't go off road.

Morally of the story...

Those Dana 44 axles are for a stiffer highway ride.
Those diff lockers are for drag racing.
The rock sliders are terribly designed step rails.
The mud tires are for increased wind resistance on the highway.

Seriously so mad right now. No idea what to do. Feel like I got completely lied to and ripped off. Wouldn't ever trust taking this thing off road again. I could understand some off this stuff if the salesman didn't tell me it would be just like my Land Rover warranty. That was the only reason I made the purchase. I don't feel like I should have to be skeptical of everything and every company and read al the fine print. If he hadn't of said that I would have just gotten a new LR. Looked at 2 dealerships as well both said the exact same thing. It's branded Rubicon for a reason and Chrysler knows what people are doing in these. Your warranty will be cover whatever you do.

GREEN-MACHINE 05-02-2012 04:57 PM

:popcorn:

-JC- 05-02-2012 04:58 PM

Trust everyone.

And get it in writing.

If your salesmans lips were moving, he was lying.

The above has nothing to do specifically with Jeep.

Sorry for your frustrations.

snikt 05-02-2012 04:58 PM

1. Never believe what a salesman tells you
2. If you abused it and broke parts, I find it hard to believe that any warranty would cover that. If you buy a new computer for example with a warranty and knock it off the desk, that's not covered.

If you buy a Corvette and break parts on a race track, that's not covered, even though I'm sure GM knows what people do with Corvettes

pkmcd99 05-02-2012 05:00 PM

I punish my 2010 and ive yet to dismantle its drivetrain ......congrats. on the flip side, that sucks. I loved my v8 pathfinder. Never owned a rover. Love my heep. Good luck partner.

LMT Rubi 05-02-2012 05:07 PM

sucks to hear your story OP but I get the feeling it is not just Chrysler that would do such a thing. I am sure other companies will give you the big F you once you break something while not under "normal driving conditions". It is the price we have to pay in order to play....

Jlmo 05-02-2012 05:17 PM

While I think the op might be responsible for paying to repair the damage, it is not right that his warranty be forever flagged.

-JC- 05-02-2012 05:22 PM

So lets see, you pull in with 35s, a 6" lift, flat fenders and undercarriage tank armor and look at the seviceman and say, "No Sir, just 5 miles each way back and forth to work, mostly freeway" :rofl:

Magnum 05-02-2012 05:23 PM

I took my Jeep wheeling the day after I bought it, did some damage to my transmission oil pan with a piece of wood. I took it to the dealer who found a chunk of the offending wood under the seal of my tranny pan. The vehicle had less than 100 miles on it and it cost me almost $200 to fix and was not covered by warranty due to me exceeding "normal driving conditions". My vehicle was not flagged in any way by the dealer or Chrysler I just paid the bill and left.

I am not a lawyer but it does not seem right that one trip off the pavement would void your warranty for any future repairs.

BTW even though this experience did not make me happy initially, I LOVE my Jeep and prefer it to the Nissan 4x4 that I traded in for it. Hope you start enjoying yours.

MarkinOhio 05-02-2012 05:24 PM

Sorry to hear you have issues. :whistling:

Trade it in and get another Pathfinder or another Land Rover. You won't be in their computer systems. Then take said Pathfinder/Land Rover back to where you destroyed your Jeep, and see how they do there. Bet you will have same issues or worse. See if those dealers honor THEIR warranties. :whistling:

Sank into mud 3 feet deep and smashed the undercarriage on rocks you shouldn't have been playing in with any stock Jeep, then wonder why it's broke? :banghead:

Did you even look at the owners manual before abusing it like that? I'm actually amazed you didn't hydrolock the engine, too. :nonono:

snikt 05-02-2012 05:30 PM

Warranty and assistance | Land Rover UK

The vehicle warranty does not cover items that are subject to adjustment or replacement during normal service or maintenance operations. In addition, Land Rover is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result of:

- Damage resulting from neglect, accident, or improper use

- Unauthorised modifications of the vehicle or parts (modifications outside of Land Rover specifications).

RaiderRUBICON 05-02-2012 05:30 PM

I don't believe a word of that original post.

He bought a Jeep against his better judgement???that is Bullsh t!!!!

Sounds like a troll to me.

AJ WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTH 05-02-2012 05:57 PM

Land Rover wouldn't have covered you either. You're dreaming.

Your warranty manual--not the salesperson--determines the terms of your warranty.

We get these tales here every now and then about some mooseknuckle who goes out, buys a jeep, drives it offroad through all sorts of nonsense without any effort to learn about the vehicle etc., pushing buttons left and right, flooring the pedal, whatever, because "it's a jeep."

They inevitably break something and are then shocked to learn that, by golly, Chrysler won't cover you if you sink your jeep into 3 feet of swamp water and tear the beejesus out of the bottom with rocks and tree stumps. As if Chrysler factored the price of constantly repairing your jeep into the overall price tag.

Of course, they never bothered to actually READ what Chrysler would cover. Or even consider whether their interpretation of the "way things should be" even makes any sense.

You really believe that Land Rover would cover this?? That's pure fantasy land. You're telling me that I can go buy a LR, leave the dealership, and launch myself off of a random highway embankment to "test the suspension" and LR will fix my busted axles? What if I do it again the next day? And the next?

Of course they won't. That's not how business works. Your warranty is not an insurance policy against you being a moron. If it was, everybody would run offroad the day before your warranty expires and break as much as they possibly could. It's a promise that the vehicle meets certain manufacturing and quality standards. And indeed, the jeep must meet those standards or Chrysler's on the hook to replace the faulty parts with parts that do meet the standards.

For Christ's sake, can you imagine what vehicles would cost if the world worked the way you imagine? If you had zero accountability for anything that happened to your Wrangler offroad for three years after purchase? That's retarded. Seriously, seriously, retarded.

A Wrangler is a tool designed to be offroaded--responsibly. Like all tools, it can be broken. I've got a fancy-pants racing bicycle for triathlons and the like. Very expensive. Designed for performance. Do you think I'm capable of breaking it if I use it like a fool? And if I break it in doing so, do you think the manufacturer will replace it for me?? I hope to God you know the answer by now.

kjeeper10 05-02-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green-machine
:popcorn:

x2 :(

Ballandchain 05-02-2012 06:14 PM

Yeah, I was pretty pissed when I took my MacBook to the river and dropped it in the water and Apple didn't cover it.....

blackforestgreen 05-02-2012 06:21 PM

i will take your damaged rubicon off your hands as is for 4000.00. how many jeepers on here take a brand new stock rubi into 3 feet of mud get stuck and try it again?

Destal 05-02-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballandchain (Post 2328270)
Yeah, I was pretty pissed when I took my MacBook to the river and dropped it in the water and Apple didn't cover it.....

You should have bought the accidental damage warrenty. :) Those cover water damage.

Barrie 05-02-2012 06:30 PM

No good can come of this thread.