Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   jks 1.25" bl questions... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/jks-1-25-bl-questions-15788.html)

Jonny15 02-17-2008 07:57 PM

jks 1.25" bl questions...

Ive recently been thinking about installing this kit. I want to install a 3" suspension lift later on down the road and thanks to some good advice i figure instead of wasting money on a bb i can just add a 1" body lift to tie me over until then and then use it to go along with the 3" suspension lift. I've got some 31's sitting in my basement now that are ready to be mounted this spring and i'd like to at least get a 1" lift on there to go along with them.

For those who have installed this kit how hard is it to install? I always thought bl's were a PITA but maybe im misinformed. Is there any reason i shouldn't do a body lift? I've also been researching body lift installation for tj's and a few people have said its much easier to relocate the fan shroud rather then install a mml at this point in time. Any thoughts?

Scoob 02-17-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny15 (Post 195097)
Ive recently been thinking about installing this kit. I want to install a 3" suspension lift later on down the road and thanks to some good advice i figure instead of wasting money on a bb i can just add a 1" body lift to tie me over until then and then use it to go along with the 3" suspension lift. I've got some 31's sitting in my basement now that are ready to be mounted this spring and i'd like to at least get a 1" lift on there to go along with them.

For those who have installed this kit how hard is it to install? I always thought bl's were a PITA but maybe im misinformed. Is there any reason i shouldn't do a body lift? I've also been researching body lift installation for tj's and a few people have said its much easier to relocate the fan shroud rather then install a mml at this point in time. Any thoughts?

Even ebiruns (Debruins) could install a body lift. So I have faith that you could do it Jonny :) Its really not that hard. The 2 pucks above the rear axle are a bit of a pain. But not that bad. This is the write up I followed and didn't have to many problems
http://www.mudinyerioffroad.com/jks_bl.htm
The biggest pain in the JKS lift is the 2 snubbers under the grill. Some people have taken hours to put them in. The big secret to them is to just remove the headlight completely (4 bolts and about 2 minutes work) and pull the snubber up into place instead of trying to push it up from the bottom. It took me about 1.5 hours by myself to do mine and that was working at leisurely pace and having a beer or 2 as I go.

The MML can be a pain unless you know the tricks. Follow the instructions all the way up until it has you remove the bolt under the a/c compressor. Instead of doing that. Simply pull the 3 bolts holding the motor mount bracket to the engine and drop the hole mount out the bottom of the engine bay. Install new motor mount and re-assemble. Make sure you loosen the 4 transmission bolts on the transfer case at the beginning and tighten them back down after everything is done. This job goes better with 2 people. Depending on the how easy your bolts come out you can be done in under 2 hours .

tiny terror 02-17-2008 08:14 PM

I installed a BL very easily. The MML was a bit more of an issue, but still wasn't that bad. Both went in in a couple hours, the MML taking most of the time.

And those two pucks in the back are a breeze if you have small hands :D

distortedtj 02-17-2008 08:29 PM

took me 1.5 hours to do the 1.25 bl install along with the 1'' mml. with a floor jack and common tools. not hard to do and is easier to "me" to do both of them together than just the bl.

are you doing both the bl/mml or just the bl?

Jonny15 02-17-2008 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info so far guys, much appreciated! :wavey:

i'd like to avoid doing a mml if i can. I want to keep the cost down and ive heard its not entirely nessesary.

distortedtj 02-17-2008 08:52 PM

it's only 50 bones for the jks mml

do you have a drill and are you flexable? without the mml you will have to drill new holes into the radiator support to lower the fan shroud.

nicolas-eric 02-17-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 195117)
do you have a drill and are you flexable? without the mml you will have to drill new holes into the radiator support to lower the fan shroud.

yes itīs true that youīll gonna break your fingers when you lower the fan shrould.
my BL kit came with some fan shrould lowering brackets. i didnīt have to drill new holes. but i had to cut a piece out t the fan shrould for the A/C lines.

Triple88a 02-17-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 195123)
but i had to cut a piece out t the fan shrould for the A/C lines.

No you had to cut a piece of the brackets that hold the radiator to the body to clear the AC lines :flipoff:

orange05tj 02-17-2008 09:43 PM

I installed my BL in about 1 hour with half ass tools from WalMart and a rusted out floor jack that sits outside all year. The mml wasn't to bad except the passenger side because I couldn't get my hands down far enough, the bolts were rusted, and my eyes were swelling shut, and that was the day my glasses were at Lenscrafter. Oh yeah, if you do a mml, make sure you have a grinder available. You'll need it. Unless you want to dull out 7 hacksaw blades like I did.

Triple88a 02-17-2008 10:06 PM

what did u need to cut orange?

orange05tj 02-17-2008 10:08 PM

the studs on the stock motor mount. 1/4" off

Triple88a 02-17-2008 10:10 PM

so 1.25" MML would be perfect then?

orange05tj 02-17-2008 10:10 PM

tried a sawzall first and almost took my fingers off.

Triple88a 02-17-2008 10:19 PM

Jeez, careful man, you should have gone to home depot or ace or some hardware store and gotten few grinding wheels for those dremmel tools. 5 bucks and they work on regular hand drills..

orange05tj 02-17-2008 10:21 PM

yeah, but I don't own a Dremel

nycom96 02-17-2008 10:22 PM

buy one

orange05tj 02-17-2008 10:23 PM

you remember that day with the mml.

Triple88a 02-17-2008 10:24 PM

I bought a dremel tool 2-3 years ago and i'd say its worth it. I've used it many times. I'd buy it again if i need to.

tazmann910 02-17-2008 10:36 PM

I did my body lift in about 1 hour with a high lift jack.
Lifted my buddy's TJ in about 1 Hour with a high lift jack
Lifted my buddy's JK in about 1 hour with a high lift jack..

I think you get the idea. And here is a little trick for the front stops, run some fishing line thru the hole, hook up the new stops and then used the fishing line to pull the stops up tight. (hope this part makes sense, easy to do, hard to expain. Also if you spray Windex on the stops before trying to force it into the hole, it will slide in nice and easy and then it evaporates.

If you want more details, just send me a message and I can try to explain better.

orange05tj 02-17-2008 10:38 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the stops. I used wd40, worked fine, just a little messy.

Jonny15 02-17-2008 11:05 PM

Thanks guys! Im pretty sold on putting in that body lift now, i think it would be a much better investment than a coil spacer lift.

Couple questions though...

One, can i just move my fan shroud and scrap the mml for now?

Two, with just the 1.25" lift what are my chances of getting vibes?

distortedtj 02-17-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny15 (Post 195194)
Thanks guys! Im pretty sold on putting in that body lift now, i think it would be a much better investment than a coil spacer lift.

Couple questions though...

One, can i just move my fan shroud and scrap the mml for now?

Two, with just the 1.25" lift what are my chances of getting vibes?

yes you can just move the fan shroud down

your chances are 100%:D ok just kidding. a bodylift moves the body away from the frame. not the axle down so your chance of gettin vibes from a body lift is ....... 0%. body lift has nothing to do with the suspension of your vehicle. :wavey:

Triple88a 02-17-2008 11:33 PM

Doing both at the same time will save you time all together as if you do both at the same time you will not need to mess with the fan shroud at all which means no drilling holes. You might not even need to use a drop bracket for the tcase shift linkage.

Jonny15 02-17-2008 11:35 PM

oh i know it doesnt have anything to do with the suspension, iv'e just heard a few things about vibes under acceleration/going over bumps ect...

Triple88a 02-17-2008 11:36 PM

nope after BL ur suspension remains the same as it was before the bl.

Brian V 02-18-2008 08:34 AM

Thread Jack!--- So if I do a 1.25 BL and a MML I can remove the t-case drop that I have now with my 3" lift?

distortedtj 02-18-2008 10:51 AM

maybe every jeep is different. you may still need only 1 or 2 washers still

nicolas-eric 02-18-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian V (Post 195290)
Thread Jack!--- So if I do a 1.25 BL and a MML I can remove the t-case drop that I have now with my 3" lift?

i have 4.5" of lift and with the 1" MML i only need 4 washers to lower the TC.

MoA 02-18-2008 03:28 PM

yah.. i am running like 3.5'' and i have 2 washers in as a tc drop.. the mml is the way to go instead of a tc drop for sure..

at first i didnt want a bl because i thought they were ugly... but thats the first mod id do to any jeep now that i did mine.. i love the jks bl

orange05tj 02-18-2008 03:38 PM

Do the mml. You'll be happy with it in the end. You won't need the drop bracket for the linkage with the 1.25 BL. I was going to do the fan shroud at first until I realized the mml was easier.I have a little 2" BB right now with the BL and mml and no tcase drop. No vibes. Until next week.....:D