Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Land Use Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/)
-   -   Dallas/Ft. Worth Trails (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/dallas-ft-worth-trails-157976.html)

Brassman 05-04-2012 09:59 AM

Dallas/Ft. Worth Trails

I was wondering if anybody could tell me where some DFW trails are? Last night I drove by an old wheelin spot in Arlington off of 360...What's happened to the 360 trails? Lots of police and everything was gatted that wasn't at one time.

Thanks

dangerz 05-04-2012 01:34 PM

I just picked up a Jeep and am located in South Fort Worth, so I'd love any info on this too.

lindel 05-04-2012 03:15 PM

I don't think there are any "legal" wheeling spots in the DFW at all anymore. Or at least there weren't any when I left. 360 had been closed for a while when I left in '08. Gilmer is a couple of hours away, near Longview. I think there are some spots out west.

Chris M 05-04-2012 05:36 PM

I ran a quick search a while ago and saw one near Bridgeport. I haven't called or been out there though. The only off road I've done since buying my Jeep late last summer has been on hunting trips...and that hasn't been a much this year.

texasdave 05-05-2012 10:48 AM

Can you drive 4X4's in Munster???

TonJonTJ 05-07-2012 11:07 AM

I'm over on the other side of Dallas in Rockwall. Anyone know anything on this side of town? As "Country" as Texas is suppose to be, It's hard to have some fun!

texasdave 05-07-2012 01:02 PM

Yeah I'm in Mesquite and you just can't turn into some woods anymore. When I was younger, you could ride motorcycles almost anywhere. Not anymore.

Chris M 05-07-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdave (Post 2343626)
Yeah I'm in Mesquite and you just can't turn into some woods anymore. When I was younger, you could ride motorcycles almost anywhere. Not anymore.

Do you wheel anywhere? I'm here in Mesquite too.

Maybe you've seen me...I'm the guy rolling in the red JKU with the blacked out grill and stubby bumper conversion with black wheels. I haven't seen too many JK/JKUs that aren't soccer mom rides around here.

texasdave 05-07-2012 03:20 PM

No. Just got mine a couple of months ago. Silver soft top no mods yet. I think I may have seen you rolling around.

Chris M 05-07-2012 03:49 PM

Be sure to wave. I only get an occasional one and it's always from older Jeeps.

And FWIW, I'm not modded up too much yet...still working on getting the wife a new living room first. Happy wife, happy life.

TonJonTJ 05-07-2012 03:56 PM

I'm always through Mesquite... We have a yellow TJ 4" lift. Nothing much more then that. Normally the wife is driving it though:nonono:.

bds5 05-07-2012 04:20 PM

Some near Gilmer Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area: Info and Directions

TonJonTJ 05-07-2012 04:26 PM

Couple hrs out thats not bad... It would be nice if there was something with in 15min drive... or near the greenville area.

bds5 05-07-2012 04:52 PM

Dont know of anything else, you might check out lsjc.org some Texas jeepers

Colorblindspy 05-21-2012 09:55 PM

Check out Bridgeport off of 380. It's a good days worth of wheeling. I will be heading out there this Saturday if anyone is interested.

Colorblindspy

gonzoman 05-25-2012 06:57 PM

Gilmer Texas (BMRA), Bridgeport, and Tolar Texas (Rocktrails of Tolar) Are the only reasonably close wheeling spots to the Metroplex that are legal. There is a small place in Rockwall, but that is mainly mud and for the 2 wheel crowd. They all offer varying degrees of difficulty. Tolar, is just getting started and still in development. We expect big things from them.

DJKnucklehead 06-10-2012 08:07 PM

There are some good development spots down in Burleson, I've hit them a few time and have some really good times

dangerz 06-18-2012 12:31 PM

Any links to the Burleson spots? That's not far from me at all.

joshl34 06-21-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonJonTJ
I'm over on the other side of Dallas in Rockwall. Anyone know anything on this side of town? As "Country" as Texas is suppose to be, It's hard to have some fun!

I am in greenville tx u drive through rockwall every day on the way home from work. The only place i know of is brushy creek. Its in caddo mills. The middle of summer is a fun time. Mo crawling just alot of mud. Alot of big rigs go down there u can tell by the ruts. The only bad thing is if u get stuck there isnt much to hook a winch to to pull youself out

TomStev 06-26-2012 11:26 PM

Weatherford Lake

There are two places at Weatherford lake that I see people all the time and have taken my explorer out with a few cop buddy's. One gets really buddy but lots of places to winch up. The other gets muddy but is awesome when dry because it has two steep heels that go up about 100 feet. One is used more because it is steep but has good crawl ability to get up. Took my new stock 2012 Sahara up it last weekend. Need better than the stock tires but I was able to finally make it. Luckily no trail pinstripes occurred since it was only a few days hold. No at that same spot there is an even steeper hill 50-75 feet to the left of it and that thing is STEEP. I've only seen a fees people make it up w/no problems. Never seen anyone make it up wet. If anyone is interested then I'll get some gps coordinates this weekend. You can email direct if you prefer or hit the trails in a group this weekend. I would love some in person ideas on some things to do to my new baby and good reliable place to have work done.

TomStev 06-27-2012 12:15 AM

Aledo

I'm told there are some good ones in Aledo too but have not been to them.

TomStev 06-27-2012 03:31 PM

Resources

Check Texas Mud ATV Trails and Reviews is a good resource for legal places.

JohnDoe 08-24-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomStev
Check Texas Mud ATV Trails and Reviews is a good resource for legal places.

Huge help, there are one or two about 20min north of Richardson not on there that arnt bad

BlueTJ1997 11-19-2012 09:04 AM

Where in Aledo?

Weatherford lake is building houses up in there now.

ryanmalzac1 11-19-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonJonTJ (Post 2343273)

theres a place called brushy creek motor farm in rockwall or just outside rockwall. havent been yet but it looks decent and hear the owners are real cool.

derf 11-19-2012 04:53 PM

There's a couple of clubs, both paid membership and not that operate in DFW. When I lived in FTW I wheeled with these guys: DFW Chapter of TX4WD

I met a lot of guys in Lone Star Jeep Club and they all seemed like good people to wheel with as well: Lone Star Jeep Club

I'm sure there are other groups as well. All of them will know where most of the good trails are around DFW.

TomStev 11-19-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTJ1997
Where in Aledo?

Weatherford lake is building houses up in there now.

Hey DJ. There's a place I go to behind weatherford lake sometimes. Nothing spectacular, but it's good for about an hour of fun. There may be more to it. Found a trail connected to it last time, but it was getting dark and didn't want to scout it on foot in the dark. Hit me up sometime and we can check it out together.

Tweak 01-14-2013 12:54 PM

there is a new spot in tolar now, maybe an hour from FTW. its at least 3 times the size of bridgeport and is still an operational quarry. LOTS of trails. more than a days worth of wheeling. lots of good mud when it rains. i can see everything at bridgeport in 3-4 hours, we didnt even come close to completing tolar in one day. we even got locked in when we lost track of time.

TomStev 01-14-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak
there is a new spot in tolar now, maybe an hour from FTW. its at least 3 times the size of bridgeport and is still an operational quarry. LOTS of trails. more than a days worth of wheeling. lots of good mud when it rains. i can see everything at bridgeport in 3-4 hours, we didnt even come close to completing tolar in one day. we even got locked in when we lost track of time.

Which one were you? I was the black JKU y'all pulled up on.

TomStev 01-14-2013 06:12 PM

Btw y'all missed a heck of a good time on Saturday at Bridgeport! Water and bud as far as the eye could see. Mud was real watery so don't have to worry about having a hard time cleaning it :)