Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2.5" Teraflex Lift, 33" Tires, and Wide Stance (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2-5-teraflex-lift-33-tires-and-wide-stance-158270.html)

Con Artist 05-05-2012 07:09 PM

2.5" Teraflex Lift, 33" Tires, and Wide Stance

I haven't even gotten my JKUR yet and I've already received my Quadratec catalog. Yes, I'm wasting no time on already trying to upgrade my Jeep. :dance:

I'll regretfully be spending more time on than off pavement due to a lack of places to off-road in the nearby area, but I just can't be happy with the appearance of a stock Jeep Wrangler.

I'd like to get a minor lift and some larger tires, which also widen the stance a bit. I don't want to go with just a taller tire, as I find the "pizza cutter stance" to be absolutely repulsive.

In the very rare event that I may be blessed with the opportunity to rock crawl one of these days, I want to make sure that those taller, wider tires don't rub any suspension components or fenders if I wind up with the wheel tucked all the way up into the fender-well.

So, anybody's experiences with these types of things would be great, and I'd also like to see some photos! :)

MTH 05-05-2012 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You described my set up.

AMangum 05-05-2012 08:00 PM

I have the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift and 33's on some Blackrock 909's. Did the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and no rubbing at all at full droop and compression. You will be fine. Can post a pic or two in a few.

MTH's posts actually sold me on the tire/wheel combo. ;)

HK_Runner 05-05-2012 08:05 PM

Are the DuraTracs durable enough in the sidewalls? The tread seems decent enough.

MTH 05-05-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner
Are the DuraTracs durable enough in the sidewalls? The tread seems decent enough.

If I knew I was going to be doing a lot of wheeling, I'd probably pick something with a sturdier sidewall. As is though, I'm only an occasional wheeler, so highway performance is more important, and the DuraTracs rock for that while still being a good offroader.

kjeeper10 05-05-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

If I knew I was going to be doing a lot of wheeling, I'd probably pick something with a sturdier sidewall. As is though, I'm only an occasional wheeler, so highway performance is more important, and the DuraTracs rock for that while still being a good offroader.

Mike..... Sent you a pm :)

Con Artist 05-05-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2338543)
You described my set up.

It looks great! I like how the wheels look pushed towards the fenders a bit without extending past them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMangum (Post 2338544)
I have the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift and 33's on some Blackrock 909's. Did the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and no rubbing at all at full droop and compression. You will be fine. Can post a pic or two in a few.

I'm not familiar with the Moab Easter Jeep Safari or any off-roading event for that matter! I'm totally green to the world of 4x4s. Dare I say I don't even know what the "Moab" is or where it is! :redface:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2338683)

That's my situation. I'll be the occasional off-roader but want something that's going to cut it on both, the trail and the highway.

HK_Runner 05-05-2012 09:23 PM

Con Artist, do yourself a favor (if you're not kidding) and Google Moab, Utah. Then check it out on You Tube- tons of wheeling videos there.

AMangum 05-05-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMangum (Post 2338544)

The sidewalls were just fine in my opinion. I actually prefer these over the stock BFG's. After airing down they were nice and compliant and wrapped over the top of the rocks wonderfully in Moab and gave me lots of grip.

Also I went outside and snapped a couple of pics...
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/707/img6045p.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6186/img6154lp.jpg

Con Artist 05-05-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMangum (Post 2338778)
The sidewalls were just fine in my opinion. I actually prefer these over the stock BFG's. After airing down they were nice and compliant and wrapped over the top of the rocks wonderfully in Moab and gave me lots of grip.

Also I went outside and snapped a pic...
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/707/img6045p.jpg

That's exactly the type of stance I'm looking for! Looks great!

I really like the black grill, too. Is that something you did yourself or did you purchase a black one?

Con Artist 05-05-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 2338777)
Con Artist, do yourself a favor (if you're not kidding) and Google Moab, Utah. Then check it out on You Tube- tons of wheeling videos there.

Will do! I'm horrible with geography, I probably should've heard of Moab before. :redface:

AMangum 05-05-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2338800)
That's exactly the type of stance I'm looking for! Looks great!

I really like the black grill, too. Is that something you did yourself or did you purchase a black one?

I took the grill and grill guard off and popped out the turn signal housings and then laid about 6 coats of Plasti-Dip on it. It looks very smooth. If you Plasti-Dip yours I would recommend you let it dry for 24 hours before you remount it. Just tapping the bumper remounting it dinged the Plasti-Dip in a couple places and touching it up doesn't look as smooth. It stands up to power washing very well though.

Con Artist 05-05-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMangum (Post 2338862)
I took the grill and grill guard off and popped out the turn signal housing and then laid about 6 coats of Plasti-Dip on it. It looks very smooth. If you Plasti-Dip yours I would recommend you let it dry for 24 hours before you remount it. Just tapping the bumper remounting it dinged the Plasti-Dip in a couple places and touching it up doesn't look as smooth. It stands up to power washing very well though.

If I gather up the guts, I may try that! It looks really good. Do you have any close-ups of the grill so I can see the texture of it?

Getnwithit 05-05-2012 10:45 PM

I did the same to my grill. I really like it...

HK_Runner 05-05-2012 11:02 PM

The white Jeep looks fantastic!

Love blue too but could not locate any when I bought mine a few weeks ago.