Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Poll for head problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/poll-for-head-problem-158389.html)

Tomster 05-06-2012 12:16 PM

Poll for head problem

To help all of us to get a better feel for just how common the ticking problem is on the 2012 Wranglers, please vote in this poll according to your own personal experience.

I'm getting very nervous. I don't have a problem as far as I know, but I only have a couple thousand miles on my engine.

I will have a category for those who have the ticking but have had no CEL indications and who have not had the problem confirmed. I will also have a category for those who definitely have a problem that has been confirmed at the dealership service department.

tcass 05-06-2012 12:38 PM

yup, problem with the head, getting replaced as i type....i hope. 15,500 miles +-.

cass

Tomster 05-06-2012 04:25 PM

BTT Let's get some more votes!

Ballandchain 05-06-2012 04:34 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but I have 5k miles and not one problem. One buddy has a little less miles and no problem, and another friend probably has double those miles and no problems either......

suicideking 05-06-2012 04:37 PM

5500 miles, no problems except for many scratches. :)

Tomster 05-06-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballandchain (Post 2340824)
Sorry to disappoint, but I have 5k miles and not one problem. One buddy has a little less miles and no problem, and another friend probably has double those miles and no problems either......

Disappoint? You sure ain't disappointing me. I was hoping that there would be WAY more people without a problem than there would be with a problem. I'm good so far, too, but I only have a couple thousand miles on my Jeep.

Please add your vote to the appropriate category, if you don't mind.

Tomster

JayDee 05-06-2012 11:04 PM

6100 miles and all sounds good, build date 9-11.Keeping my fingers crossed.

JD

Tomster 05-07-2012 12:38 PM

BTT We need much more participation if this poll is going to be at all useful in determining how common the head problem is. I know it will not be all that accurate no matter how many votes we get but the greater the participation the clearer the picture we will get.

Tomster 05-08-2012 06:20 AM

BTT Need more input from folks, more "votes."

Tomster 05-08-2012 01:31 PM

This is getting scary. I sure hope the sampling so far is not representative. I hope it is just a case of the people who don't have the problem lacking motivation to post.

Tomster

Spro12JK 05-08-2012 07:06 PM

No ticking that im aware of at this time. Only thing I hear so far are the injectors. I only have 1100 miles so only time will tell.

Lil Red JK 05-08-2012 10:38 PM

My build date was 2/29/12(leap day)...rec'd it on 4/6 just over 1,000 miles and nothing yet. Praying it stays that way! I was under the impression that the ticking noise was more of a problem from the first couple months of production for the '12 models and was hoping it was resolved....

shelfrich 05-08-2012 10:44 PM

I have a ticking noise but its on the right side (passenger) it seems like everyone else has ticking noise on the left side (driver) I cant hear any ticking noise when standing on the driver side though, any ideas?

AMangum 05-08-2012 11:42 PM

6000 miles, no tick. (voted)

ed0985587 05-09-2012 04:39 AM

Mine ticks...Cosmos Blue JKU. Build date was around 07-2011.

willee51 05-09-2012 08:50 AM

9/11 BD. In the shop twice (towed) at about 1300-mi (they said I was blowing coil-packs) and it blew the 3rd during the Dealer test drive after repair #2 :whistling: Got about 8500-mi on her now.

The fix: a DAMN bandaid fix, using a split pc of heater hose and wire ties (go figure) :nonono:

Ticking like a damn g-father clock, but no error codes or check enging lite as yet :doh:

Don't care, as I have the life-time warranty and the next failure, I'm getting a Lawyer and sueing under the lemon-law :eek: U can count on it :thumb:

Fox News is just around the corner :rofl:

lyle.ross.jones 05-09-2012 08:54 AM

6k miles. No tick. Build date 7/11

hbgirl 05-09-2012 09:33 AM

After going back and forth for weeks on whether I have the tick or just normal noise, I believe I do have it (no CEL thrown yet); I'm at 3400'ish miles. I went by a dealership (not the one I purchased from since it's 30 mins away) this morning to see if they could take a look at it, but service mgr said there were 27 vehicles in front of me (not from this issue, just cars in for service in general), and they wouldn't get a chance to even take a look at my Jeep until Friday or Monday. He did, however, acknowledge he heard a tick as well; I asked if he was aware of the Pentastar head/tick issue on 2012's, and he was not. He suggested I bring it back first thing Saturday morning, when they have first-come-first-serve (vehicles brought in Mon-Fri are not serviced on weekends, apparently). I asked if a problem was indeed found would I get a loaner, and he said not unless I have an extended service package ...

Build date is Jan 2012.

I now have a ginormous knot in the pit of my stomach ...

So when I go back on Sat., what exactly do I need to ask them to do?

Tomster 05-09-2012 10:03 AM

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread and in the poll. The more "votes" we get, the clearer the picture will become as to how prevalent this ticking problem is.

One major question I still have is whether or not the ticking is always an indicator of future mechanical problems or if it is just a harmless characteristic associated with some of the 3.6 L Pentastar engines.

We have almost one in six people in the poll who have confirmed head problems and we have many more who have the tick but have not yet had a confirmed problem. Will those people eventually have problems too?

Almost all of those who report no problem have less than 5K miles on their Jeeps. Will many of these people eventually have problems?

We need to keep this poll going and see what it shows us.

So far, no problem with my Jeep, but I only have 2384 miles on it. Many people who have the problem say that it did not appear until they put a few thousand miles on their Jeeps. I wonder at what point I will be able to breathe easier?

Tomster

OatmountainAl 05-09-2012 04:07 PM

Tomster, just wondering if this poll could be expanded to include Model: Sport, Rubicon, Sahara, etc., also Build Date. The poll is helpful as it is, but this additional info could narrow the problem down even more. :wavey:

Vroooom 05-09-2012 04:11 PM

WOW!

I WAY misinterpreted the thread title

JKWrangler2012 05-09-2012 04:31 PM

i think what this pool needs is a clear definition of "tick"
[perhaps some youtube links of i-phone4 vids illustrating;]

A] normal engine noise [including the the normal ticking sound]

B] normal engine noise [including the the normal ticking sound] with tripped dash lights or engine codes

C] abnormal -noticeably louder- ticking

D] abnormal - noticeably louder- ticking with tripped dash lights or engine codes

E] Post engine repairs quiet and nice

F] Post engine repairs loud and no good

Strokerswild 05-09-2012 04:42 PM

Can someone of a mod persuasion add an option for those who wish to see the results without voting and skewing the numbers???

:thumb:

HAFICON 05-09-2012 04:59 PM

Voted Tom, I just rolled 4500 miles on mine today, No problems. The Jeep ride I was just on, had 20 Wranglers 18 of the 20 Jk's and 6ish were 2012 with the 3.6L and there were no ticking problems in any of them. But the dealer did change my oil at 4,000 miles little early but I was in to have my door miss-alignment looked at.

suicideking 05-09-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OatmountainAl (Post 2351762)
Tomster, just wondering if this poll could be expanded to include Model: Sport, Rubicon, Sahara, etc., also Build Date. The poll is helpful as it is, but this additional info could narrow the problem down even more. :wavey:

Model wouldn't really be helpful, they all have the same engine. Build date would be good though, might eliminate if the problem has been fixed on later builds.

snikt 05-09-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strokerswild (Post 2351859)
Can someone of a mod persuasion add an option for those who wish to see the results without voting and skewing the numbers???

:thumb:

Just click view results, you don't have to vote to see the results

Tiefy 05-09-2012 06:24 PM

So I have 10,200 miles on my 2012 and got my oil changed at 1200 Miles, 3000 Miles, and switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic at 6000 Miles. Just about to do another change, at 11,000. I have no tick. but now I worry if 3 oil changes before the light even came on might have masked the problem???? All I ever hear is the injectors but my wife did ask if it was noisier than it should be. It's not, but she doesn't notice things like that usually, and I can't help but wonder how many ticking pentastar engines are simply people worrying and now noticing the normal "tick". I will check my build date and post, but took delivery October 15 2011.

Tomster 05-09-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OatmountainAl (Post 2351762)

Thanks for your interest, Al. I tried to keep things as simple as possible. There is a maximum of 10 poll options so we couldn't possibly cover all possibilities.

I basically just wanted to get a feel for how many 2012s seem to make more noise than they should vs. how many seem to be normal. There is no good way that I know of that we could quantify how much noise is normal. This is a big part of the reason that I included a category for people who have confirmed problems with one or both heads.

For those who don't believe they have the tick, I wanted to see how many miles they have on their Jeeps. Maybe the problem just hasn't started yet for some folks.

If we can keep this going long enough and get enough people to vote, maybe we can begin to see just how common the head problems, not just the "ticking," really are.

I appreciate your participation.

Tomster

Tomster 05-10-2012 09:40 AM

Thanks to all who have voted. I hope we can keep getting more participation. If you have a 2012 JK and have not voted yet, please do so.

I won't be able to vote for a while yet since I don't have the tick but I also don't have more than 5K miles on my Jeep yet.

Tomster

kurtz265 05-10-2012 10:21 AM

I have a light ticking, brand new jeep with 1000 miles on it, build date 11/11. The problem im having is determing if the tick is "normal" or if I should even be concerned. The way i figure it, if a light comes on, i'll bring it in.