Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Storage of Bestop Trektop NX windows in TJ--what do you do? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/storage-of-bestop-trektop-nx-windows-in-tj-what-do-you-do-158618.html)

SandDevil93 05-07-2012 01:04 PM

Storage of Bestop Trektop NX windows in TJ--what do you do?

I love my Trektop NX for my TJ.
I love being able to zip off the windows in 10 minutes all by myself.
I love the "safari" feel of my NX.
OK, but what if I want to take the windows off mid trip and not leave them in between towels in my garage?

Has anyone figured out a creative and protective way to store windows in the TJ? Has to be said, they have hard plastic areas that make it impossible to neatly "roll up". Oh, and I do have the backseat down and full with 2 kids.
Any feedback would be helpful.

danatkins 05-07-2012 09:11 PM

b interested in this myself what about a window bag quadratech has about 3 different one's

GreenBeastie 05-08-2012 10:21 PM

bump - this is an issue for me as well. I love the top, but I haven't figured out how to store the windows other than leaving them on a table in the garage.

I'm not sure if a window-bag will work since the "frame" is in the window.

Kota7x 05-09-2012 01:07 AM

You could probably take the Plastic Piece out of the Window (Mark which side it goes on) and roll the windows up and store them in the Jeep. Just a thought...

TJgunner 05-09-2012 04:38 AM

i carry a few 'beach' towels in the back of the jeep. . .place a towel between the windows, then roll them up and bungee. haven't had any problems doin it that way. . ... not yet at least :)

danatkins 05-10-2012 06:31 AM

Thanks for the idea gunner hadn't thought about that. So why wouldn't the lil storage bags work?

lee indy 05-10-2012 06:43 AM

there little. the windows in the trektop are huge

danatkins 05-10-2012 07:23 AM

Ok where do u store them rolled up?

lee indy 05-10-2012 07:38 AM

in the garage. ;)

im working on something but i need to get the wifes sewing machine into the garage. the back window rolled up around the tailgate bar fits behind the seat pretty easily. so ill probably sew up a tube lined with a fleece or something for just it but the two windows im leaning towards storing flat either between the rear roll bars under the safarit top. (this will be an endeavor to sew up and fit) or flat under the rear mat.

TXST8tj 05-10-2012 08:56 AM

I think removing the plastic corner pieces and then rolling the windows up in a custom bag is the best idea.

That is the only way to get the windows flat enough to take up as little space as possible.

It wasn't the topic, but for garage storage, I picked up some of those $.99 spring clamps from Home Depot (the neon green ones) and attached those to the wall, and hang the windows from them.

lee indy 05-10-2012 10:01 AM

how much pain is that plastic piece to pull in and out?

lee indy 05-10-2012 05:20 PM

i came up with something in my jk. might help some of you might not

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...5-10173649.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...5-10173707.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...5-10173732.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...5-10173744.jpg

nissanman1 05-11-2012 10:21 AM

we've got the same top coming so i have that question too. the bag for windows only fit the regular top windows and do not fit the trektop windows. fyi

Kota7x 05-11-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 2354412)
how much pain is that plastic piece to pull in and out?

It should just slide out of the pocket. Its not like the stock windows where you need to unzip the little pocket.

InfernoGirl 05-11-2012 12:15 PM

I haven't tried, but you should be able to roll the side windows short ways, leaving the rear corner plastic in place. The rail clip is flexible enough to roll, it won't roll up tight, but it will roll with no ill effects.

lee indy 05-11-2012 12:20 PM

i tried rolling it before i wne to this option. maybe the rail clip in the tj is different but smallest i could get it rolled was too big to work. a trifold worked best for me.

Powertrip 05-12-2012 01:42 AM

Not trying to sound like an @$$, but this is one of the main reasons why I went with the Rampage Frameless top versus the Bestop. My Rampage top has special pockets specifically designed to stow the windows. :hide:

JAngeli 05-12-2012 10:04 AM

Not to hijack, but how do you find the quality and fit of the Rampage as it seems that the Bestop is of high quality by the sounds of it.

s14sh3r 05-12-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powertrip (Post 2360660)
Not trying to sound like an @$$, but this is one of the main reasons why I went with the Rampage Frameless top versus the Bestop. My Rampage top has special pockets specifically designed to stow the windows. :hide:

That's what's making me lean toward the Rampage top if and when I get a new top.

To the OP: What about something like this?

Topless-Tools Window Hide - YouTube

It doesn't look like one would be too hard to make or have made.

lee indy 05-12-2012 01:06 PM

rampage is thin material. and less support thats why its easy to roll up the windows.

mac Airt 05-12-2012 01:51 PM

I'm thinking the bag strapped to the roll bars would be the best bet. What about the back window just rolled up in a blanket and thrown in the trunk?

Would it be possible to tighten the bag enough that it doesn't slouch into the back seat's head room or front seat's visibility?

InfernoGirl 05-13-2012 09:33 AM

You can rig a SpiderWeb type shade to store the windows similar to how the Rampage top does... At least we did with the stock top, and it worked quite well, no reason it should not work with a trektop also.

hunt2687 05-13-2012 06:09 PM

I bought some black denim cloth and made a flat pouch by tracing the windows, lined it with felt and put velcro in the opening. Both windows fit in and you can fit them behind the seat, even with my tailgate storage bags. Also, sometimes I have put a diamond plated toolbox built for trailer tongues in place of the rear seat so i can lock stuff up when the top is down. They fit in the toolbox an also in front of it behind the front seats when i want

jordorunway 06-28-2012 11:52 PM

I know this thread hasnt been posted in for a while, but im considering getting the trektop nx in the next week or two and i like some of the ideas of storing the windows, but for some ideas seems to be forgetting about the rear window, especially the over head storage. Like the youtube video for example, i like the overhead idea alot, but i dont think you could fit the rear window in that. I could be over thinking this but im just trying to figure out all the options and if i have to, get the stuff to start rigging something up to store ALL the windows in for when i get my top. So would it be possible to get all the windows in over head storage without losing head room?

danatkins 08-16-2012 10:46 AM

Anyone having any luck storing the windows in the overhead above the bars? I just got to thinking I'm gonna be putn an ORfab bolt in cage in mine that should help keep them out of my way :-D

IslandTJ 08-16-2012 12:43 PM

Although I don't have the Trektop, I do have the framed Supertop and I store my rear window and side panels within a product called the Cloverpatch Window Roll. The bag itself rests on the rear trunk accessory cover and attaches between the Sport Cage bars on each side via a strap. Looks tidy :).

The only down side to the Cloverpatch system is the cost, it is expensive for what you get.

mxbsp 04-26-2013 05:23 PM

Hello. Seems to be a more popular topic as more purchase the trektop nx. I have just recently received mine and puchased the bestop window storage bage. The bag doesn't seem like it will work no matter how I try which is frustrating. Some of the other methods described here also seem like they would work for factory tops but not the trektop nx or would discontinue use of the back seat. Has anything else come up for ideas?

mxbsp 04-27-2013 06:17 PM

I can confirm that the plastic pieces will slide out of the side windows and the windows will fit into the bestop window bag without them. Pain in the a** but will work.

jowwo 04-28-2013 12:14 AM

I got the NX because it looked a little nicer than the rampage. Then putting it on I realized the back window doesn't just roll up like a normal soft top, and the windows have those huge plastic things in them, making them a pain too. I still don't know if I like this top or not.

dj_johnnyfive 05-13-2013 06:43 PM

I like lee indy's idea but has anyone else found a better way to store the rear windows in the back of a jku while driving?