Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sloppy sway at highway Speeds (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sloppy-sway-at-highway-speeds-158794.html)

dukedallas 05-08-2012 05:46 AM

Sloppy sway at highway Speeds

Hey guys, I have about 400 miles on my new 2012 Rubicon Jeep, with a 2" lift on it. I finally got to do some highway driving and noticed it really has loose steering to the point its sloppy all over the place. Should I invest in one of those dual steering stabilizer shocks? Would it make a big difference and tighten up the front end sway a bit? Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

jp2611 05-08-2012 06:11 AM

IMO based on my experience with my TJ.....and the lift it has....riding in other lifted Jeeps...and my '12 JK Sport.....the dual shock steering/ stabilizer would be a waste of money.

First thing I would do is make sure everything is "tight and right" correct geometry in steering components compared to when it was "stock" also make sure tires/ wheels are perfectly balanced. Keeping in mind that you raised the center of gravity 2" and if switched to a "mud" tire it will no longer handle as it did stock.

My '04 TJ with proper lift and steering geometry is fine clear up to 75-80 mph. And the '12 Sport is more stable at 75mph plus than the Buick or Caddy that I use to transport dad around. Granted the Buick and Caddy are not the same type of vehicle and are "older" but they are both in good repair. The JK in my experience is more stable and easily capable of running with or ahead of most vehicles on the highway.

daggo66 05-08-2012 06:12 AM

What type of lift do you have? What type of shocks? What size tires? What PSI are you running in your tires? The answers to these questions can help us to help you.

Daniel_M 05-08-2012 09:30 AM

Sterring stabilizers mask real issues and don't fix anything. Especially a dual steering stabilizer, that is the biggest scam. In reality a perfectly dialed in lift shouldn't need any stabilizer.

Answer Daggo's questions so we may help you.

-Dan

sparky 05-08-2012 11:43 AM

Was it realligned and the caster set correctly.

team38tim 05-08-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2346180)
What type of lift do you have? What type of shocks? What size tires? What PSI are you running in your tires? The answers to these questions can help us to help you.

X2 need more info as it could one of many things. I'd re-torque everything to factory spec first. I have had my 2.5" lift on for 2 weeks now and I plan on doing a re-torque of everything since I have driven more than 100 miles plus did a lift off roading. I have not had any sway or wobble at any speed so far.

kjeeper10 05-08-2012 12:04 PM

Alignment?

Steer center ?

Caster #'s ?

Toe ?

:eek: what sparky said

TommyT 05-08-2012 01:13 PM

Mine was handling similar. Over the weekend I changed aut the stock bolts with a kit from EAD (along with installing 18/59 springs and rubi shocks). When removing the stock bolts I noticed that none of them were even close to the 125 ft. lbs of specified torque. a couple were prettty close to being loose. After installing the new parts and bolts torqed to 125 it is a lot tighter, no wander and drives like a different jeep. My point is change out the bolts or at least torque your stock ones. The factory obviosly doesn't have their torque tools adjusted properly!

pkmcd99 05-19-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedallas
Hey guys, I have about 400 miles on my new 2012 Rubicon Jeep, with a 2" lift on it. I finally got to do some highway driving and noticed it really has loose steering to the point its sloppy all over the place. Should I invest in one of those dual steering stabilizer shocks? Would it make a big difference and tighten up the front end sway a bit? Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

Inspect your trac arm location. Although 2" lift shouldnt effect the axles center, if the lift wasnt installed correctly, you may ne getting a wandering sensation on the highway. Loosen and retorque all control arms and trac arm bolts. Also check for broken or disconnected swaybar links.