Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Oregon Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/)
-   -   Legal to drive w/o side mirrors in Oregon? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/legal-to-drive-w-o-side-mirrors-in-oregon-158839.html)

jeremytbjones 05-08-2012 10:28 AM

Legal to drive w/o side mirrors in Oregon?
 
Ive been looking around on the interwebs and havent been able to find a definitive answer to this question: Is it legal to drive around in the city limits without side mirrors in Oregon?

I have hard doors and want to take them off for most of the summer but I know its illegal in certain states to not have all three mirrors. Anyone know for sure one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

07UnlimitedX 05-08-2012 11:05 AM

I spoke with an Oregon State Trooper yesterday and he said that the law requires only one mirror. Doors don't matter if they are there or not. A rear view mirror makes your vehicle legal in the state of Oregon.

jeremytbjones 05-08-2012 11:13 AM

That solves it, thanks man!

07UnlimitedX 05-08-2012 12:07 PM

Sure.

n2jeepn 05-08-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07UnlimitedX (Post 2346960)
I spoke with an Oregon State Trooper yesterday and he said that the law requires only one mirror. Doors don't matter if they are there or not. A rear view mirror makes your vehicle legal in the state of Oregon.

Be nice if we could see that in writing........the law that is. If someone has a link to the Oregon law and can post it that would be great.

n2jeepn 05-08-2012 03:45 PM

====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com

What you can find with google.

Dextreme 05-08-2012 04:41 PM

This guide really doesn't address the mirrors unless you have dark window tinting, but its a good guide for the other common modified stuff like fenders, lighting, etc:

Transportation Safety Vehicle Equipment and Safety Standards

jeremytbjones 05-08-2012 05:25 PM

I havent been able to find one adressing mirrors specifically, which is why i posted here...

jeremytbjones 05-08-2012 05:31 PM

I just called the contact on the page Dextreme provided (See below), they said techincally you dont need any mirrors, the law states that you must be able to see 200ft behind you, it doesnt mention anything about mirrors specifically.

(Vehicle Equipment Standards Program, Transportation Safety Division, Oregon Department of Transportation, 235 Union Street NE, Salem, OR 98301-1054, or call (503) 986-4198)

n2jeepn 05-08-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremytbjones (Post 2348173)
I just called the contact on the page Dextreme provided (See below), they said techincally you dont need any mirrors, the law states that you must be able to see 200ft behind you, it doesnt mention anything about mirrors specifically.

(Vehicle Equipment Standards Program, Transportation Safety Division, Oregon Department of Transportation, 235 Union Street NE, Salem, OR 98301-1054, or call (503) 986-4198)

Originally Posted by oregon.gov
(Mirrors)
815.235 Operation without rearview
mirror; exemptions; penalty. (1) A person
commits the offense of operation without a
rearview mirror if the person does any of the
following:
(a) Drives or moves on any highway any
motor vehicle that is not equipped with a
rearview mirror or device that meets the requirements
under this section.
(b) Owns a motor vehicle and causes or
knowingly permits the vehicle to be driven
or moved on any highway when the vehicle
is not equipped with a rearview mirror or
device that meets the requirements under
this section.
(2) A rearview mirror or device only
meets the requirements of this section if it
enables the driver of the vehicle to have
such a clear and unobstructed view of the
rear at all times and under all conditions of
load as will enable the driver to see any
other vehicle approaching from not less than
200 feet in the rear on an unobstructed road.
(3) This section does not apply to the
following vehicles:
(a) Vehicles of special interest that are
registered under ORS 805.020 and that were
not equipped with rearview mirrors when
originally manufactured.
(b) Road machinery, road rollers or farm
tractors.
(c) Antique motor vehicles that are registered
under ORS 805.010 and that were not
equipped with rearview mirrors when originally
manufactured.
(4) The offense described in this section,
operation without a rearview mirror, is a
Class

Dextreme 05-09-2012 11:25 AM

FYI - For Washington, ya do need a driver side mirror.

RCW 46.37.400: Mirrors, backup devices.

Quote:

RCW 46.37.400

Mirrors, backup devices.


1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.

(2) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.

(3) Every truck registered or based in Washington that is equipped with a cube-style, walk-in cargo box up to eighteen feet long used in the commercial delivery of goods and services must be equipped with a rear crossview mirror or backup device to alert the driver that a person or object is behind the truck.

(4) All mirrors and backup devices required by this section shall be maintained in good condition. Rear crossview mirrors and backup devices will be of a type approved by the Washington state patrol.

n2jeepn 05-10-2012 11:16 AM

I read it as yes you do need a left side mirror in Washington with a second mirror midcenter windshield or right side mirror.

Originally Posted by leg.wa.gov
RCWs > Title 46 > Chapter 46.37 > Section 46.37.400

46.37.395 << 46.37.400 >> 46.37.410

RCW 46.37.400
Mirrors, backup devices.


(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.

(2) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle.




Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 2350768)
FYI - For Washington, ya do need a driver side mirror.

RCW 46.37.400: Mirrors, backup devices.


InTheSticks 06-27-2012 08:41 AM

I have no comment about the legality per se. But, the first time I tried backing up on a narrow trail with the doors off I realized how much I rely on my side mirrors to keep me out of trouble. Luckily, they're easy to add (I believe a purchased a Harley Davidson mirror for the driver side........)

Cold 06-27-2012 09:25 AM

I always thought you needed at least 2 mirrors at all times but thats just me thinking..

InTheSticks and I are in total agreement :D !!! It may not be required by law but it sure is a pain in the butt when you dont have those mirrors! There are relocation kits and replacement mirrors that are pretty reasonably priced. Its worth it just to be able to see in your blind spots and boy do I have blind spots! WIth a 37" tire on the back and all those head rests I can't see anything out the back window..

jrhjoe 07-04-2012 10:05 PM

Just so you know "You do need to have at least 2 mirror's in Oregon" a drivers and rear view count. Had a friend just last week that just purchased his firs tj and decided to remove the hard doors. He was pulled over leaving his work that afternoon where the police officer was kind enough to explain the law to him. Hope this helps.

Eweasel 07-06-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhjoe (Post 2546218)
Just so you know "You do need to have at least 2 mirror's in Oregon" a drivers and rear view count. Had a friend just last week that just purchased his firs tj and decided to remove the hard doors. He was pulled over leaving his work that afternoon where the police officer was kind enough to explain the law to him. Hope this helps.

... did the police officer happen to provide him with a citation to authority where it says you need 2 mirrors? Did a quick search of the Oregon Revised Statutes and I'm not seeing it...

jrhjoe 07-06-2012 01:18 AM

Not sure? I will ask in a couple of days when I get back to work. I know that the standard has always been two mirrors. One on each side or one in the middle and one on the side. I have always just kept one one the drivers side and have never been pulled over for it. I will definitely check into this and get back to you guys.

Eweasel 07-06-2012 01:24 AM

ORS 184.616 and ORS 820.030 give the Oregon Department of Transportation authority to promulgate rules regarding vehicle safety equipment. The DOT published the following OAR (Oregon Administrative Rule):

Oregon Secretary of State Archives Division

735-124-0110

Mirrors

All Class "A" and "B" vehicles shall also be equipped with two side view mirrors; one installed on each side in such a manner as to give the driver a clear view to the rear in all lanes of traffic.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 184.616 & ORS 820.030
Stats. Implemented: ORS 820.010 - ORS 820.030
Hist.: MV 49(Temp), f. & ef. 7-11-73 thru 11-8-73; MV 57, f. 7-19-74, ef. 8-11-74; Administrative Renumbering 3-1988, Renumbered from 735-081-0032


* * *

Note, the 2 side view mirror rule applies only to Class "A" and "B" vehicles. As I understand it, passenger vehicles are considered Class "C" vehicles.

In other areas of OAR 735-124, the DOT specifically applied the safety rule to all classes of vehicles.

For example, see OAR 735-124-0160, which provides that "All class vehicles shall be equipped with an adjustable sun visor."

This is important since it underscores that the DOT knows how to apply a rule to all types of vehicles when it wants to. Under these rules, the 2 side mirror rule applies only to very big vehicles -- semi-trucks, buses, firetrucks, etc..

If someone speaks with the PoPo and they tell you that side mirrors are required on a Jeep, I'd respectfully do what the officer says to get out of a citation, but ask to see where in the Oregon vehicle code or rules that a class C passenger vehicle is required to have side mirrors -- just so you are absolutely clear on what the rules are, so that you (and your fellow Oregon jeepers) can follow them.

Eweasel 07-06-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhjoe (Post 2550378)
Not sure? I will ask in a couple of days when I get back to work. I know that the standard has always been two mirrors. One on each side or one in the middle and one on the side. I have always just kept one one the drivers side and have never been pulled over for it. I will definitely check into this and get back to you guys.


That's certainly the standard in Washington State. The Revised Code of Washington is very clear about it.

jrhjoe 07-06-2012 01:33 AM

So this is what I have found so far. I will check with our local sheriffs dept. tomarow and see what they have to say. Washington is clearly better at describing their laws in the RCW than Oregon is lol!


4513.23 Rear view mirror.

(A) Every motor vehicle, motorcycle, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle, motorcycle, or trackless trolley. Operators of vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys shall have a clear and unobstructed view to the front and to both sides of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys and shall have a clear view to the rear of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys by mirror.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Eweasel 07-06-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhjoe
So this is what I have found so far. I will check with our local sheriffs dept. tomarow and see what they have to say. Washington is clearly better at describing their laws in the RCW than Oregon is lol!

4513.23 Rear view mirror.

(A) Every motor vehicle, motorcycle, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the operator a view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle, motorcycle, or trackless trolley. Operators of vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys shall have a clear and unobstructed view to the front and to both sides of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys and shall have a clear view to the rear of their vehicles, motorcycles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys by mirror.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

That's from the OHIO Revised Code. Not the Oregon Revised Statutes.

L

jrhjoe 07-06-2012 11:00 PM

Thanks for the correction :-) I was browsing through a bunch of them and must have not noticed. Got a call into my county sheriff and will get back to this when I get a response. Sorry for the bad info. Thought I had it ;-)

oregonmp03 07-16-2012 02:38 AM

For all you oregonians.......

815.235 Operation without rearview mirror; exemptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operation without a rearview mirror if the person does any of the following:
(a) Drives or moves on any highway any motor vehicle that is not equipped with a rearview mirror or device that meets the requirements under this section.
(b) Owns a motor vehicle and causes or knowingly permits the vehicle to be driven or moved on any highway when the vehicle is not equipped with a rearview mirror or device that meets the requirements under this section.
(2) A rearview mirror or device only meets the requirements of this section if it enables the driver of the vehicle to have such a clear and unobstructed view of the rear at all times and under all conditions of load as will enable the driver to see any other vehicle approaching from not less than 200 feet in the rear on an unobstructed road.



So that said, if you have your doors off you'll be fine with just the one in the window, UNLESS your loaded up and can't see out the back window with it, then it would be an obstructed view and a violation.

o/

scottmphoto 07-16-2012 11:46 AM

Damn....now I need to add mirrors to my Trackless Trolleys...

Dextreme 07-16-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonmp03 (Post 2588125)


So that said, if you have your doors off you'll be fine with just the one in the window, UNLESS your loaded up and can't see out the back window with it, then it would be an obstructed view and a violation.

o/

Now I am wondering if one has a "bigger than stock" spare tire, if it would be considered an "obstructed view". hmmmmm I supose the popo can always find an excuse to nail ya if they want to. (I had a little mud on my license plate once and got pulled over. LOL)

oregonmp03 07-16-2012 09:59 PM

truly there are a billion things to get pulled over for.......touching the line, obstructed view, cracked windows, obstructed license plate, no mud flaps, tires outside of wheel housing, etc etc etc.........

Usually though they're just checking to see who you are and not really worried about writing a ticket.........unless it's city motorcycle cops just looking to make revenue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.