Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   2012 Battery Design Flaw (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/2012-battery-design-flaw-158938.html)

OIIIIOersCreepers 05-08-2012 06:57 PM

2012 Battery Design Flaw

long story short. had my jeep for 4 weeks now. noticed paint gone and rust on frame on right front side, by the wheel. i new it wasnt good. i saw the battery was above the area in the engine bay.

took it today to dealership. they already had a chrysler engineer there on unrelated matter. they all looked at it.

they stated that chrysler in all its infinite wisdom, didn't design a battery drainage for the new motor and battery. hence the battery slowly leaks the acid into the battery tray and then out over the frame.

because i live in the desert, they said it will only get worse as the heat expands the battery. they have to send the pics and info all to chrysler for them to create a solution.

until then, i am to drive and hope my frame doesnt buckle....:banghead:

Renegade4x4 05-08-2012 07:18 PM

glad I switched to an optima deep cycle! More cranking amps and reserve.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...415_154054.jpg

LGrocks 05-08-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OIIIIOersCreepers
they stated that chrysler in all its infinite wisdom, didn't design a battery drainage for the new motor and battery. hence the battery slowly leaks the acid into the battery tray and then out over the frame.

That's ridiculous! If your battery is leaking at all it's needs to be replaced. Some "outgassing" can be normal but in no way should it drip fluid anywhere. Raise hell until Chrysler fixes the damage, then put a quality battery in it.
^^^Optima is a good choice

OIIIIOersCreepers 05-11-2012 11:49 AM

i just talked to the service manager. he stated that the chrysler engineer has submitted his report yesterday. when i called he knew who i was and already knew of the situation without me even saying anything other than my battery was leaking. this makes me believe they are looking into it. what is good is this dealership has a chrysler engineer stationed on sight.

they stated that there would only be "cosmetic" damage that they would need to fix after the re-engineering of the drainage was addressed. he said my frame will not be damaged, and no other components were in danger. i am no professional so i couldn't argue factually with him on that, and he said he would let me know first thing when chrysler responded with a solution.

i still dont feel good about it. i may just buy the optima battery myself until they fix this

UnlimitedLJ04 05-11-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OIIIIOersCreepers (Post 2348440)
long story short. had my jeep for 4 weeks now. noticed paint gone and rust on frame on right front side, by the wheel. i new it wasnt good. i saw the battery was above the area in the engine bay.

took it today to dealership. they already had a chrysler engineer there on unrelated matter. they all looked at it.

because i live in the desert, they said it will only get worse as the heat expands the battery. they have to send the pics and info all to chrysler for them to create a solution.

until then, i am to drive and hope my frame doesnt buckle....:banghead:

that's nothing new. it's the same way on the TJ, and many other vehicles. battery acid leaks down the side of the battery, down inside the fender...rusts the nutserts and bolts that holds the fender flare on, rusts the inner fender, and battery tray, then drips down the battery support and into the boxed frame.

When I replaced the stock battery I took most of the fender apart, wire wheel/brushed it, and used some heavy duty primer and paint. then installed a sealed battery (Diehard Platinum P4) so there are no more leaks.

jannikt 05-11-2012 12:55 PM

A battery should not leak. If the electrolyte level is right, there is enough free space at the top of the battery to allow for expansion and degassing. The worst I have seen is a little bit of "salt" buildup on top of the battery, but I have never had a leaking battery (unless it's fliped over to one side or cracked). If your battery is leaking it's either broken or overfilled. The battery tray is intended to collect occasional small spills, but it is not intended to deal with a battery that's leaking. Your problem is not a defective battery tray, but a defective battery.

OIIIIOersCreepers 05-12-2012 02:26 AM

i agree. they again called me today and said chrysler authorized them to come up with a "fix". i suggested a battery that didn't leak lol. they said that the heat out here causes the extra expansion. and again i said, how about a battery that doesn't leak! they are gonna take it in on monday and "fix" with a tray from other chrysler model vehicles with something that wont leak down the frame but down a tube (typical), onto the ground. I still love the idea of a BATTERY THAT WONT LEAK. but hey, that might be too hard.

wideopenDDS 07-29-2012 10:54 AM

2012 battery leak

Quote:

Originally Posted by OIIIIOersCreepers (Post 2360681)
i agree. they again called me today and said chrysler authorized them to come up with a "fix". i suggested a battery that didn't leak lol. they said that the heat out here causes the extra expansion. and again i said, how about a battery that doesn't leak! they are gonna take it in on monday and "fix" with a tray from other chrysler model vehicles with something that wont leak down the frame but down a tube (typical), onto the ground. I still love the idea of a BATTERY THAT WONT LEAK. but hey, that might be too hard.

Same issue. Was wheeling in 4wd low for 3 hours at 100 degree in PA. That night, my new shocks and some of my frame had what I thought were scratches, but now i know are acid marks. Chrysler should replace the battery, since mine is still wet around the neg battery post, suggesting its still leaking, and therefore damaged. Im afraid to let Chrysler fix it, as they will do the cheapest thing to shut me up and not restore my 3 month old special edition $48,000 jeep. Im still burned about the whinch ready bumper thats only winch ready after I spend $289 ( in that case all a winch ready, right?!), and how they short changed us Call of Duty MW3 guys making the AEV heat reduction hood a functionless "powerbulge" hood, and removing the water tanks from the AEV back bumper, and relocating the hole for the AEV spare tire carrier, just so they can get another $750 from us to make what should be a stock upgrade part fit. Rrrrrrrrr. Im actually afraid to go into the dealership for fear I might go bananas and start bitch slapping the first guy who says anything except "Heres your new battery, sir".

Anyway. So keep posting your battery complaints. If you havent looked, youd better. How many people actually look for this stuff in a new vehicle. Im sure that a good 10- 20, maybe %40 percent of us 2012 folks with stock batteries will have issues. Maybe jeep will simply take back my battery... keep it, and trade it for my winch ready kit. Yeah right, and Kieth Richards looks healthy.

Cheers!