Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Another gas mileage thread... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/another-gas-mileage-thread-159107.html)

OkcWrangler 05-09-2012 11:38 AM

Another gas mileage thread...
 
I have put a Terraflex 2.5" lift on my Jeep and still was averaging almost 18 mpg around town. Then I replaced the stock wheels and tires with 16" pro comp wheels and LT285/75R16 duratracs and am lucky to see 15 MPG on the highway. Is this normal? I believe discount tires put 35 psi in them and I try and drive somewhat conservative, anyone else had this happen? I knew I was going to lose some MPG but 4 MPG is rediculous...

pkmcd99 05-09-2012 11:41 AM

Your very lucky to get 15mpg with 33" tires. To get some of your mpg back you will need to regear to make it less taxing on your motor. This is above normal to get your mpg you speak of.

OkcWrangler 05-09-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99
Your very lucky to get 15mpg with 33" tires. To get some of your mpg back you will need to regear to make it less taxing on your motor. This is above normal to get your mpg you speak of.

Hmmm maybe I should be thankful then? Lol. I also forgot to mention that I used a procal to put in my tire dimensions. Its just hard to justify spending the money to regear just to gain a little mileage. My power hasn't suffered at all, still pretty peppy around town.

Traviswb1988 05-09-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkcWrangler
I have put a Terraflex 2.5" lift on my Jeep and still was averaging almost 18 mpg around town. Then I replaced the stock wheels and tires with 16" pro comp wheels and LT285/75R16 duratracs and am lucky to see 15 MPG on the highway. Is this normal? I believe discount tires put 35 psi in them and I try and drive somewhat conservative, anyone else had this happen? I knew I was going to lose some MPG but 4 MPG is rediculous...

I have the same problem with mine. I think I am getting a superchips programmer until I go 35's and re-gear.

willee51 05-09-2012 01:30 PM

Am at Sandbridge Beach, Virginia. 250-mi trip (1 way), averaging 60 - 65 mph and got 17.3 :doh:

A Prius, it ain't :surrender:

akray21 05-09-2012 01:59 PM

What about 33's without a lift? What kind of mpg should I see if I'm getting 18 mpg now? I don't see how 2" larger tires would give you 4 mpg worse.

pkmcd99 05-09-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akray21
What about 33's without a lift? What kind of mpg should I see if I'm getting 18 mpg now? I don't see how 2" larger tires would give you 4 mpg worse.

Every set up varies. Tread pattern, tire width, gear ratio, engine set up, driving style, driving conditions, jeep condition etc..

Traviswb1988 05-09-2012 02:17 PM

I have came to the conclusion that I would rather drive my Jeep and enjoy it than spend every mile dying inside that... I 'm getting 15mpg... Buy a prius if your that worried. Just sayin'

pkmcd99 05-09-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traviswb1988
I have came to the conclusion that I would rather drive my Jeep and enjoy it than spend every mile dying inside that... I 'm getting 15mpg... Buy a prius if your that worried. Just sayin'

Im hovering around 13-15 and love it. Wranglers are boxes on wheels. Two thumbs up for just jeepn. Thought I was the only human out there that drives a Jeep for Jeep reasons.

Traviswb1988 05-09-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99

Im hovering around 13-15 and love it. Wranglers are boxes on wheels. Two thumbs up for just jeepn. Thought I was the only human out there that drives a Jeep for Jeep reasons.

You better believe it!!!! Jeep or NOTHING!!!

pluke the 2 05-09-2012 03:13 PM

11-12mpgs here

kbwwolf 05-09-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willee51 (Post 2351274)
Am at Sandbridge Beach, Virginia. 250-mi trip (1 way), averaging 60 - 65 mph and got 17.3 :doh:
A Prius, it ain't :surrender:

My brothers and I found a dead body on the beach one year in Sandbridge when we were munchkins.

Probably explains a few things...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkcWrangler (Post 2350833)
I have put a Terraflex 2.5" lift on my Jeep and still was averaging almost 18 mpg around town. Then I replaced the stock wheels and tires with 16" pro comp wheels and LT285/75R16 duratracs and am lucky to see 15 MPG on the highway. Is this normal? I believe discount tires put 35 psi in them and I try and drive somewhat conservative, anyone else had this happen? I knew I was going to lose some MPG but 4 MPG is rediculous...

I get right around 15 mpg with 35's and a 3" lift in a '12. If you agonize over mileage, you'll end up eating a bullet. It's a Jeep. The mileage sucks. Get over it.

BobU05 05-09-2012 03:24 PM

I've got the 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, no lift, came from some 265/70r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers in and lost a few mpg. I get 14-15 mpg, non-aggressive driving. MPG dropped which did surprise me as the Nittos were extremely heavy. 3.73 gears.

akray21 05-09-2012 03:31 PM

Oh, I'm not worried, just want to know what to expect

The Tonk 05-09-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akray21 (Post 2351363)
What about 33's without a lift? What kind of mpg should I see if I'm getting 18 mpg now? I don't see how 2" larger tires would give you 4 mpg worse.

IIRC its not the actual size of the tire but the width that kills MPG. That's why the eco boxes have those skinny ass tires.

I have, from what I was told, a 6" lift with 35x12.5x15 and if I watch what I do (65-70mph, ease on the throttle up hills, coast down) I can hit 16-17mpg on a tank. If I don't its 13-15.

OkcWrangler 05-09-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf
I get right around 15 mpg with 35's and a 3" lift in a '12. If you agonize over mileage, you'll end up eating a bullet. It's a Jeep. The mileage sucks. Get over it.

I know its a Jeep and I know its like driving a box down the road and blah blah blah. I also did not buy my Jeep for gas mileage, I just didnt expect to lose 4 MPG just from switching to 33" tires is all. I still love driving it and it never ceases to put a huge grin on my face with the doors and top off. I was just caught off guard is all.

ESP 05-09-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkcWrangler (Post 2351986)
I know its a Jeep and I know its like driving a box down the road and blah blah blah. I also did not buy my Jeep for gas mileage, I just didnt expect to lose 4 MPG just from switching to 33" tires is all. I still love driving it and it never ceases to put a huge grin on my face with the doors and top off. I was just caught off guard is all.

Couldn't have gone with a 15x8 :whistling:

The Tonk 05-09-2012 05:50 PM

Lol. Going from a tuned WRX with an STI Hybrid motor helped a lot. Damn thing was a uhhhh...Gasaholic?

Blackened 05-09-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkcWrangler (Post 2351986)
I know its a Jeep and I know its like driving a box down the road and blah blah blah. I also did not buy my Jeep for gas mileage, I just didnt expect to lose 4 MPG just from switching to 33" tires is all. I still love driving it and it never ceases to put a huge grin on my face with the doors and top off. I was just caught off guard is all.



4 MPG seems a little high of a loss for 33's, especially since duratracs are a lighter tire compared to similar ones. The size you bought weigh 58 lbs a piece compared to 36 lbs for a stock tire so you added 110 lbs. Not the best but not the worse.

lee indy 05-09-2012 06:07 PM

285 coopers i get 19 in town and 21-23 on the highway if its flat.

Mikeb2323 05-09-2012 06:18 PM

Im averaging around 15 so far in a 08 Sahara with 18" wheels

ThingsAbove 05-09-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkcWrangler (Post 2350833)
I have put a Terraflex 2.5" lift on my Jeep and still was averaging almost 18 mpg around town. Then I replaced the stock wheels and tires with 16" pro comp wheels and LT285/75R16 duratracs and am lucky to see 15 MPG on the highway. Is this normal? I believe discount tires put 35 psi in them and I try and drive somewhat conservative, anyone else had this happen? I knew I was going to lose some MPG but 4 MPG is rediculous...

You didn't mention if you re-calibrated your speedometer. If not and you went from 32" to 33" then you're recording fewer miles than your actually traveling by about 3%.

You also mentioned that your around town mileage was 18 but then you're comparing it to highway mileage. The lift will have greater negative impact on your highway mileage due to the increase in wind resistance at higher speeds. How many highway trips had you taken with the lift where you calculated mileage? One trip doesn't offer much for statistics.

Last week I drove 2.5 hours in one direction averaging 19.5 mpg and the return trip on the same road averaged 23.4 mpg. There was little elevation gain/loss. That particular 4 mpg difference was mostly attributable to wind.

Give it some time for averages to work themselves out. You've probably only lost 1 or 2 mpg.

OkcWrangler 05-09-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackened

4 MPG seems a little high of a loss for 33's, especially since duratracs are a lighter tire compared to similar ones. The size you bought weigh 58 lbs a piece compared to 36 lbs for a stock tire so you added 110 lbs. Not the best but not the worse.

My point exactly. I was supprised by how much gas mileage I lost. I figured I'd lose two or three MPG tops.

OkcWrangler 05-09-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThingsAbove

You didn't mention if you re-calibrated your speedometer. If not and you went from 32" to 33" then you're recording fewer miles than your actually traveling by about 3%.

You also mentioned that your around town mileage was 18 but then you're comparing it to highway mileage. The lift will have greater negative impact on your highway mileage due to the increase in wind resistance at higher speeds. How many highway trips had you taken with the lift where you calculated mileage? One trip doesn't offer much for statistics.

Last week I drove 2.5 hours in one direction averaging 19.5 mpg and the return trip on the same road averaged 23.4 mpg. There was little elevation gain/loss. That particular 4 mpg difference was mostly attributable to wind.

Give it some time for averages to work themselves out. You've probably only lost 1 or 2 mpg.

Sorry forgot to mention I recalibrated with a procal. And I've had my lift for a little over a thousand miles now. Have had the wheels and tires for about 300 miles now. I drive about 40 miles to work every day on straight highway with no real elevation change. I do live in Oklahoma so it is pretty windy on a daily basis. I hope your right about it working itself out and only losing 1-2 MPG. Not that it would matter if it did end up being 4 because I'm still goina drive it ;-) I just prefer the better mileage!

4X4RDSTR 05-09-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2351415)
Im hovering around 13-15 and love it. Wranglers are boxes on wheels. Two thumbs up for just jeepn. Thought I was the only human out there that drives a Jeep for Jeep reasons.

I bought a Prius. 57 mpg BUT BORING !!!!!!
Now I have a Jeep and a Prius. :eek::dance::eek:

Sam_b 05-10-2012 07:55 AM

I get right at 15 mpg with 35's and a 3" lift in a 2012 on the highway. 12-13 around town.

jeepjungle 07-05-2012 12:49 PM

14-16 mpg average. 33's with leveling kit, im riding my bike to work it is only 3 miles to work. I do it for the workout.

Mikeb2323 07-06-2012 04:31 PM

Update. Im averaging about 20 mpg in my 08 sahara. up from 16 a couple weeks ago . mostly in local in town driving.

Doug4823 07-12-2012 11:14 AM

I'm averaging around 10-12 in a supercharged 08 with 33s and a lift. Does that sound right? I know the lift and tires take away mpg-s but I was thinking the extra power would make up for it... maybe not.

Daniel_M 07-12-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug4823 (Post 2574793)
I'm averaging around 10-12 in a supercharged 08 with 33s and a lift. Does that sound right? I know the lift and tires take away mpg-s but I was thinking the extra power would make up for it... maybe not.

Doesn't sound right to me.

I am getting about 12MPG with 3.25" of lift, 35's and 3.73 gears. I am also an '08 auto.

33's shouldn't be the same as or worse than my 35's IMO. Unless of course you are really liking the supercharger.:D

-Dan


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.