Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   grill inserts finally came in today (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/grill-inserts-finally-came-in-today-159187.html)

Tuma 05-09-2012 06:47 PM

grill inserts finally came in today

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 121205

Attachment 121204

ShaunWV 05-09-2012 06:57 PM

Cool. Looks good dood!

GonzoBobH 05-09-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunWV
Cool. Looks good dood!

It does, but is there any mesh behind the insert?

Tuma 05-09-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH

It does, but is there any mesh behind the insert?

No mesh

Fishead 05-09-2012 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuma (Post 2352221)
No mesh

Mesh is important. I had a rock hit mine so hard it tore it loose from the grill. Fortunately no damage, other than new paint on the mesh.
Had I not had the mesh, I would be looking at a new radiator or tranny cooler.

Love my mesh!

Blastek 05-09-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishead (Post 2352241)
Mesh is important. I had a rock hit mine so hard it tore it loose from the grill. Fortunately no damage, other than new paint on the mesh.

Love my mesh!

that looks great, especially on my favorite color!

steve66 05-09-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Love my mesh!

Where did you get these?

jppower 05-09-2012 08:21 PM

Someone used those inserts to attach mesh to the grill. I believe they bolted the mesh to the inserts instead of sticking it to the back of the grill.

strider_mt2k 05-10-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Love my mesh!

I'll second that.
I saw a marked amount of small dings in my rad and installed a black stainless mesh grill insert for the same reason.

Those grill openings are big enough to let some potentially damaging stuff sail right on through.

Fishead 05-11-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve66 (Post 2352371)
Where did you get these?

I picked up the metal at Lowes. I saw another owner's post and asked him the same thing.
When I finally got tired of walking up and down every isle at Lowes I finally asked a guy if they had any "expanded metal". He took me to the isle with the assorted 'long pieces' and in a flat box stuffed along side, was a packet of expanded metal that they advertised as being for a grill. It appears to be galvanized.

I put 4 coats of Krylon on it and used the plastic clips from the electrical area.
The sticky crap on the back isn't worth a hill of beans. Scrape off the stick'em and use a decent glue. I used Gorilla glue because I didn't have JB weld.
Zip tie them on and you are all set.

It took two pieces of metal to completely do the grill. One full sheet took care of all but one opening, so I had to buy a second one to fill the last slot. It think that it looks great, and it worked like a charm.

Kudos to the guys that came up with this mod! :Thanx: