Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Running a not full size spare (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/running-a-not-full-size-spare-159289.html)

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 09:25 AM

Running a not full size spare

I was doing a little trading at a local jeep junk yard and was able to get some great stuff that I needed and I was also able to trade the old tiny stock spare for a 31x10.50. The only thing is I am running 33x12.50's. I am eventually going to get a true full size spare, but for now will that 31 be enough to just limp me off the trail?

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 09:27 AM

The only reason I didn't trade for a 33 is because he just didn't have any at the time.

Blue_94_YJ 05-10-2012 10:09 AM

I have the actual Jeep donut tire for my spare. Here's hoping I never have to use it.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 11:16 AM

Yeah, and the last Jeep I owned had no spare at all. So I guess something is better than nothing.

kbwwolf 05-10-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDWheelin (Post 2354077)
I was doing a little trading at a local jeep junk yard and was able to get some great stuff that I needed and I was also able to trade the old tiny stock spare for a 31x10.50. The only thing is I am running 33x12.50's. I am eventually going to get a true full size spare, but for now will that 31 be enough to just limp me off the trail?

It'll get you home if you need it to. I wouldn't tour the German Autobahn on it, but that's just me. :)

According to Murphy's Law, you'll get multiple flats with the pee-wee spare, and never have another one after you drop some coin on a full-size replacement.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2354965)
It'll get you home if you need it to. I wouldn't tour the German Autobahn on it, but that's just me. :)

According to Murphy's Law, you'll get multiple flats with the pee-wee spare, and never have another one after you drop some coin on a full-size replacement.

You are probably exactly right with the Murphy's Law. But like you mentioned, I would only use it to get me off the trail and home. No Autobahn for me haha. Thanks for the input. :)

JIMBOX 05-10-2012 02:39 PM

:whistling: It'll work in an emergency, but

If you have a flat on the rear, you should swap with a front tire and use the SMALL spare, on the front to get you outta the badlands--

The front diff still turns, but outta 4wd--THERE'S NO LOAD ON THE DIFF.

Drive slow-if you still haveta use 4wd--GOOD LUCK-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 2355132)
:whistling: It'll work in an emergency, but

If you have a flat on the rear, you should swap with a front tire and use the SMALL spare, on the front to get you outta the badlands--

The front diff still turns, but outta 4wd--THERE'S NO LOAD ON THE DIFF.

Drive slow-if you still haveta use 4wd--GOOD LUCK-

Thanks for the tip JIMBOX. Good lookin' out. I will be sure to remember that if I run into trouble. Fingers crossed that won't happen tho.

JIMBOX 05-10-2012 02:58 PM

:D YUP, the chances of a flat on the freeway, are greater than off road, unless you're airing WAY DOWN !

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDWheelin (Post 2355156)
Thanks for the tip JIMBOX. Good lookin' out. I will be sure to remember that if I run into trouble. Fingers crossed that won't happen tho.

Don't think that letting air outta the other tires will balanceit --NOPE

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 03:09 PM

duly noted

tbreaux 05-11-2012 10:38 AM

good info here.

JRoweMDN 05-12-2012 09:14 PM

I just recently had a buddy tear up the rear end on his truck driving home 50 miles on a 31 spare with 35's. The front swap is the ticket and go slow.