Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   CB Amps (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/cb-amps-159312.html)

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 11:32 AM

CB Amps

I have heard there is a legal limit on how strong your amplifier can be. Is this true? If so, what is the limit? I live in Colorado (I don't know if state matters). Thanks.

TOKKIE 05-10-2012 11:44 AM

I thinks its 4 watts, linear amps are illegal on a cb.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOKKIE (Post 2354549)
I thinks its 4 watts, linear amps are illegal on a cb.

Next dumb question, how do I know if it's linear? I was given the amp by a friend and know nothing about it.

TOKKIE 05-10-2012 12:04 PM

I assume it's a linear, but requardless amps on cb radios are illegal unless licensed to run them. Most amps are made to run on ham units. That being said a lot of people run them. My brother in littleton use to run a 500watt broadcaster(use to be an am radio station broadcaster in the 50's)on a dominator antenna, he could stomp anyone in the denver area.

badmts 05-10-2012 12:15 PM

ANY AMP will put you over the 4 watts you can LEGALLY have.Amps (or kickers) only make sense if the people you want to talk to have them too. Like I live in the Seattle area and want to talk to Miami -the only answers I will ACTUALLY HEAR are others with BIG RADIOS (many people may hear the transmission but few have the equipment to answer).I think most importantly now it is so hard to find someone to install and tune a radio with a kicker as CB is a lost art (look around TRUCKSTOPS).IF you can find a competent CB tech in your area just have your radio "peaked and tuned" .This is "code" (wink,wink) for making your radio go from 4 to about 12 watts (a 300% increase).Without some external amp that takes special tuning and draws unwanted attenion-thieves/FCC

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 12:16 PM

Hahaha that is great! What is the reasoning behind the illegality and being that it's illegal how can you get caught?

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmts (Post 2354663)
ANY AMP will put you over the 4 watts you can LEGALLY have.Amps (or kickers) only make sense if the people you want to talk to have them too. Like I live in the Seattle area and want to talk to Miami -the only answers I will ACTUALLY HEAR are others with BIG RADIOS (many people may hear the transmission but few have the equipment to answer).I think most importantly now it is so hard to find someone to install and tune a radio with a kicker as CB is a lost art (look around TRUCKSTOPS).IF you can find a competent CB tech in your area just have your radio "peaked and tuned" .This is "code" (wink,wink) for making your radio go from 4 to about 12 watts (a 300% increase).Without some external amp that takes special tuning and draws unwanted attenion-thieves/FCC

Thanks badmts. I see that you mentioned the FCC. That was my main concern. I don't need to get involved with them. My only reason for wanting to use the amp in the first place is because I only have a cheap little radio shack CB and wasn't sure how well it would work.

TOKKIE 05-10-2012 12:35 PM

As for getting caught, if you are sitting still and broadcasting you can be found by using triangulation.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOKKIE (Post 2354765)
As for getting caught, if you are sitting still and broadcasting you can be found by using triangulation.

It sounds to me that using an amp isn't really necessary or worth the trouble it could get you in.

sparky 05-10-2012 01:58 PM

^ There you go. Fines can be $10,000, and they do enforce.

If you want to talk distance, get a license. It's not that hard. Morce code requirement is gone.

If you just want to talk with your friends local and on the trails using a CB, thats fine too.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 02:23 PM

Wow they aren't messing around with $10,000 fines. Amp is out.

FDWheelin 05-10-2012 02:24 PM

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the input and thanks for keeping me out of trouble.

ShowroomShine 05-10-2012 06:39 PM

They dont enforce the power limit that bad. I'm a member of several CB forums with people who dont have their ham tickets ( I have mine so I can run power) and out of the several years of being a member of the forums I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble. Dont bleed over into local radio/tv etc (set up your system right) and dont mis-use the power and you will be fine.

That being said, unless you are looking to make distance contacts you can just get a tune done on your radio and do any talking you want on any trail. I run a stock Galaxy tuned up and it works just fine and has made many contacts during the right conditions.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-11-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 2355028)
If you want to talk distance, get a license. It's not that hard. Morce code requirement is gone.

If you just want to talk with your friends local and on the trails using a CB, thats fine too.

+1

Radios are only as good as the system of support (other users). If you're the only amp then you have a broadcast station, like FM radio (except pirate, arrggg!).

I got my tech ticket last month, it was 15$ and 30 minutes of test. Now I can talk 50+ miles EASY from my jeep in simplex mode (w/o hitting repeaters). Total radio investment - 230$, including a custom built bracket for it. I can also scan local FD/PD/EMS dispatch on my rig, an added bonus to a license.

This site allows you to take a practice test from the actual question pool. Just click in the top left which test you want to try: technician (level 1), general (level 2), extra (level 3).

FDWheelin 05-12-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 2359907)
+1

Radios are only as good as the system of support (other users). If you're the only amp then you have a broadcast station, like FM radio (except pirate, arrggg!).

I got my tech ticket last month, it was 15$ and 30 minutes of test. Now I can talk 50+ miles EASY from my jeep in simplex mode (w/o hitting repeaters). Total radio investment - 230$, including a custom built bracket for it. I can also scan local FD/PD/EMS dispatch on my rig, an added bonus to a license.

This site allows you to take a practice test from the actual question pool. Just click in the top left which test you want to try: technician (level 1), general (level 2), extra (level 3).

Hey that's great! Thanks. I'll have to check the site out.

sparky 05-12-2012 12:30 PM

You can also take practice tests here.
QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams
Good general info site, and they post when your license has been granted.
To learn where to take the test. Use the ARRL site. Also list classes and local clubs.
ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air

BlueRidge is talking 50 miles on VHF, put a HF rig in there, and who knows. Good conditions, around the world.