Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Xj alternator to TJ swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/xj-alternator-to-tj-swap-159524.html)

t.petron 05-11-2012 11:20 AM

Xj alternator to TJ swap

I apologize if this is a question that has a simple asnwer, but I am new to the mechanic side of Jeeping. Is it possible to swap a 1999 TJ's alternator out for 1999 XJ 130amp alternator. :confused:

I know it is possible to swap it for a durango's, but i am unsure about an XJ. If anyone has done this it would be extremely helpful.

jeepjones 05-12-2012 07:53 AM

I think the mounting tabs are completely different. You can also swap a Dodge 1 ton Alternater onto a "98 TJ, im not sure about a '99. Make sure the pulley size is the same, if it isn't you will have to swap it over as well.

Badass_TJ 05-12-2012 11:12 AM

you can get a 117 amp alt from napa made for your jeep, i beleive jeeps with a/c came with the higher out puts alts....

NAPA AUTO PARTS)

Border Dave 05-12-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badass_TJ (Post 2361204)
you can get a 117 amp alt from napa made for your jeep, i beleive jeeps with a/c came with the higher out puts alts....

NAPA AUTO PARTS)

The highest output alternator that came from the factory on a TJ is 117 amps.

s14sh3r 05-12-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badass_TJ (Post 2361204)

NAPA AUTO PARTS)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2361817)

Mine came with a 117 amp alternator.

Badass_TJ 05-12-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2361817)

Thats what im saying....:thumb:

t.petron 05-16-2012 03:23 PM

Thank you for the help.

My next step now i guess would be to see what output my alternator is at, and go from there.

My main reason for upgrading is I am planning on mounting a 8000-9500lb winch very soon and its my understanding that with a winch that size I wont have enough power to run the winch.

Border Dave 05-16-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.petron (Post 2374790)
Thank you for the help.

My next step now i guess would be to see what output my alternator is at, and go from there.

My main reason for upgrading is I am planning on mounting a 8000-9500lb winch very soon and its my understanding that with a winch that size I wont have enough power to run the winch.

You have a very poor understanding then. You may need to upgrade your battery, but not your alternator. With a higher output alternator, your battery may recover quicker, but it's not going to make much difference while winching. A winch can draw about 450 amps from your battery under full load. How many alternators do you know of that produce that much current?

t.petron 05-16-2012 06:27 PM

I know of one.. Engineered Machined Products : Power450 High Performance Alternator

So I should be looking at replacing my battery instead of the alternator? Dual battery setup maybe? What batteries would work best? Or what should I look for when I'm looking at them?

Border Dave 05-16-2012 06:48 PM

Personally, I would recommend the Sears Diehard Platinum battery. It's an absorbed glass-mat (AGM) battery that acts as a starting battery and has a huge reserve capacity. Also, being that it's an AGM battery, it will never leak(without being damaged). It also has the best warranty in the industry. Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78DT (Price with Exchange)- DieHard-Automotive-Batteries-Car Batteries

You could opt for the Marine battery, but it doesn't have the same warranty: Platinum Marine Battery - Group Size 34M (Price with Exchange)- DieHard-Automotive-Batteries-Marine Batteries

There are other AGM batteries on the market, but I recommend the Diehard Platinum for it's quality and warranty.

I don't have a winch, but in my Jeep I use a red top Optima (USA made) and a Diehard Platinum in my Chevy. Maybe some folks with winches can chime in with their experiences with different batteries.

t.petron 05-21-2012 10:51 AM

Thank you much Border Dave. I think I found my solution.