Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   FREEDOM TOP glass panels? (YES!) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/freedom-top-glass-panels-yes-159655.html)

saharaguy 05-11-2012 10:00 PM

FREEDOM TOP glass panels? (YES!)

OK...I could SWEAR I saw an ad somewhere for a kit to convert the front two removable panels on the 3-piece 'Freedom Top' (Jeep JKs)...to ones with fixed GLASS center areas...???!!

In theory, it would not be that hard to do...just look UP at the panels from inside...There are two recessed areas that are mirrored by the outside areas with the raised 'ribs'...Those areas could fairly easily be cut out and a glass panel subsituted...glued into place like the rear side windows...

Am I nuts? Or does this sound like a good idea to get more LIGHT into the cockpit when tops are on?

I guess such glass panels could even be openable or removable also...but that would add weight and complication...

There is a company making (or considering making) a ONE piece glass roof to replace BOTH front sections of the Freedom Top - but it:
a) seems like it would be asking for LEAKS
b) seems to be heavy
c) looks crappy

here: Wade Automotive Products

My idea would be to replace the centers of both front tops with lightweight tinted safety glass therby preserving the FACTORY look...but with glass 'recessed' centers...

In Canada, at least where I live...weather sucks (a lot) and I don't get the tops off as often as I'd like...and, even with the nice two tone 'saddle' interior I have, it's STILL dark in there!!

Comments?

HEY!! I JUST FOUND A COMPANY THAT MAKES THEM!!!! (as I was writing this!):thumb: (so I guess it AIN'T MY IDEA!!)

New JeeTops

S-Guy

SilverSport 05-11-2012 10:04 PM

Quadratec sells them, but be prepared for sticker shock. :eek:

wrangler0 05-11-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saharaguy (Post 2360266)
Am I nuts? Or does this sound like a good idea to get more LIGHT into the cockpit when tops are on?

You're nuts :)

Hey...you asked

:punk:

greenjeepgurl87 05-11-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi
Quadratec sells them, but be prepared for sticker shock. :eek:

Out of curiosity how bad we talkin?

Yantzie 05-11-2012 10:16 PM

JeeTops Freedom Panels for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Core Charge - Quadratec

cavsvet74 05-11-2012 10:21 PM

There is a core charge. You get $650 back when you return your existing freedom panels.

Spro12JK 05-11-2012 10:26 PM

Those are cool but not worth the price even with getting $650 back.

saharaguy 05-11-2012 10:37 PM

ummm...are the 'negative' comments maybe more about looking like less of a 'real Jeep guy/gal' with glass panels - because 'real' Jeep people drive in the snow and rain with the tops off (and pop the drains to remove the water from the footwells, later)?

The price for the 'JeeTops'...when you factor in the 'core charge reversal' is less than a grand...Wouldn't that be worth it to let more light in?

I can think of a ton of other Jeep accessories that cost a heck of a lot more that wouldn't produce the bang for the buck that getting LIGHT into the cockpit with these things would...

But, hey...that's just me...

lolpetewtf 05-11-2012 10:43 PM

mmm then go for it.

cavsvet74 05-11-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saharaguy (Post 2360378)
less than a grand...

The cheaper option from Quadratec is $1300. That is sending your top panels in to have the glass installed.

$1950 if you buy new panels with the glass. Then get $650 back if you send in your tops afterwards.

Ricky-2012JKU 05-11-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saharaguy

The price for the 'JeeTops'...when you factor in the 'core charge reversal' is less than a grand...Wouldn't that be worth it to let more light in?

No not even close. Personally has nothing to do with real jeepers. But more with letting more light in is not worth a grand. But hey bro it's your jeep your money spend it and alter your jeep as you see fit.

Sinz 05-11-2012 10:48 PM

I just ordered a set of the front tops through my dealer, I got them for $1000.00 here in Toronto, ON, Maybe they give the stealership a good deal because they are right across the street from them I don't know but I got mine for the price that I posted...Quadratec is way over priced! here is the link to the company that makes them in Canada--->http://www.national4wd.com/?p=4242

wrangler0 05-11-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

ummm...are the 'negative' comments maybe more about looking like less of a 'real Jeep guy/gal' with glass panels - because 'real' Jeep people drive in the snow and rain with the tops off (and pop the drains to remove the water from the footwells, later)?

I can think of a ton of other Jeep accessories that cost a heck of a lot more that wouldn't produce the bang for the buck that getting LIGHT into the cockpit with these things would...

If you feel the need to let more light in, go for it it's your Jeep! :)

I personally don't feel the need for more light inside and I don't like how the panels look with glass in them. Has nothing to do with it 'not looking like a Jeep'.

Not being negative at all, you asked for comments....I commented :)

themoneypit 05-11-2012 11:01 PM

Cool idea, but for about a grand I'll just take the solid tops off.

kjeeper10 05-11-2012 11:10 PM

Way 2 much considering my hard top is only on during the winter/cold months.

DrDanimalSize 05-12-2012 12:09 AM

for $500 I'd consider it, but for $1300??? ummm no.

strider_mt2k 05-12-2012 04:49 AM

It looks cool, but I have too many other mods to spend that money on first.
This is one of those maybe someday mods that gets continually pushed to the bottom of the list but is still kept on the list because it is kinda cool.

cavsvet74 05-12-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
It looks cool, but I have too many other mods to spend that money on first.
This is one of those maybe someday mods that gets continually pushed to the bottom of the list but is still kept on the list because it is kinda cool.

Yep.

kbwwolf 05-12-2012 07:47 AM

You can get Jeeps with hard tops? :confused:

positrak 05-12-2012 07:53 AM

It's a peculiar product, other than the back portion on a JKU which might be an idea, because you can take the fronts off. Otherwise I'd prefer it if it was actually a sun roof, where you leave the panels on but can slide it open, Unless the sole idea is for winters it's point is just to let in light. If for the summer, how about a clear bikini top instead. Leave hard top on, remove panels install a clear vinyl bikini, keep with wind out and the sun in.:whistling:

The purpose of it or reason just seems peculiar when you have so many combos with the stock.

Some even more enterprising indvidual could mould a one piece acrylic perspex other clear lightweight panel for a fraction of the price and sell it for probably 3 x's less than this.

Maybe the next big thing is a pope mobile clear hard top. The whole thing is see through plastic smoked out.

Sinz 05-13-2012 12:37 AM

True...I consider it for winter use to make it feel like you have them off in the summer minus the cold lol! it's definitely something different that everyone does not have!

mcdull 05-13-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

All the cars I bought before I must get the sunroof, usually the option was less than $1000 or if it came with other options that might cost a little more. Anyway, the sunroofs were POWERED also.

So, over a grand for 2 piece of panels, I do think it's very much overpriced.

Sinz 05-13-2012 12:49 AM

Chrysler doesn't make them but look at it this way, you can have them on and still get the light through or you can remove the top completely...still you get to look up and outside either way!

Sinz 05-15-2012 06:41 PM

Got my tops yesterday :thumb:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/wha...145035-72.html

billjean2011 08-03-2012 10:06 AM

Would love to see some pics of the glass tops...thinking of adding them to my Call of Duty

motherofchaos 05-24-2013 12:49 PM

If you live in a state like Alaska, not only are our summer days limited but our sunlight as well. These are great to get a little vitamin D the other 10 months of the year.

overblown 05-24-2013 01:07 PM

WOW! That is amazing. Why did you have to show me that?!!!! My Land Rover has a glass roof and it's one of my favorite features.....

legitposter 05-24-2013 02:21 PM

Having the sun baring down on me, even when im not in the mood, doesn't sound like fun. That's why I like our freedom tops - off when im in the mood, on when im not. I'd hate to put the freedom top on but still have sun staring at me and lighting up the inside of the jeep.

labmule 05-24-2013 03:21 PM

In my opinion the panels come off to easily for it to be worth it putting windows in, but its yours man and that is all that matters.

woansleftpeg 05-24-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positrak (Post 2360925)
Maybe the next big thing is a pope mobile clear hard top. The whole thing is see through plastic smoked out.

I love the idea of a completely clear plastic hard top.