Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What is the most economic way........... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-is-the-most-economic-way-15994.html)

Scooby 02-24-2008 10:34 AM

What is the most economic way...........

to put 32" tires on a stock 2002 Sport? What do I need to have enough clearance so they do not rub? Just looking for the easiest way to do this. Does not look like there is alot of off roading in the future, just regular driving with the chance of pulling a pop up tent camper. Going for the look more than anything else. Thanks, Scooby

orange05tj 02-24-2008 10:38 AM

I had 32" Pro Comp MT's on with no lift. They only measured 30.5" and on a soft 8, I had no issues. If anything, do a 1.25 body lift and you'll be good to go. My 2 cents

Scoob 02-24-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 197638)
to put 32" tires on a stock 2002 Sport? What do I need to have enough clearance so they do not rub? Just looking for the easiest way to do this. Does not look like there is alot of off roading in the future, just regular driving with the chance of pulling a pop up tent camper. Going for the look more than anything else. Thanks, Scooby

Yep, the cheapest way would be a body lift and some cheesy steelies. Wouldn't look good, but its the cheapest way :)

But if your after "The Look" the black steelie with some mall terrains on it is the ultimate poser set up.

orange05tj 02-24-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 197640)
Yep, the cheapest way would be a body lift and some cheesy steelies. Wouldn't look good, but its the cheapest way :)

But if your after "The Look" the black steelie with some mall terrains on it is the ultimate poser set up.

:rofl: mall terrains. It'll look decent.

richp 02-24-2008 11:04 AM

You can go cheap or good, if you do the body lift please save yourself some problems and do the motor lift too, when the body goes up so does the radiator and fan shroud while the fan stays in the same spot, see what I mean. I did 2" spacer lift and used 07 rubi shocks and it cost me less than $100, the shocks I got from a guy who had his rubi lifted brand new out of the box by the dealer, they had -0- miles on them or whatever mileage they get between the assembly line and being rolled off the truck at the dealers lot.

Scooby 02-24-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 197640)

Scoob,
I have read before that you call some tires "mall terrains", but Iam not sure what that means, could you please clear this up for me? Thanks, Scooby

Scooby 02-24-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richp (Post 197647)
You can go cheap or good, if you do the body lift please save yourself some problems and do the motor lift too, when the body goes up so does the radiator and fan shroud while the fan stays in the same spot, see what I mean. I did 2" spacer lift and used 07 rubi shocks and it cost me less than $100, the shocks I got from a guy who had his rubi lifted brand new out of the box by the dealer, they had -0- miles on them or whatever mileage they get between the assembly line and being rolled off the truck at the dealers lot.

Are the Rubi shocks longer? I like the idea of a 2" coil spacers and Rubi shocks for $100.00! This would work for 32" tires? Thanks again, Scooby

mrbigjeep 02-24-2008 03:45 PM

how many times have you asked this?

if you do a body lift you do not have to do a MML. and don't listen to the people that say you should do a MML to avoid messing with the radiator and fan shroud. putting the brackets on for the fan shroud is far easier and less time consuming than a MML.

i don't think that TJ rubi shocks are any longer. just get a BB with shocks and be done with it. if you don't wanna shell out the money for new shocks then get shock extenders/BPE's from rocky road outfitters for like $60 (pair of front and rear). the shock extenders with coil spacers would be very cheap and would let you keep the stock shocks and a stock ride.

Scooby 02-24-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 197705)

if you do a body lift you do not have to do a MML. and don't listen to the people that say you should do a MML to avoid messing with the radiator and fan shroud. putting the brackets on for the fan shroud is far easier and less time consuming than a MML.

i don't think that TJ rubi shocks are any longer. just get a BB with shocks and be done with it. if you don't wanna shell out the money for new shocks then get shock extenders/BPE's from rocky road outfitters for like $60 (pair of front and rear). the shock extenders with coil spacers would be very cheap and would let you keep the stock shocks and a stock ride.

Sorry, I guess I did not read the limitations for the board.:confused:

orange05tj 02-24-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep (Post 197705)

My BL came with no brackets for the fan shroud and was impossible to get a drill in there to move the shroud. I found the mml to be a quite simple job.

richp 02-24-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 197712)
My BL came with no brackets for the fan shroud and was impossible to get a drill in there to move the shroud. I found the mml to be a quite simple job.

Yes, two people, floor jack, couple of pry bars, some scrap 2x4's, 15 minute job. Also you don't have to futz with the shifter either.

Scoob 02-24-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 197654)
Scoob,
I have read before that you call some tires "mall terrains", but Iam not sure what that means, could you please clear this up for me? Thanks, Scooby

Mall terrains is just another name for All terrains. Since they are made mainly for mall cruising many (like myself) call them Mall Terrains. They would go perfect on a set of black steelies:rofl:

To help, here is a couple pictures of MALL Terrain tires

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/image...ain-t-a-ko.jpg

http://www.dickcepek.com/images/FCIIRadialLg.jpg

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tire...at-revo-lg.jpg

orange05tj 02-24-2008 07:15 PM

BFG AT maybe a mall terrain, but after killing my Pro Suck MT's in 5 months, I cant wait to get the bfgs. that is all

bpowa 02-24-2008 07:32 PM

its not "mall terrains" I see them as "balls terrain"..:p

Triple88a 02-24-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 197753)
Mall terrains is just another name for All terrains

SUV Tires are mall terrains.

SUV Tires
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/images/pro...n/WR-SUV-2.jpg

ATs
http://www.ostlestyres.co.uk/images/...ll-terrain.jpg

See the difference?

Scoob 02-24-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 197761)

SUV tires are street tires.

All Terrains ARE MALL Terrains.

Triple88a 02-24-2008 08:02 PM

and how do you get to the mall?

anyhow to the original question, if you're not planning on going with bigger tires than 32s, i'd get 1" coil spacers and thats all. 25 bucks a pair makes it cheaper than a bl. 50 vs 80 or 90 and you wont have any gaps to cover.

orange05tj 02-24-2008 08:06 PM

x2

Scoob 02-24-2008 08:16 PM

The expensive part of him going to 32's is not the lift. That is cheap and easy. His problem is the 11.5 tires and the rubbing they are going to cause. With factory rims and their 5.5" backspace is not going to be enough to stop the wheels from rubbing. he either needs different wheels (cheasy steelies) or a set of wheel spacers. Either way its a big added expense.
If money is that tight Scooby I would just go with a set of 31X10.5 MALL Terrains (like I posted pictures of) on your factory wheels. You will need no lift or anyhting at all and most of the people at the mall wont know the difference between a 31 and a 32.

Scoob 02-24-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 197772)
and how do you get to the mall?

In your case, on MALL terrain tires :rofl::rofl::rofl:

or are you runing street tires now?

orange05tj 02-24-2008 08:23 PM

but people can tell stick on armor at the mall.

Triple88a 02-24-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 197784)
In your case, on MALL terrain tires :rofl::rofl::rofl:

or are you runing street tires now?

actually on my 35s not 33s :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scoob 02-24-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 197791)
actually on my 35s not 33s :rofl::rofl::rofl:

35" mall terrains or street tires, they must be making them speed bumps you "wheel" on big now days:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Triple88a 02-24-2008 08:47 PM

actually they are ALL TERRAINS
thats a 3-4 foot speed bump as you call it.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...w/DSCF0003.jpg

When my gf uploads pics from the weekend trip i'll post few more pics.

But those 35s handle the 2 feet of snow out in the country great.

btw i didnt know you go through mud, snow, sand, rocks and other stuff to get to the mall.

Scoob 02-24-2008 08:59 PM

Mall terrains, I see. Don't get all defencive Trip. For some people mall terrains are the perfect choice. Like when all your "wheeling" is done in the city and on the streets.
If your going to spend all your time on the road running around town there is really no need for a mud tire. Your better off them rather then having to listen to a mud tire when all your after is "the Look". Which is why they created the Mall terrain.

You should take that thing to an off road park at least once. If nothing else to get some pics :)

orange05tj 02-24-2008 09:03 PM

I am ditching my MT's for Mall Terrains only because I do 1000 miles a week back and forth to work and school and MT's wore down to fast. I need a tire that will get long wear. I'm going to miss the sound of the mt's howling down the road.

Scoob 02-24-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 197819)
I am ditching my MT's for Mall Terrains only because I do 1000 miles a week back and forth to work and school and MT's wore down to fast. I need a tire that will get long wear. I'm going to miss the sound of the mt's howling down the road.

I have 45K on my Mickey Thompson MTZ's right now and still have 11/32'nd of an inch of tread left. Enough to make me to about 50-55K. But I will change them out in about a month or 2 for new ones.

orange05tj 02-24-2008 09:21 PM

I didn't know the MTZ got that kind of milage. Damm, wish I researched first.

Triple88a 02-24-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 197815)
You should take that thing to an off road park at least once. If nothing else to get some pics :)

once it warms up i will. the problem i have now is its over 100 miles to get to the CLOSEST offroad park.

i took it around my gf grandfathers farm through those small dirt roads today.

got some mud on it but it was just too frozen.

Scoob 02-24-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 197827)
once it warms up i will. the problem i have now is its over 100 miles to get to the CLOSEST offroad park.

i took it around my gf grandfathers farm through those small dirt roads today.

got some mud on it but it was just too frozen.

I feel your pain. I wish I was that close to a place to wheel. The closest one to us (Omaha, Nebraska) is Tuttle Creek ORV in Randolph Kansas. 195 miles from my driveway to the park entrance. We go every chance we get though. In the summer its every month for a weekend in the winter its about every other month. The snow and cold makes it like all new trials.