Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Hot Oil Light Limp Mode (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-hot-oil-light-limp-mode-160022.html)

mbutler82 05-13-2012 09:26 PM

2012 Hot Oil Light Limp Mode
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Drove my 2012 1/4 mile saturday from a cold start in 80 degree weather. Hot oil light comes on and jeep goes into limp mode...Called dealer they had me drive it in. Right around the corner...Jeep has 2000 miles on it. Never had it off roading yet...totally stock...wondering if anyone else has had this problem yet? hopefully dealer finds something tomorrow..it has been sitting since sat evening so i hope the light may come on again...if not i am assuming they are just going to send me on my way...thanks for any info on this problem...

joe002 05-13-2012 09:34 PM

Doesn't look right at all - especially for a 2012 with the added cooler. If the transmission is really getting that hot in your situation then it sure sounds like a defect in the transmission/torque converter.

You do have the pic to show the service guys if they don't see anything in the computer.

mbutler82 05-13-2012 09:41 PM

Cant image the transmission getting that hot in that short amount of time though. Thats whats got me wondering...

joe002 05-13-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutler82 (Post 2365620)
Cant image the transmission getting that hot in that short amount of time though. Thats whats got me wondering...

If you only drove it 1/4 mile on the road and it got that hot there has to be a defect in the transmission/torque converter, lack of oil, or maybe it really isn't that hot and it's just a bad sensor/computer thing. I donít think you could even get a pre-2012 to get Hot Oil in only a 1/4 mile from a 80 degree starting temp.

mbutler82 05-14-2012 05:30 AM

Scanned the jeep this morning. Receive code u0101 could not establish link with TCM. Still had the hot oil light. After it sat all weekend. Sounds like it might be a an electrical problem. Let's see what the dealership says today.

Daniel_M 05-14-2012 09:15 AM

Could be. Do the 2012 have a transmission cooler stock? I though they did...

-Dan

joe002 05-14-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutler82 (Post 2366198)
Scanned the jeep this morning. Receive code u0101 could not establish link with TCM. Still had the hot oil light. After it sat all weekend. Sounds like it might be a an electrical problem. Let's see what the dealership says today.

Yeah, it sure isn't hot from just sitting there. At least you don't have to worry about your transmission all burnt up inside.

MarineHawk 05-14-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2366643)
Could be. Do the 2012 have a transmission cooler stock? I though they did...

-Dan

They do.

mbutler82 05-14-2012 04:11 PM

Went to dealer today and they told me it was a bad TCM. Part will be in tomorrow. Let's see what happens. 2000 miles an stuff is breaking already. Testing my confidence in the jk.

mbutler82 05-19-2012 11:39 AM

It ended up being the tcm that was bad. No damage to trans, just false indicator. Best case scenario I guess. Thanks for the help.

joe002 05-19-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbutler82 (Post 2384086)
It ended up being the tcm that was bad. No damage to trans, just false indicator. Best case scenario I guess. Thanks for the help.

Cool, glad it was just an electrical gremlin!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.