Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Trail Pics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/)
-   -   Driving to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/driving-to-the-bottom-of-the-grand-canyon-160172.html)

CactusRed 05-14-2012 02:47 PM

Driving to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
 
3 Attachment(s)
Yes, you can!

It's an all dirt 21 mile drive on Diamond Creek Road. It leaves from Peach Spring on old Rt 66 on the Hualapai Reservation. A permit is required, and can be purchased at the hotel in Peach Springs.

We took off the Freedom panels about noon at 82 degrees. An hour later it was 98 degrees, and we were parked on the sand of the Colorado River at 1330'. The road drops 4000 feet in elevation. My wife had a great time driving down in her '12 JKUR. The scenery is spectacular to say the least!

Mark

nick50471 05-14-2012 02:53 PM

Nice...Would love to see more pictures.:thumb:

denisbaldwin 05-14-2012 03:29 PM

Looks fun!

bbtj 05-15-2012 07:26 AM

Same Here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 2367597)
Nice...Would love to see more pictures.:thumb:

One more trip to add to my list of places to go.

Xjman1 05-15-2012 08:33 AM

I researched that last year and added it on my to do list.Thanks for the report as it moves it up a notch or two.

Beastmaster 05-15-2012 08:39 AM

Sweet, I thought there was only one way to ride to the bottom.

http://www.arizona-leisure.com/gfx/mule-rides.jpg

jonster 05-18-2012 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We were there a few weeks ago. Did you see these?

motorep 05-20-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CactusRed (Post 2367581)
Yes, you can!

It's an all dirt 21 mile drive on Diamond Creek Road. It leaves from Peach Spring on old Rt 66 on the Hualapai Reservation. A permit is required, and can be purchased at the hotel in Peach Springs.

We took off the Freedom panels about noon at 82 degrees. An hour later it was 98 degrees, and we were parked on the sand of the Colorado River at 1330'. The road drops 4000 feet in elevation. My wife had a great time driving down in her '12 JKUR. The scenery is spectacular to say the least!

Mark

WOW!!! I had no clue that was possible. It's now at the top of my "to do" list. Thank you!!!

CactusRed 05-22-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonster (Post 2382673)
We were there a few weeks ago. Did you see these?

Nope, not much was moving other than birds.

VANMAN2070 05-22-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 2367597)
Nice...Would love to see more pictures.:thumb:


x2

1994JeepYJ 06-20-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 2367597)
nice...would love to see more pictures.

x3

wiseguy52 06-21-2012 10:34 AM

x4

jonster 06-22-2012 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if the OP has any but here's one more.

CactusRed 07-01-2012 06:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more:

wat3rdog 07-10-2012 06:43 PM

Nice! I'm only 4 hrs away. Looks like a great idea for a vacation. Do they let you camp over night at the bottom? Thanks for the pics.

DFW6ER 07-10-2012 07:17 PM

Wow. I now know what I MUST DO next year, as we were already discussing going to the Grand Canyon anyway. We want to stop at Meteor Crater as well...but I doubt they let you drive to the bottom of that.

tabber02 07-10-2012 09:55 PM

wow, i had no idea that it was possible to drive into the canyon! holy crap, i need to plan a road trip.. florida to arizona. i can think of a few places to wheel along the way too! :dance:

wat3rdog 07-10-2012 10:46 PM

where does the permit fee go to? The rangers?

jonster 07-11-2012 09:20 AM

The road is on the Hualapai Tribal Reservation. I'm sure the funds help maintain the road. It is a fun place to stop. The lodge there looks real clean also. I don't know if they allow camping at the bottom.

wat3rdog 07-11-2012 01:11 PM

Cool, thanks.

mpohl13 07-16-2012 01:33 PM

Great place to ride!

tabber02 07-16-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpohl13 (Post 2589463)
Great place to ride!

that might be an understatement! :eek: man, that's worth the trip! anyone up for a convoy to the grand canyon? :rofl:

olebluetj 07-16-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonster (Post 2569763)
The road is on the Hualapai Tribal Reservation. I'm sure the funds help maintain the road. It is a fun place to stop. The lodge there looks real clean also. I don't know if they allow camping at the bottom.

they do let you camp on the bottom, just get a permit, have some friends
that went a few years ago.

wat3rdog 07-18-2012 06:42 PM

Nice! Can't wait to go camping there. It's only 4hrs from me.

Buildbreakrepatohio 07-18-2012 09:02 PM

Wow amazing pics that's defiantly something every jeep owner should do

FZY1 07-19-2012 12:29 PM

That looks like another thing for the bucket list!

HI-life 07-19-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonster (Post 2504324)
Don't know if the OP has any but here's one more.

Is that Toroweap overlook? If so, I've been there. Walking near the edge is a little scary but the views are absolutely breathtaking. Still need to do the drive down to the river though, one of these days.

damndirtydog 07-19-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 2590131)
that might be an understatement! :eek: man, that's worth the trip! anyone up for a convoy to the grand canyon? :rofl:

Put me on the list....could be up for that t02.
Hiked halfway to the bottom last year and the smell of all the mule dung broiling in the afternoon sun about brought us to our knees. Driving jeeps would be much better.

jonster 07-20-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HI-life (Post 2602000)
Is that Toroweap overlook? If so, I've been there. Walking near the edge is a little scary but the views are absolutely breathtaking. Still need to do the drive down to the river though, one of these days.

Yes it is. Went to so many places that trip I got the two mixed up. That is a fun drive also.

Here are a couple more form the bottom trip.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...j/DSC_0408.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...j/DSC_0409.jpg

Judyjeep 08-10-2012 08:45 PM

Awesome! Now I know where I'm heading on my next road trip! Thanks for the pictures!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.