Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Uconnect on a RES radio (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/uconnect-on-a-res-radio-160757.html)

Bbumsted 05-17-2012 12:55 AM

Uconnect on a RES radio

As any one added uconnect to their stock RES radio? I do not have any phone buttons on my radio. I'm wondering if it will have the same functionality if I install it myself. I looked at the install instructions, doesn't seem too complicated, but there was no mention in the instructions I saw for steering wheel or radio buttons.

daggo66 05-17-2012 08:27 AM

If you don't have the uconnect buttons on the radio, it's not going to work.

xsdbs 05-17-2012 11:35 AM

Actually, this was correct up to about 3 weeks ago. Mopar now has a kit for this radio. The kit PN is:
Vehicles with High Speed CAN BUS -- 82213221
Vehicles with Low Speed CAN BUS -- 82213219
Your Wrangler is a High Speed CAN BUS vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2377127)
If you don't have the uconnect buttons on the radio, it's not going to work.

Bbumsted 05-17-2012 06:16 PM

My local jeep sales guy says it won't work. Have to roach the head unit. So the question is now, is it as simple as buying a new radio and plugging it into my current set up? Is there any anti theft issues that will need to be addressed if I but one from Craigslist or EBay?

Bbumsted 05-17-2012 08:19 PM

I hate the iPhone auto correct. Would have to buy a new head unit.

xsdbs 05-17-2012 10:02 PM

your guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The kits that I mentioned are new to the dealers as of 3 weeks ago. Ask him if he's tried the installation as well ask him the cost of the unit. Ask him why it won't work. HE's dead wrong.
2012 radios started using the anti theft system which is coded to the VIN#. If you purchase a new (used) radio and if it's a 2012 radio, make sure that you get the security code. If not then the dealer will need the original vin & the serial # of the radio, then they can get the code.
But really, you don't need a new radio. The kit comes complete with the harness, mic, module and a mini touch pad with the Uconnect buttons on it. The install is quite easy and after the install, the dealer will need to flash the vehicle for code RSP, they'll try to charge you $100 (1 hr labor), but tell them you know it doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes and you'll gladly pay $50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbumsted (Post 2378824)
My local jeep sales guy says it won't work. Have to roach the head unit. So the question is now, is it as simple as buying a new radio and plugging it into my current set up? Is there any anti theft issues that will need to be addressed if I but one from Craigslist or EBay?

xsdbs 05-17-2012 10:07 PM

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the "iPhone auto correct",
but honestly, you don't have to buy a new radio. I know this for a fact and the parts guy obviously has no clue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbumsted (Post 2379123)
I hate the iPhone auto correct. Would have to buy a new head unit.

Bbumsted 05-18-2012 12:41 AM

My iPhone auto corrected what I had written and changed one of the words. The sentence didn't make sense. Thank you for the information, I will look into it tomorrow.

xsdbs 05-18-2012 09:14 AM

Oh, yeah I hate that feature also. I turned mine off in the settings menu under keyboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbumsted (Post 2380105)
My iPhone auto corrected what I had written and changed one of the words. The sentence didn't make sense. Thank you for the information, I will look into it tomorrow.

Bbumsted 05-18-2012 02:42 PM

I called the parts guy at Jeep today, he confirmed it is a new parts number. It can't be ordered yet, but they have 175 of them being shipped to the warehouse. $379 for the kit.

Bbumsted 05-18-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbumsted
I called the parts guy at Jeep today, he confirmed it is a new parts number. It can't be ordered yet, but they have 175 of them being shipped to the warehouse. $379 for the kit.

Thanks for all the help!

xsdbs 05-18-2012 03:02 PM

You're welcome. $379 huh, is that an installed price? If not, did he say what they'd charge for the flashing of the vehicle after the install? How long till they have them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbumsted (Post 2381577)
Thanks for all the help!