Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Wheeling: Rocks vs Mud (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/wheeling-rocks-vs-mud-160801.html)

relwell 05-17-2012 11:01 AM

Wheeling: Rocks vs Mud

In the too many years I have owned Jeep(s) I have been hearing this debate. Maybe it is on here somewhere already, but my half-as$ed search has turned up nothing.

So, which is it? Rocks or Mud?

On the right coast here we have both, but I won't get my Jeep near a mud pit anymore if I don't have to.

I gotta vote rawks. Slow, technical, more line choices and I don't have to worry about water in my diffs etc. That and when I crawl under my Jeep crusty hidden mud caked on the rig doesn't hit me in the eye since I stopped playing in the mud.

Your turn. Which is it? Rocks or Mud?

:popcorn:

CiDZillA 05-17-2012 11:07 AM

I'd say Pros and Cons for both but I like getting dirty. Plus being in MN I don't have many rocks to crawl on. Get 'er messy and grab the power washer, at least that's what I did last weekend.

JIMBOX 05-17-2012 11:08 AM

:whistling: It's not "rocks or mud", there's a lot more to off-roading than those two, but

I'll never go near mud either-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Renaissance_Redneck 05-17-2012 11:13 AM

No deep mud for me, thanks.

Cons_Table 05-17-2012 11:20 AM

Rocks...when I first got my jeep, I thought the mud was fun. I grew outta that pretty quick though...between water getting in unnecessary places, and it making a mess of the undercarriage, I got over it pretty quick lol. The only time I hit the mud now is if it's on the way to the rocks ;)

yrflu 05-17-2012 11:20 AM

I will drive through bushes and trees to avoid mud. Mud killed my first jeep. I realize if I had cleaned my jeep better it would have lasted longer. But I think it is easier to take care of jeep that is in the rocks than in the mud.

GREEN-MACHINE 05-17-2012 11:48 AM

up here in new england we have muddy rocks and rocks with mud. no gitting away form it.

relwell 05-17-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2377664)
Rocks...when I first got my jeep, I thought the mud was fun. I grew outta that pretty quick though...between water getting in unnecessary places, and it making a mess of the undercarriage, I got over it pretty quick lol. The only time I hit the mud now is if it's on the way to the rocks ;)

Same here. Blasted a few puddles a decade ago when I got my Jeep, and still finding pieces of it inside my frame and under my fenders no matter how many times I power wash it.

Was expecting a few more mudders in here to chime in!

Mitchness 05-17-2012 12:11 PM

Mud is fun "in the moment", but is a PITA afterwards.

Rocks are more technical, less messy, and give a greater sense of accomplishment.

Wrangler_Man11 05-17-2012 12:14 PM

I like both, depends on my mood and how the weather has been. Sand is my favorite.

Con Artist 05-17-2012 12:46 PM

I prefer parking blocks. :D

yrflu 05-17-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness (Post 2377813)
Mud is fun "in the moment", but is a PITA afterwards.

Rocks are more technical, less messy, and give a greater sense of accomplishment.

This is very true. If I could pay someone to clean my jeep after wheeling, I would love the mud. No doubt about it. But I am very very lazy. I would rather deal with a random mechanical break than a mud caused injury.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3033760_n.jpg

HK_Runner 05-17-2012 01:24 PM

I prefer rocks and will not go to trails with deep mud. Thankfully, we don't have that much deep/goopy mud here in Colorado. I LOVE water crossings and shallow mud though. Water crossings and Alpine views are my favorites.

nick50471 05-17-2012 01:30 PM

I destroyed a few trucks and one CJ7 running in the mud. My Wrangler will not see any mud only rocks and mall parking lots. :thumb:

The Korean 05-17-2012 01:41 PM

After spending $1250 in repairs (getting a discount and still needing a few more things) for my first mud outting I'm sticking to the rocks/trails (well unless there is mud before the rocks/trails). Don't get me wrong it was a blast at the time, but it's after the fun where I had a few facepalms. Oh and not to mention the underside is still a mess as well as the interior haha.

DeepSouthJeeper 05-17-2012 01:51 PM

Well I haven't had a chance to go wheeling yet (bought my jeep just over a month ago) but because as I live in Louisiana, I have a feeling I won't be seeing to many rocks.

WatchThis! 05-17-2012 01:56 PM

I started out slinging mud way before I had a drivers license. I had a lot of good times messed a few trucks up and got a small rush out of it. Now I try to go around the mud as much as I can. Its just not worth it to me, plus you just cant get the hands and feet shaking, sweating bullets (even though the A.C. is blowing full blast on your face) felling that you get when you are pushing yourself and your jeep to the limit when crawling. Im still at the point where Im still pushing myself more then I am pushing my jeep, its going to be expencive when I get to the point of being able to push the jeep all the way and not get a rush because Ill probly upgrade or build a buggy.:doh:

I wheel for the rush now and mud just dont cut it anymore.

JYJeep 05-17-2012 08:12 PM

Have to admit I like rocks having started in Socal. Heading bck to the east coast this summer and will likely encounter both. Guess I don't want the extra clean up and mud wouldn't be my first choice.

yrflu 05-17-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JYJeep (Post 2379101)
Have to admit I like rocks having started in Socal. Heading bck to the east coast this summer and will likely encounter both. Guess I don't want the extra clean up and mud wouldn't be my first choice.

Where on the east coast? RC offers a lot of mud, but mostly rocks. You can avoid the mud if you go slow.

cavediverjc 05-17-2012 09:45 PM

Rocks for me. Mud is boring. :thumb:

Mr. E 05-17-2012 10:27 PM

Here in Southern Indiana we mostly have mud but I try to avoid it when I'm on the trails. If its in the way Ill try to go around. Like most have mentioned the cleanup isn't worth it.

dhamilton83 05-17-2012 11:02 PM

Well I guess I am going to have to chime in on the mud side of things...I recently tried my hand at rocks and damaged a steering stabilizer and put those skid plates to the test...I think rocks are too unforgiving if u are new to it...I think it all depends on how your rig is set up. Plus I love to pull up to a store dripping on mud and seeing the envious faces of all those Z71 owners...I suppose I could take pictures of my jeep on rocks and show ppl but it is not the same lol

WellsR 05-18-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE (Post 2377750)
up here in new england we have muddy rocks and rocks with mud. no gitting away form it.

This

Yea mud can be annoying to clean and same, no matter how many times its washed every time I crawl under it I get mud cakes to the eye.

Mud has caused a few dollars of damage, while I have seen a quite few rocks in my stock yj. I like them both.

I think the mud is worth the clean up, even if annoying though

XJ Knight 05-18-2012 02:01 AM

Mud is the ultimate love hate relationship for any offroader.. So much fun yet so much of a pita. I ran mud bog comps with the XJ when it was stock. Jeep + Excellent Driver Skill = Trophies :D. Rocks are clean and fun and you have to be a good technical driver to be good at crawling them.. But they aren't very forgiving either.. When it comes to rocks ARMOR! ARMOR! ARMOR!

I no longer go looking for mud like when I was younger but am not affraid to take it on if need be on the trail.. I live in NYS.. Rocks don't exist here.. Let alone more then a handful of legal wheeling places.. and those that are in the state are just muddy trails in the woods.. Some private mud bog places that open up to the public a few times a year..

My favorite wheeling is snow wheeling.. but thats for another topic..

jkaufman_95 05-18-2012 02:12 AM

You dont have to wash rocks off after. That is all.

O_M_Jeep 05-18-2012 02:23 AM

Mud is sticky abrasive water, made to stick, eat its way in and start rusting.

Rocks Rawk lol

I don't even like dirty streets in the rain or mud on my sidewalls, dam near an H2 attitude lmao

cavediverjc 05-18-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 2380218)

My favorite wheeling is snow wheeling.. but thats for another topic..

I hear ya man. I love the snow...

Dextreme 05-18-2012 02:03 PM

Sand > mud or rocks. :thumb:

FuzzyJK 05-18-2012 02:16 PM

I would love to find some rocks but unless wharton state forest(south nj) grows some im stuck with mud and sandy swamp shit

Powderburn 05-18-2012 02:26 PM

I love the mud! I love the rocks! I haven't had any issues or repairs due to either yet so I guess im not doing it hard enough. I just fear getting stuck in the mud or breaking an axel on the rocks. Either way its why i got my jeep in the 1st place.