Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Suspension questions....help a newb out :) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/suspension-questions-help-a-newb-out-160983.html)

JeepsNbeaches 05-17-2012 11:45 PM

Suspension questions....help a newb out :)
 
Ok, so as my profile clearly points out I am a newb on this forum and on jeeps (hell, cars for that matter..07 wrangler is my first car) so please dont flame the living daylights out of me for this question I am just looking for some honest advice.

I have a 07 Wrangler X and I really want to start the mods on my car and am looking at suspension upgrades and have heard the teraflex name alot. If i want to hit the trails is a suspension/shock upgrade highly recommended, or is the stock ok for the time being in regards to tire clearance or any twisting/ crawling that goes on the trails? In addition I do not love the way super jacked up jeeps look so what is my best option. I am not in to anything to hardcore, not major rock crawling or advanced trails, but i definitely want something that is capable.

I hope this kind of makes sense, I would love to clarify anything I am just looking to gain some knowledge from some wise WF members. Thanks in advance.

:hide::hide::hide:

pluke the 2 05-18-2012 12:43 AM

You'll know why no has replied to this thread in the morning when you find dead kittens in the driveway.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2380194)
You'll know why no has replied to this thread in the morning when you find dead kittens in the driveway.

God i know, im sorry but the question had to be asked:redface:

pluke the 2 05-18-2012 01:02 AM

Everytime you call the Jeep a "Car" a kitten gets murdered.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2380220)
Everytime you call the Jeep a "Car" a kitten gets murdered.

RIG!!:bottom:RIG!!!!!!:bottom:.......well now that we have established my newb status, might you be able to help a poor fellow with lots of dead kittens out?

wrangler0 05-18-2012 01:43 AM

If you're not looking to do any serious rock crawling your stock Jeep is very capable to go offroad, and even handle some intermediate to low level advanced trails.

I'd suggest you go offroad with some experienced Jeepers to guide you and you'll learn what kind of upgrades you want/need.

I never thought I'd want a lift until my last trip off road.
I was taken on some trails that I'm still surprised my stock height Jeep was able to handle! Stock wheels/tires as well.
I scraped the crap out of the bottom of the Jeep but that's what the skid plates are there for and my Rugged Ridge side armor held up real well taking a beating over the many rocky trails I was on.

All that said, a very popular lift you'll see a lot on this forum is the Teraflex 2.5" lift.

I myself have yet to lift my Jeep as I can't make up my mind on what lift to get, it's pretty much down to TF and Full Traction as of now.

But to answer your question, is a suspension/shock upgrade necessary??
Not at all, but when/if you do it....it'll open up many more adventures for you and your Jeep! :)

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 2380244)
If you're not looking to do any serious rock crawling your stock Jeep is very capable to go offroad, and even handle some intermediate to low level advanced trails.

I'd suggest you go offroad with some experienced Jeepers to guide you and you'll learn what kind of upgrades you want/need.

I never thought I'd want a lift until my last trip off road.
I was taken on some trails that I'm still surprised my stock height Jeep was able to handle! Stock wheels/tires as well.
I scraped the crap out of the bottom of the Jeep but that's what the skid plates are there for and my Rugged Ridge side armor held up real well taking a beating over the many rocky trails I was on.

All that said, a very popular lift you'll see a lot on this forum is the Teraflex 2.5" lift.

I myself have yet to lift my Jeep as I can't make up my mind on what lift to get, it's pretty much down to TF and Full Traction as of now.

But to answer your question, is a suspension/shock upgrade necessary??
Not at all, but when/if you do it....it'll open up many more adventures for you and your Jeep! :)

Very helpful man, my Jeep and I thank you:thumb:. Do the stock Wranglers come with skid plates already? If so I did not know that, I keep reading posts where there never seems to be enough protection....

XJ Knight 05-18-2012 02:14 AM

Your's should have a gas tank and transfercase skid I believe.. Adding a engine/trans skid and rock sliders at some point will be of benifet. Not needed right away but futures mods to think about as armor is always good news..

Do you have any pics of your Jeep.. We like pics.. also WELCOME TO WF

3TimeOwner 05-18-2012 08:05 AM

jeep==car? hmmm.... MEEEEOOOWWWWW... I hate cats!

Now that we have had the live animal sacrifice, on to your question.

you will be absolutely fine in your stock vehicle. When Jeep introduced the TJ in 97, they had 10 stock vehicles run the rubicon trail in Tahoe. Rumor had it, they would not release until they were satisfied the vehicle could run the trail. Now, there are parts of that trail that you need the rock crawlers to run, but there are passes you can do if you don't mind a few dings. One of my wheeling partners was on camping on the trail when they came through. His comments were "they needed some paint, 1 needed a new door, another, well, an entire side would need to be replaced, but holy s**t, that vehicle is going to be incredible"

Point being, if you are new - you shouldn't do all the modding until you get some experience and understand what to do when you are over your head. Getting all jacked up will give you that false confidence that will get you in trouble. Like wrangler0 stated, you need to be with experienced off-roaders for a bit to understand some basics. You will be over your head quick enough and that will determine how far you want to go, what the collateral damage can be, and will guide you to invest wisely instead of just throwing good money away.

my 91 didn't have a single mod and I was offroading every weekend with every kind of rig you can imagine. I had to pick and choose my line/trails, but never had to get towed out because my rig wasn't capable. It all comes down to knowing your limits and living within them.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ Knight (Post 2380261)
Your's should have a gas tank and transfercase skid I believe.. Adding a engine/trans skid and rock sliders at some point will be of benifet. Not needed right away but futures mods to think about as armor is always good news..

Do you have any pics of your Jeep.. We like pics.. also WELCOME TO WF


Quote:

Originally Posted by 3TimeOwner (Post 2380657)
jeep==car? hmmm.... MEEEEOOOWWWWW... I hate cats!

Now that we have had the live animal sacrifice, on to your question.....


Very helpful both of you guys THANK you very much:thumb:

I have some pics of my old rig but ill try and snap a few today for you guys.

pluke the 2 05-18-2012 09:11 AM

i agree with the above poster.

use your jeep and appreciate what it does stock. learn where your skid plates are.

learn to disconnect those sway bar links manually everytime you go some where.

give it a year or so before we pull the credit cards out

mattjopete 05-18-2012 09:24 AM

Not to hijack the thread but it is somewhat related.
How well will a stock JK, (non Rubicon) handle the Rubicon trail?

pluke the 2 05-18-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjopete (Post 2380875)
Not to hijack the thread but it is somewhat related.
How well will a stock JK, (non Rubicon) handle the Rubicon trail?

I've seen stock non rubicon get through the trail with a lot of help.

3TimeOwner 05-18-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjopete (Post 2380875)
Not to hijack the thread but it is somewhat related.
How well will a stock JK, (non Rubicon) handle the Rubicon trail?

all depends on the line you take, and how much you value your current paint job. Also - who you are with, whether they/you have recovery gear, and if you don't mind the sound of scratching metal on rocks.

Oh ya - and the condition of the trail. I have been up there when we have had to "repair" the trail after spring run off prior to being able to proceed. Ever had to use a winch to move boulders... makes for interesting uses of recovery straps.

In general, except for 2-3 areas way down the trail, you will be fine. Just be sure to go it slow and have at least 2 spotters. The granite can be slick, and trees do as much damage as rocks

Think of this sound SQQQQRRREEEECCCHHHHHHHH and don't get out and look until you camp. :whistling:

ZombieClownZ 05-18-2012 11:45 AM

JeepsNBeaches I feel your pain. I have always loved 4x4ing, but have always been a passenger. I'm finally now in a place in my life that I can start to afford some of the toys I want, but still can't get too crazy.

So two weeks ago I bought a 2012 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Just driving it around town it's the best ca.......errr vehicle that I have ever driven. I can't wait to mod out my rig.

Problem is I'm a mechanic nub and a trail nub. I have a mild interest in knowing the mechanics so I can try to do most of the mods myself. However, even putting on a lift kit I fear would be out of my means.

More importantly, I want to find a group to hit some trails with that wouldn't mind a total rookie with a stock rig at the moment. So if anyone in SoCal, Los Angeles area is out and about and doesn't mind a noob, hit me up please. I would love to run with ya.

pluke the 2 05-18-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieClownZ (Post 2381250)
JeepsNBeaches I feel your pain. I have always loved 4x4ing, but have always been a passenger. I'm finally now in a place in my life that I can start to afford some of the toys I want, but still can't get too crazy.

So two weeks ago I bought a 2012 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Just driving it around town it's the best ca.......errr vehicle that I have ever driven. I can't wait to mod out my rig.

Problem is I'm a mechanic nub and a trail nub. I have a mild interest in knowing the mechanics so I can try to do most of the mods myself. However, even putting on a lift kit I fear would be out of my means.

More importantly, I want to find a group to hit some trails with that wouldn't mind a total rookie with a stock rig at the moment. So if anyone in SoCal, Los Angeles area is out and about and doesn't mind a noob, hit me up please. I would love to run with ya.

Take a look at our local socal section and make sure you sign up for the meet n greets coming up!

July M n G in Big Bear, CA

Test your rig out on all the trails from easy to hardcore.

InfernoGirl 05-18-2012 02:42 PM

:confused: Your profile pic is a TJ...........

Welcome to the forum, drive it stock, you'll find out what you need and don't need in good time. A stock Jeep is more than capable for what most drivers demand of them... ;)

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2380842)

learn to disconnect those sway bar links manually everytime you go some where.

UH OH...... oh no.... here comes another newb question:hide:

Do i need to disconnect the sway bar links every time I get on the trails, or is it just good to get in the habit for if i get a suspension upgrade. If so, where can I find instructions on how to do this. I know I know its a beginner question but you really are helping me out a ton and saving me from mistakes and i thank you much.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieClownZ (Post 2381250)

More importantly, I want to find a group to hit some trails with that wouldn't mind a total rookie with a stock rig at the moment. So if anyone in SoCal, Los Angeles area is out and about and doesn't mind a noob, hit me up please. I would love to run with ya.

Me too man, I live down in SoCal and am dying to get out and ride around. Eveyone's advice is go with someone with experience but living in a wealthy-middle class neighborhood in Del Mar, there are sadly not many Yeepers down here. I would love to tag along maybe with someone willing to handle my rookie skills and relatively easy trails.

wrangler0 05-18-2012 03:20 PM

You do not have to disconnect the sway bars when you go off road, if you do it just gives the axles for flex, so they stay in contact with the ground which in turn will allow you to traverse over terrain more easily.....

I've seen people disconnect them on trails that barely had anything a Jeep couldnt handle in 2WD but I think it's only really necessary if you plan to go over rocks and terrain where your wheels could be leaving the ground often....

The experts will chime in if I'm incorrect on any of the above info....

Just google how to disconnect sway bar and you'll find plenty of info.
Here's a thread on here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dis...lly-85658.html

Good luck and have fun! :)

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 2381715)
:confused: Your profile pic is a TJ...........

Welcome to the forum, drive it stock, you'll find out what you need and don't need in good time. A stock Jeep is more than capable for what most drivers demand of them... ;)

Yes it is...well was. I might have said this earlier I dunno, but I had a 01 TJ Sahara until sadly it was stolen and never found so with the insurance money i got back and some I had saved up I went out and bought me a 07 JK X in which have installed powerlocks, lowjack, and a alarm system. NO ONE is taking this one from me.

wrangler0 05-18-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepsNbeaches (Post 2381812)
Me too man, I live down in SoCal and am dying to get out and ride around. Eveyone's advice is go with someone with experience but living in a wealthy-middle class neighborhood in Del Mar, there are sadly not many Yeepers down here. I would love to tag along maybe with someone willing to handle my rookie skills and relatively easy trails.

Are there any off road parks in SoCal? Or desert excursions planned by Jeep clubs?

Look into that....

I did a guided 101 & 102 offroad trip at a place out in PA and learned so much valuable info, everything from how to handle driving over/through different terrain to recovery....

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 2381814)

Good luck and have fun! :)

Thank you so much ha this actually makes me feel alot better and knowledgeable. I just want to learn my stuff as not to go out and f*** up my rig over something so basic.:thumb:

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 2381821)
Are there any off road parks in SoCal? Or desert excursions planned by Jeep clubs?

Look into that....

I do need to look into this a little more, Ive found a few trails here and there but not much. I feel like the best way to learn is through experience and Im dying to go. Oh and I am only 17 so I wonder if anyone would be willing for a kid to tag along too......:angel:

But I will look into some more and see what I find.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 03:38 PM

Southern California Fun Places

@ZombieClownZ heard of any of these?

XJ Knight 05-18-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 2381821)
Are there any off road parks in SoCal? Or desert excursions planned by Jeep clubs?

Look into that....

I did a guided 101 & 102 offroad trip at a place out in PA and learned so much valuable info, everything from how to handle driving over/through different terrain to recovery....

There are good options in So Cal for wheeling including some very popular places known by manny outside of So Cal.. Wonder this section to help learn more about what might be going on in your area California Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum as in this seems big, although I don't know much about what wheeling is going on with it http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/7th...nt-158562.html

Also use google to research your local clubs.. Get involved.. That is the best way to learn where your legal trails are and where you need to avoid

ZombieClownZ 05-18-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepsNbeaches (Post 2381857)


Some of them are familiar only from these forums. However, Mt. Baldy and the Tujunga ones are pretty close to where I live, which is in the Los Angeles area.

You live down by San Diego right? If so, im sure there has to be something going on in Carlsbad, and isn't Glammus down there? Glammus is all sand, but I hear it's a lot of fun.

In the California sub forum, there was another new Jeeper named CritterT. Maybe we should all look for a local club that does runs all over SoCal. I mean SD is only 2 hours away, it wouldn't be the end of the world to head down to the happiest city on earth.


The previously mentioned Turdhurdler event sounds like a blast, but I have plans that weekend I believe. Otherwise, campiing and trail riding all in one weekend would just be awesome. Not to mention getting a chance to check out some of the more decked out rigs would pretty much just be a little slice of happiness.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieClownZ (Post 2381914)
Some of them are familiar only from these forums. However, Mt. Baldy and the Tujunga ones are pretty close to where I live, which is in the Los Angeles area.

You live down by San Diego right? If so, im sure there has to be something going on in Carlsbad, and isn't Glammus down there? Glammus is all sand, but I hear it's a lot of fun.

In the California sub forum, there was another new Jeeper named CritterT. Maybe we should all look for a local club that does runs all over SoCal. I mean SD is only 2 hours away, it wouldn't be the end of the world to head down to the happiest city on earth.


The previously mentioned Turdhurdler event sounds like a blast, but I have plans that weekend I believe. Otherwise, campiing and trail riding all in one weekend would just be awesome. Not to mention getting a chance to check out some of the more decked out rigs would pretty much just be a little slice of happiness.

:rofl2: happiest city...Ha with this kind of weather we are getting though I am sure blessed to be living here :dance:. Well im sure driving would be required by all of us if there is a club we find, especially to the excursions but getting involved would be awesome

ZombieClownZ 05-18-2012 04:43 PM

@JNB

From the link you posted, I have had one person tell me Jawbone, which is just north of Mojave is a lot of fun, and stock jeeps should be able to handle most of it with no issues.

Problem is that's 2 hours north of me, so closer to 4 or 5 for depending on how bad traffic is from SD to LA.

I wold have to look up the rest of those trails to see if any of those are face roll easy mode. I think 3 new Jeepers could do easy stuff together, but anything more and I would want to be in a group with more experienced riders.

JeepsNbeaches 05-18-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieClownZ (Post 2382024)
@JNB

I think 3 new Jeepers could do easy stuff together, but anything more and I would want to be in a group with more experienced riders.

Very true, and someone with a winch..........


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.