Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Chrome Grill (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/chrome-grill-161099.html)

tcrawford 05-18-2012 04:44 PM

Chrome Grill
 
I'm fed up with the look of the chrome grill overlay on the front of my LJ. I am not an experienced painter but I am thinking about taking it off and Bed lining it. Should I just take it to get line-xd or do it myself with a rattle can? How difficult of task is it to rhino line a chrome grill?

If I take it off and the regular grill is not scuffed up I may just leave it off. Any body in the market for a chrome grill overlay?:whistling:

mrpowerz13 05-18-2012 05:14 PM

Painting it is easy. It's 99% prep. The more time you put into cleaning, sanding, prepping, priming, etc... The longer your hard work will last. As for paint itself, rattle can it with whatever color you want as along as it's a good name brand paint from the Depot, Lowes, or any auto parts store. Rustolium truck bed liner is my paint of choice.

DarthLEGO 05-18-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrawford (Post 2382026)
I'm fed up with the look of the chrome grill overlay on the front of my LJ. I am not an experienced painter but I am thinking about taking it off and Bed lining it. Should I just take it to get line-xd or do it myself with a rattle can? How difficult of task is it to rhino line a chrome grill?

If I take it off and the regular grill is not scuffed up I may just leave it off. Any body in the market for a chrome grill overlay?:whistling:


Great question! I was wondering the same myself. I just got a my LJ used and I am dumping any chrome in favor of black on black.

The downside was my stock grill has rust all over it from the overlay. So I have to paint over something one way or the other.

tcrawford 05-18-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthLEGO

Great question! I was wondering the same myself. I just got a my LJ used and I am dumping any chrome in favor of black on black.

The downside was my stock grill has rust all over it from the overlay. So I have to paint over something one way or the other.

Yeah, I also have Chrome wheels, looking to switch those out for mostly black wheels, haven't found any rim yet that I love. Also wanting to go to the black side markers and turn signals. I have an aluminum plated rocker guard that kind of has the Chrome look to it. But I actually kind of like it because I think I've seen just one other jeep with it.

JYJeep 05-18-2012 06:41 PM

I have a '05 LJ with the chrome grill. Watching to see how others handle this. I'm tired of blinding people when the sun hits the thing.

Blackpony04 05-18-2012 06:46 PM

Scotch-brite pad to scuff it all, wipe it down with mineral spirits, and spray away. Rustoleum bedliner sticks to just about anything and looks awesome.

TJspeed 05-18-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrawford
I'm fed up with the look of the chrome grill overlay on the front of my LJ. I am not an experienced painter but I am thinking about taking it off and Bed lining it. Should I just take it to get line-xd or do it myself with a rattle can? How difficult of task is it to rhino line a chrome grill?

If I take it off and the regular grill is not scuffed up I may just leave it off. Any body in the market for a chrome grill overlay?:whistling:

Just take the whole Jeep to line-x and let them do the work. Its gonna be any cheaper if you take the grill in yourself plus taking it off is a pain

tcrawford 05-18-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04
Scotch-brite pad to scuff it all, wipe it down with mineral spirits, and spray away. Rustoleum bedliner sticks to just about anything and looks awesome.

Is it really that simple?

And I've heard its not to much of a pain getting the Chrome overlay off? Does anybody have any experience with that?

mrpowerz13 05-18-2012 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3M makes a good spray adhesive removed. If you're not careful it'll start taking paint off. So I have to assume it's a good start. Acetone also will strip anything.

Attachment 124012

DarthLEGO 05-19-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrawford

Is it really that simple?

And I've heard its not to much of a pain getting the Chrome overlay off? Does anybody have any experience with that?

If it is the OEM overlay, it is a piece of cake. Mine just has 2 plastic plugs on top and you have to remove the headlight bezels. Pops right off.

tcrawford 05-19-2012 02:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthLEGO

If it is the OEM overlay, it is a piece of cake. Mine just has 2 plastic plugs on top and you have to remove the headlight bezels. Pops right off.

You sir are correct. No rust but have some rub marks from the overlay that are bugging me so I might bed line the grill overlay anyway and see how it looks.

Attachment 124145



Attachment 124146



Attachment 124147



Need to paint the bezels also...

tcrawford 05-19-2012 02:06 PM

haha dont know how a picture of my dog acting like a weirdo got in there:doh:

bucsman76 07-07-2012 03:12 AM

I'm looking for a chrome overlay if this is still available.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.