Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stubby Bumper Mod and Air Dam Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stubby-bumper-mod-and-air-dam-question-162280.html)

karencz 05-24-2012 11:16 AM

Stubby Bumper Mod and Air Dam Question

Want to do the stubby bumper mod to my stock bumper (cut and add end caps). What kind of saw will I need? I don't have much in the way of tools....a hack saw....but not sure what will work best, I read that there is a metal part under the plastic, is that the case?

Also, I hate the look of the plastic air dam under the front bumper. Mine hangs crooked! Can I just remove it and be done, or do I need to replace it with something else? Anyone removed it and experienced any problems?

As always, advice is appreciated!

Renaissance_Redneck 05-24-2012 11:19 AM

I used a cordless reciprocating saw with hacksaw-like blades to chop the bumper. I took the air dam off completely; no problems. There are metal replacements (some companies call them "skids", but they aren't much of a skid) if you want to put something there; but you don't need to.

EDIT: Oh, and yes there is metal under the plastic bumper. I guess you could use a hacksaw to cut it, but expect it to take weeks! Get, or borrow, a reciprocating saw.

ESP 05-24-2012 11:20 AM

Here ya go.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rou...on-106014.html

Cleric73 05-24-2012 11:21 AM

I got these and this video is pretty good. Haven't done the work yet, waiting on friends garage and tools. Looks like a good elec saw will do the trick. You have to cut some metal and possibly grind down the rough edges.

Jeep Accessories - JK Bumper Caps

pluke the 2 05-24-2012 11:28 AM

we used a grinder because we actually wanted it to be a real stubby...

if you go really short you will be have to grind through metal.

there's no point in doing this for looks, normally those who are doing it use it for functionality. When you go through obstacles and rocks or tight corners you'll be much happier you don't have these boat anchors sitting out there.

pluke the 2 05-24-2012 11:38 AM

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...the3/37s/6.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...3/CIMG5278.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...e3/37s/5-2.jpg

karencz 05-24-2012 11:52 AM

AWESOME! You guys and gals are great! Looks easy enough and I'm hoping my neighbor has the saw I can borrow so I don't have to buy one. I'm going to order today....pics to follow!

Daniel_M 05-24-2012 12:09 PM

Sawzall with metal cutting blades. Yes remove the dumb plastic air dam

-Dan

Jervboy 05-24-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2400465)
we used a grinder because we actually wanted it to be a real stubby...

if you go really short you will be have to grind through metal.

there's no point in doing this for looks, normally those who are doing it use it for functionality. When you go through obstacles and rocks or tight corners you'll be much happier you don't have these boat anchors sitting out there.

Pluke, no point in doing this for looks????
I certainly realize the clearance issue and functionality with off road use but come on, that long ended bumper looks a little dumb dont you think? The bumper looks shit loads better cut down. Even if you don't go off road I would cut it down just for the fact that it looks better and you can see the tires looking at it from the front.

pluke the 2 05-24-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jervboy (Post 2400605)
I certainly realize the clearance issue and functionality with off road use but come on, that long ended bumper looks a little dumb dont you think? The bumper looks shit loads better cut down. Even if you don't go off road I would cut it down just for the fact that it looks better and you can see the tires looking at it from the front.

That's your opinion.

I would agree if both the front bumper was cut and the stock fenders lined up to match it equally.

Stubby front bumper is beyond hideous if you have stock fenders which stick out like a sore thumb.

Daniel_M 05-24-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jervboy (Post 2400605)

According to some and probably most guys in this thread but I think you will find $hit tons <--technical term, of people that like the OE bumper. They would probably find our cut bumpers ugly, utilitarian looking and just a cheap cut and rivet job. However, we know the truth that them yuppies don't. :D

-Dan

pluke the 2 05-24-2012 12:18 PM

Sorry if this is someone's Jeep.

Hideous:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...the3/hidio.jpg

100% better IMO.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_0270.jpg

kjeeper10 05-24-2012 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2

That's your opinion.

I would agree if both the front bumper was cut and the stock fenders lined up to match it equally.

Stubby front bumper is beyond hideous if you have stock fenders which stick out like a sore thumb.

With smaller tires I agree :)

I bought the bumper used with the caps $100 Added the hoop after $200 If I were to do again, I would have just bought a new bumper :doh:

Jervboy 05-24-2012 12:32 PM

All right here we go, lets take the next step here shall we. I am a current and former Motorcycle "Chopper" and I know this is only opinion but what does everybody consider to be the definition of Modifying? I realize everyone does stuff to their rigs for different reasons but in my mind modifying and customizing are two different things. I know they could be considered to be the same but hear me out. Modifying to me is changing the existing equipment. It is really easy to just go out and buy a new bumper, less easy to modify the one you have to make it work the way you want. For instance I would llove to go out and buy new Bushwackers but I would get more personal satisfaction out of cutting my existing fenders down to flares, Isn't that modifying. When you customize a bike you generally add too.. when you chop it you CHOP it! I know this is another opinion thing but...
I like the bumper cut down and the only reason I didnt chop mine all the way down is I didn't want to lose the mounts for the exterior plastic shell.

Jervboy 05-24-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2400623)

I do agree the fenders look better chopped down with the stubby bumper and that is why I plan to do just that.

BlackOpsJeep 05-24-2012 02:35 PM

Love my stubby mod!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...i/DSCF6124.jpg

Up Hill Bill 05-24-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2400623)

Tread not covered by fenders: not street legal. Also, not safe for others on the road with you (thats why it's illegal.)

Fine for dedicated off-road, not cool for on-road!

Sorry. Facts are stubborn things.

MTH 05-24-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2401041)
Tread not covered by fenders: not street legal.

Actually, that varies state-to-state as far as I know.

Jervboy 05-24-2012 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2401056)
Actually, that varies state-to-state as far as I know.

OK then. But what do you think of the stubby bumper?
I like mine very much!

Pattynole 05-24-2012 03:16 PM

I was going to do the simple stubby mod on my stock bumper and I called my insurance carrier (USAA) just to see and they said that it could directly impact not only what they may cover to my car, but what they may cover to any other car I may hit. Given that I'm not a frequent off-roader, I decided not to go through with the mod.

MTH 05-24-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattynole (Post 2401133)
I was going to do the simple stubby mod on my stock bumper and I called my insurance carrier (USAA) just to see and they said that it could directly impact not only what they may cover to my car, but what they may cover to any other car I may hit. Given that I'm not a frequent off-roader, I decided not to go through with the mod.

BS.

It's true that unless you make separate arrangements with your insurance company, they generally won't cover the cost of mods--e.g., you put on a $1000 AEV bumper and total your jeep, they are only going to pay for what your jeep would've been worth in its stock condition. If you want that fancy $1000 bumper or your gold plated shift knob to be insured, you've got to call and add a few bucks to your monthly premium.

However, there's no way they can deny coverage to another driver on that basis. The point of insurance is to cover you for stupid stuff. Whether you're driving drunk, never did proper maintenance, rotated your own tires and didn't tighten the lugs, fell asleep at the wheel, etc., you're covered. That's what insurance means.

You ever see a car on the road that's had its bumper torn off but not replaced? Do you really think their insurance company (presuming they have one) will be able to refuse to cover you if that person crashes into you? I can't believe there's a state in the union that would allow for a policy that permits the insurer to deny coverage in this way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jervboy (Post 2401084)
OK then. But what do you think of the stubby bumper?
I like mine very much!

Yep, I dig mine. Even with stock flares.

pluke the 2 05-24-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2400630)
With smaller tires I agree :)

I bought the bumper used with the caps $100 Added the hoop after $200 If I were to do again, I would have just bought a new bumper :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2401134)
Yep, I dig mine. Even with stock flares.

you guys have good looking jeeps. and actually, the front bumpers with stock fenders don't look "hideous".

Daniel_M 05-24-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2401041)
Tread not covered by fenders: not street legal. Also, not safe for others on the road with you (thats why it's illegal.)

Fine for dedicated off-road, not cool for on-road!

Sorry. Facts are stubborn things.

Not illegal in my state

-Dan

kjeeper10 05-24-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M

Not illegal in my state

-Dan

Ditto

Up Hill Bill 05-24-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2401156)
Not illegal in my state

-Dan

Your and MHT are right, of course. I should have said not street legal in about half the states....

Still creates unsafe conditions for those around you, especially in the rain, where your rooster-tails of spray can totally blind vehicles behind you. I've been there, no fun!

Cleric73 05-24-2012 04:14 PM

KJeeper and MTH's rigs look great. I'll be doing the same mod. KJ I think you got good value for $300 (your own labor). A really nice stubby and hoop could easily run you $450 and up. The 35's help with the aggressive look of course...but MTH looks bad a$$ too with the 33's.

I'm wondering though...if you chop the flares if the 33's still look reasonable?

MTH 05-24-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleric73

I'm wondering though...if you chop the flares if the 33's still look reasonable?

Only if you don't have a lift, IMO. For 33s, it's a lift OR fender chop, not both.

Daniel_M 05-24-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2401220)
Your and MHT are right, of course. I should have said not street legal in about half the states....

Still creates unsafe conditions for those around you, especially in the rain, where your rooster-tails of spray can totally blind vehicles behind you. I've been there, no fun!

It doesn't rain in my state either..:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleric73 (Post 2401377)
KJeeper and MTH's rigs look great. I'll be doing the same mod. KJ I think you got good value for $300 (your own labor). A really nice stubby and hoop could easily run you $450 and up. The 35's help with the aggressive look of course...but MTH looks bad a$$ too with the 33's.

Do you have a lift? If not it will look good. Even with a leveling or budget boost should look fine.

-Dan

kjeeper10 05-24-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M

It doesn't rain in my state either..:rofl:

Do you have a lift? If not it will look good. Even with a leveling or budget boost should look fine.

-Dan

I agree

Cleric73 05-24-2012 04:32 PM

Yeah I read that thread earlier today. Chop + no lift vs Chop + Lift. Totally agree. I was going to do the leveling kit anyway....so that was sort of defacto on my mind.

I like yalls set ups. I just need an f'n garage and some tools.

OH and .... Sorry OP - HIJACKed. Back on track....stubby bumper cap mod is easy to do.