Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sunrider top is PITA (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sunrider-top-is-pita-162808.html)

huntsf 05-27-2012 09:10 AM

Sunrider top is PITA

Just got my 2012 Sahara last weekend and find the sunrider portion of the roof (opens over front section) to be quite painful to close. Found that it requires undoing the sail panels and sides. Too bad it just cannot close as it opens over the cockpit. Perhaps I am missing something? Any input is appreciated!

Wharfrat 05-27-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsf
Just got my 2012 Sahara last weekend and find the sunrider portion of the roof (opens over front section) to be quite painful to close. Found that it requires undoing the sail panels and sides. Too bad it just cannot close as it opens over the cockpit. Perhaps I am missing something? Any input is appreciated!

It will stretch. Give it some time in the sun. Like 1-2 weeks worth.

huntsf 05-27-2012 09:15 AM

So over time no need to release sails etc.?

JKGirl 05-27-2012 09:17 AM

You shouldn't have to do all of that just to close the sunrider. I had mine open yesterday and it's literally as simple as flipping it back and closing it when done. Will it not latch if you don't remove the panels?

huntsf 05-27-2012 09:20 AM

I have no problem opening it. Closing it w/o undoing the sail and side panels is the problem

wassup8687 05-27-2012 09:23 AM

Mine opens and closes easily. The thing I would like improved is the way the top sits while the Sunrider top is open. It falls on the heads of the passengers in the back.

huntsf 05-27-2012 09:26 AM

Because it is new, when I close it there is about an inch gap from the front of the top to the front latches. So have to undo rear of whole top to allow it to get fitted.

JKGirl 05-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsf (Post 2408674)
I have no problem opening it. Closing it w/o undoing the sail and side panels is the problem

Sorry - corrected my post.

Like Wharfrat said, give it time. You shouldn't have to undo anything to close the sunrider. It does give more in the hot sun, so maybe it just needs to stretch a little.

huntsf 05-27-2012 09:35 AM

Thanks all....will put it out today in the sun and 95 degree weather today.

Weed Hopper 05-27-2012 09:44 AM

If you are releasing the latches above the doors you are doing it wrong. When using the sunrider feature just release the windshield latches, pull the plastic sleeves to the front and fold the top back into a "W" configuration. Never release the latches above the doors when using the sunrider or you will have to release the sail panels to get it to latch to the windshield.

wassup8687 05-27-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntsf (Post 2408687)
Because it is new, when I close it there is about an inch gap from the front of the top to the front latches. So have to undo rear of whole top to allow it to get fitted.

Easy fix for that.

Take a close look at the latches. They open up and expand about 2 inches further which allows you to hook and latch closed.

krutj 05-27-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weed Hopper (Post 2408755)
If you are releasing the latches above the doors you are doing it wrong. When using the sunrider feature just release the windshield latches, pull the plastic sleeves to the front and fold the top back into a "W" configuration. Never release the latches above the doors when using the sunrider or you will have to release the sail panels to get it to latch to the windshield.

Many new owners make this mistake......and also unzip the rear window or you will drive down the road with a big air scoop, almost like having your brakes on.........

lcarbrey 05-31-2012 02:28 PM

Have any of you had issues with the top popping out of the windshield header track every time you open it (sunroof or all the way)?

Lisa

MikeK46 05-31-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKGirl (Post 2408667)
You shouldn't have to do all of that just to close the sunrider. I had mine open yesterday and it's literally as simple as flipping it back and closing it when done. Will it not latch if you don't remove the panels?

X2 and I've only had the soft top on for a month on a brand new Sahara.

With the side latches above the doors clicked in, the Sunrider piece goes on and off easily...10 seconds to open it, 10 seconds to close it at most.

woodyaks 05-31-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarbrey (Post 2422815)
Have any of you had issues with the top popping out of the windshield header track every time you open it (sunroof or all the way)?

Lisa

Yes, I did. I found that the plastic screw things that attach the latch to the frame wouldn't crank down tightly enough, leaving some play with the plastic track. I had to add a couple of layers of packing tape to the frame where the screws went in. After that I was able to crank them down and it no longer pops out anymore.

Riccochet 05-31-2012 03:06 PM

Mine was the same as OP's when I first started using the sunrider portion. I did not undo the latches above the doors, but for some reason it wouldn't come forward enough for the front latches to reach the loops. Had to have someone push forward on the rear bar above the back window in order for me to get the latches hooked. Now that it's been used a bunch and has sat in the sun to stretch it works normally.

JB71 05-31-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weed Hopper (Post 2408755)

This^^

There is a good possibility that one or both of the door frame pins are not latched and this is what is causing the difficulty with the front header latches.

Remove the rear and side windows and unclip the rear sail panels from their channels. This will free up the entire top so you can re-position it. Now pull the entire top forward one side at a time until you hear the pins lock into place on the door frame latches.

When you open the door you will see the little lever that you press to unlatch the pins in order to put the entire top down. The top should lock into these pins, this will allow you to open the sunrider without the entire top slipping backwards and thus making it almost impossible to re-latch it at the winsdhield header. With those pins latched in place the top doesn't move and the header latches line up perfect every time.

Harddrive 05-31-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 2408788)
Many new owners make this mistake......and also unzip the rear window or you will drive down the road with a big air scoop, almost like having your brakes on.........

I do not believe this is true. When my sunrider top is open, the side panels get sucked into the soft top frame because the outside air rushing by reduces the air pressure inside the cabin. The same happens when I roll down a window. As a result, I do not believe having the sunrider open creates any significant additional drag, and certainly none that opening the rear window would reduce.

Weed Hopper 05-31-2012 08:10 PM

^
It is recommended in the owners manual to remove the rear window if going above 40 mph with the sunrider open.

Barrie 05-31-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harddrive (Post 2423018)
I do not believe this is true. When my sunrider top is open, the side panels get sucked into the soft top frame because the outside air rushing by reduces the air pressure inside the cabin. The same happens when I roll down a window. As a result, I do not believe having the sunrider open creates any significant additional drag, and certainly none that opening the rear window would reduce.

I have popped my back window tailgate bar out because I didn't lower the back window.

MikeK46 06-01-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weed Hopper (Post 2423880)
^
It is recommended in the owners manual to remove the rear window if going above 40 mph with the sunrider open.

I'm confused on how that's supposed to make sense.

It's perfectly OK to drive with all the windows rolled down (hardtop and softtop). It's perfectly OK to drive with the freedom panels off & windows down (hardtop). Yet, if and only if the Sunrider top is open, then the rear window should be removed? :confused::confused:

Con Artist 06-01-2012 01:16 AM

Haven't used my softtop yet. I just got a Harken Hoister I need to install, and then I'll attempt to install my softtop. I'm sure it'll be quite an...adventure. :nonono:

Scarlet Begonia 06-01-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

^

Oooops, didn't see that. I've had the sunrider open for days without removing the rear window.

So, why? Is it for drag? Will something happen to the back window?

cheap4tw 06-01-2012 08:08 AM

If I am hitting the highway I remove the rear window. If I am just doing a quick jog on the side streets I don't bother.

No issues yet.

Harddrive 06-01-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

^

You are correct, interesting that I never noticed that before. But like Mike mentioned, the same effect of the side panels being sucked into the soft top frame bars occurs when one opens the window with the sunrider closed.

cavsvet74 06-01-2012 03:32 PM

A common mistake is not opening the header latches all the way. The should be open to about 180deg.

jmead1 07-22-2012 03:59 PM

me too

We just finished installing the sunrider top and are having this issue with the top coming out of the windshield header. Have you found a solution?

gr8fulKID 07-22-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74 (Post 2426805)
A common mistake is not opening the header latches all the way. The should be open to about 180deg.

This for sure. Make sure to spread both parts of those header latches out so you can get the most forward movement from them.

WXman 07-23-2012 07:19 AM

On my '12, the top closes easily. The problem was opening it the first time. The front corners where the weatherstripping is stuck to the soft top like glue. I had to push HARD to get the sunrider part to raise upward, and when I finally did, it took a bunch of the grey weatherstripping with it. UGH.. had to try and piece that back together and pray for no leaks. What a PITA.

mgola27 07-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup8687 (Post 2408680)
Mine opens and closes easily. The thing I would like improved is the way the top sits while the Sunrider top is open. It falls on the heads of the passengers in the back.

Many (me included) make this mistake when folding the top back.

If you reverse the folds so your are folding the material to the back instead of the front, the excess material will sit on the top and not hang in the passenger's heads.

It's kind of opposite of the way the top "wants" to fold, but when you do it, you'll see the difference.

This will also make folding the top down all the way much neater/easier, as the material won't bunch against the roll bar.

If you watch this video, you'll see the difference. When they are folding the top back, they make the folds to the rear of the Jeep.

How to use your Jeep Wrangler Soft Top