Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dead Jeep, Dead Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dead-jeep-dead-jeep-163203.html)

GonzoBobH 05-29-2012 10:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's Tuesday morning and I am sitting in the parts dept waiting for a shuttle to take me to work. While driving in to work my jeep lit up like an xmas tree, died in an intersection and would not turn over. After 3 our 4 long minutes, it started but no gauges worked and every light was lit. I drove it to the nearest dealership where it wouldn't start again. I just watched it get pushed into the shop. Background: About 3 weeks old, 984 miles, manual JKU, no mods beyond some rigid dually's on the A pillar. sigh... When I had gone to sign for my Jeep the CPU went bad and I had to wait a week for a new one to come in. sigh...

kfdjason7620 05-29-2012 10:36 AM

That sucks

GonzoBobH 05-29-2012 10:39 AM

Sorry for the double pic, but the"attachments" kept crashing on the phone, haha, even my phone isn't working correctly.

kfdjason7620 05-29-2012 10:47 AM

I hate days like that

JIMBOX 05-29-2012 10:55 AM

:whistling: Thats a shame-

The old 4-hoof drives never hadda elex failure-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

MTH 05-29-2012 10:55 AM

Not trying to start a flame fest, but does it seem to anyone else that an inordinate number of 2012s are having problems?

I understand folks who don't have a problem don't post, and I understand that tens of thousands of 2012s are on the roads and we plainly aren't seeing tens of thousands of problem threads, but still . . . I don't recall there being this many threads about 2010 or 2011 problems when those years were new.

I mean there were problem threads every year obviously, but this seems . . . like a lot. I dunno. Just strange.

Sorry Bob. Hopefully this will be the last issue . . . though you're in prime mileage to start developing a "tick" too. :banghead:

GonzoBobH 05-29-2012 10:56 AM

My thoughts this morning beyond wondering if this shuttle service is going to bring me back and what is going to happen if the vehicle is down for a week... is what am I going to do if out is the CPU again...

Jeeperz Creeperz 05-29-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 2413982)
My thoughts this morning beyond wondering if this shuttle service is going to bring me back and what is going to happen if the vehicle is down for a week... is what am I going to do if out is the CPU again...

With it only being 3 weeks old and less than 1,000 miles, contact your sales rep., tell them how dissatisfied you are and ask for a rental or loaner car. Make them aware this is the 2nd problem and you are concerned you may have to use the lemon law and contact Chrysler.

Good luck and keep us posted

PS I had a 99 Chrysler 300m that was plauged with electrical problems. My advice would be to allow them to fix once more and then push for a replacement if another electrical problem arises.

You should contact Chrysler (phone # in owner's book) to get a case going.

Jeeperz Creeperz 05-29-2012 11:05 AM

Also there is a thread where the guy's jeep lasted only 80 miles and the CPU went out. The dealer replaced it and more problems happened. That dealer replaced the Jeep with another with the same features from another dealership. Do a search for my jeep lasted 80 miles for the thread.

Daniel_M 05-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2413979)
Not trying to start a flame fest, but does it seem to anyone else that an inordinate number of 2012s are having problems?

I understand folks who don't have a problem don't post, and I understand that tens of thousands of 2012s are on the roads and we plainly aren't seeing tens of thousands of problem threads, but still . . . I don't recall there being this many threads about 2010 or 2011 problems when those years were new.

I mean there were problem threads every year obviously, but this seems . . . like a lot. I dunno. Just strange.

Sorry Bob. Hopefully this will be the last issue . . . though you're in prime mileage to start developing a "tick" too. :banghead:

I have the same thoughts, Mike. Myabe it's first run issues with the 3.6L Pentastar, granted it isn't a new engine but it is new for the Wrangler platform. There are a ton of issues though, ticking seems to be rampant but they are having other issues. It doesn't seem to be a consistenly similar issue everyone is having, which is frightening.

That sucks though Bob, if your Jeep, brand new, had ECU/CPU issues and they got a new one, it could be that again. Sounds like the culprit, so this may be isolated.

-Dan

-Dan

ESP 05-29-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2413979)

x2 Does seem to be a lot going on right now with jeeps. Not just 2012s but fires and other stuff.

MTH 05-29-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeperz Creeperz (Post 2414007)
Also there is a thread where the guy's jeep lasted only 80 miles and the CPU went out. The dealer replaced it and more problems happened. That dealer replaced the Jeep with another with the same features from another dealership. Do a search for my jeep lasted 80 miles for the thread.

I remember either the same thread or a similar one . . . the guy kept having electrical problems with the same sensor/CPU/electrical thingamabob shorting out again and again in his brand new 2012.

They eventually found some wire somewhere that was improperly grounded or some such thing, and the result was that it would keep cooking whatever electrical unit they kept replacing. Once they repaired the wire, the problem stopped reoccuring.

Who's thread was that . . . ? I can't even think of some good search terms to help me dig it up . . . . :confused:

GeckoJK 05-29-2012 11:28 AM

Man that sucks Bob. I hope they get it fixed up. You have had a lot of issues starting out between the dead battery and engine CPU being replaced. I may not have gotten the doors I ordered but my Jeep has been problem free so far. I only have 600km on it now. (360 miles)

panthermark 05-29-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2414047)
I remember either the same thread or a similar one . . . the guy kept having electrical problems with the same sensor/CPU/electrical thingamabob shorting out again and again in his brand new 2012.

They eventually found some wire somewhere that was improperly grounded or some such thing, and the result was that it would keep cooking whatever electrical unit they kept replacing. Once they repaired the wire, the problem stopped reoccuring.

Who's thread was that . . . ? I can't even think of some good search terms to help me dig it up . . . . :confused:

I remember that thread...but not who's Jeep it was. I remember the tech finding a bad ground or something like that...but he had to go through a LOT of wires to find the issue.

Renaissance_Redneck 05-29-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 2413978)
:whistling: Thats a shame-

The old 4-hoof drives never hadda elex failure-

Sure enough, unless the batteries or wires go bad. Though our CJ5 with Dauntless V6 ain't runnin' right now either. Needs a new fuel pump. It's always something!!!

Though, as a glutton for punishment, I'm taking the carb off my CJ5 with 304 V8, and sticking EFI on it!

GonzoBobH 05-29-2012 11:58 AM

I will do a search once I get to work... In the mean time I am still riding around on this shuttle (a hour already) trying to get there.

I think I am getting a headache.

panthermark 05-29-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoBobH (Post 2414158)
I will do a search once I get to work... In the mean time I am still riding around on this shuttle (a hour already) trying to get there.

I think I am getting a headache.

Found it....
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pcm...ve-126584.html

MTH 05-29-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark

Yep, that's it. :thumb: Nice searching.

Megafriday 05-29-2012 12:10 PM

While this forum is a great one, painting a picture of reliability based on the anecdotal data points in this forum doesn't make sense. YTD sales figures of 2012's were approaching 42K as of April, so say there are 100 posts in this forum about problems:

100 / 42,000 = 0.24% problem rate

A better comparison would be the number of forum members with 2012 problems divided by the number of forum members with 2012s. It looks like approximately 20K people have joined the forum since the beginning of the year, and assume 50% own 2012's. Using the same 100 complaints, 100/10k = 1%.

My assumptions aren't perfect, and even a 1% defect rate is probably too high for an expensive product like a vehicle, but still, it's a pretty low number. That doesn't make you feel any better if you're having problems, but until someone puts together a more scientific study, perceptions shouldn't overrule reality.

willee51 05-29-2012 12:23 PM

Mine.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2414047)

That was me!!! At 1300-mi, mine died twice in traffic, suddenly! Kept frying "coil packs" :facepalm:

After the 2nd time, the dealer was out test driving after repair #2 and fried the 3rd coil pack :nonono:

Their fix, was a split pc of heater hose clamped to the metal-end of one of my air-cond hoses :eek: Approved by the "STAR Team". Friends laugh at this sheity repair :confused:

Running OK so far, but I am uncomfortable when in the middle-of-nowhere in the Mtn's, waiting for failure #4.

The engine ticks like a g-father clock, but that's OK, I have the Life Time Warranty. Next failue, I'll get the best Lemon Law Lawyer and sue :eek:

With the "few" (reported on here) 2012 Wrangler fires, I NO longer park my Jeep in the garage at night!
:popcorn:

MTH 05-29-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2414192)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megafriday (Post 2414192)
While this forum is a great one, painting a picture of reliability based on the anecdotal data points in this forum doesn't make sense. YTD sales figures of 2012's were approaching 42K as of April, so say there are 100 posts in this forum about problems:

A better comparison would be the number of forum members with 2012 problems divided by the number of forum members with 2012s. It looks like approximately 20K people have joined the forum since the beginning of the year, and assume 50% own 2012's. Using the same 100 complaints, 100/10k = 1%.

My assumptions aren't perfect, and even a 1% defect rate is probably too high for an expensive product like a vehicle, but still, it's a pretty low number. That doesn't make you feel any better if you're having problems, but until someone puts together a more scientific study, perceptions shouldn't overrule reality.

Wait, did you just try to "disprove" my anecdotal observation by making a bunch of assumptions then running some math off of those assumptions? :rofl:

As I indicated in my post, there's no doubt that an anecdotal assessment is unreliable for drawing large scale conclusions for any number of reasons. People without problems don't make posts, etc. For those reasons, I expressly avoided drawing any kind of "conclusion" as to the overall reliability of 2012s based on the mere appearance of a greater number of problem related threads.

However, I'm fairly certain--and you're welcome to go look over every thread from the past 3 years to double check me--that there are quite a few more threads reporting electrical and/or engine problems with 2012s than there were with 2011s or 2010s. Not sure about 2007s through 2009s.

So the only conclusion I was drawing is that there look to be more threads reporting 2012 issues than 2010 or 2011 issues, and I would expect an actual count of every thread would show me to be irrefutably, numerically, correct.

Again, that's not to say there's some sort of overall unacceptably high failure rate. Perhaps the greater number of problem threads has to do with the greater rate at which 2012s are being purchased than any year before, perhaps a greater percentage of 2012 owners are forum members and so more are reporting problems that would've never been reported regarding prior years, etc. There could be any number of explanations other than an overall reliability issue.

But it's still a legitimate observation to note that there appear to be a significantly greater number of threads reporting problems with new 2012s than did with new 2010s or 2011s. It might be reflective of an overall reliability problem . . . or it might not. I'm just finding it to be a little surprising, that's all.

kjeeper10 05-29-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willee51

That was me!!! At 1300-mi, mine died twice in traffic, suddenly! Kept frying "coil packs" :facepalm:

After the 2nd time, the dealer was out test driving after repair #2 and fried the 3rd coil pack :nonono:

Their fix, was a split pc of heater hose clamped to the metal-end of one of my air-cond hoses :eek: Approved by the "STAR Team". Friends laugh at this sheity repair :confused:

Running OK so far, but I am uncomfortable when in the middle-of-nowhere in the Mtn's, waiting for failure #4.

The engine ticks like a g-father clock, but that's OK, I have the Life Time Warranty. Next failue, I'll get the best Lemon Law Lawyer and sue :eek:

With the "few" (reported on here) 2012 Wrangler fires, I NO longer park my Jeep in the garage at night!
:popcorn:

Almost mentioned you here :)

willee51 05-29-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------

Yea, Yea! Stats do not mean much to those of us that spent $30K+ for a Jeep that continues to fail :nonono:

Keep your numbers! Hell your's MAY be next! When the shoe is on the other-foot, you'll change your opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nello 05-29-2012 12:31 PM

Ah I'm sorry to hear about your jeep man. I hope everything gets worked out.

4Jeepn 05-29-2012 12:41 PM

sorry to hear about this...hope the fix cures it for you.

j0nx 05-29-2012 12:46 PM

Hope it's not electrical as the first thing they will point to are those duallys. Good luck my friend!

Daniel_M 05-29-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah, your numbers pulled from thin air are a much more reliable assumption then ours.:nonono:

We did not say there is an overall problem with 2012, just that it seems like there is quite a bit more posts regarding issues with them. I own a 2008 with over 52K with no problems and likewise don't see many posts regarding '08's having major issues. We were just kicking around thoughts, and that was the first thought that came to my mind "boy there seem to be quite a few 2012 problem posts"

-Dan

jkaufman_95 05-29-2012 12:50 PM

My guess is it's another ecu because they probably went "oh it's bad, just replace it" and didn't work to see WHY it went bad.

jkaufman_95 05-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megafriday

That word assume is a big one, all it does is make an a$$ out of you and me.

GTJeep 05-29-2012 01:10 PM

Well my 2012 JKU just got towed into the dealer this am. 1750 miles most on one trip from St. Louis to Atlanta and back this last weekend. I am waiting on the dealer call to say what is up, but it sure felt like a seized engine to me. Wont even think about turning over.
Hoping for the best...