Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   HID head light conversion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hid-head-light-conversion-163326.html)

kenjiyukawa 05-29-2012 07:26 PM

HID head light conversion
 
Anyone done a HID conversion? Since I lifted the jeep I feel like the stock headlamps are too high odd the ground on there own to really light up the road in front. Of course fog lamps help but I prefer to leave em off for reg driving.

Thoughs? Solutions?

I am open to all.

Thanks.

Daniel_M 05-29-2012 10:39 PM

You'll want projectors. Bi-Xenon HID Projector Headlights - complete kits - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Guys will tell you Trucklite LED or JW Speaker....Blah blah blah. That is a ton of money that is not neccessary to spend. Or piece together your own kit The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

-Dan

Hilldweller 05-30-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2416802)
You'll want projectors. Bi-Xenon HID Projector Headlights - complete kits - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Guys will tell you Trucklite LED or JW Speaker....Blah blah blah. That is a ton of money that is not neccessary to spend. Or piece together your own kit The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

-Dan

Neither of your suggestions are legal or work well though. That sort of thing matters to some people.

The new generation of Trucklite's LED headlights do work very very well and my beta tester Chris is very happy with them.
Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series - JeepForum.com
Trucklite will be sending us a new design pigtail adapter to test on them soon as well; neat stuff.

JW Speaker has recently upped the ante as well and is offering a less expensive LED alternative; I'll be testing them on another Rubicon and am sure they'll do well. JW Speaker makes some cool lights.

As for HID, there is one assembly that's legal that will fit a JK with the same mods as the older JW Speaker LEDs. The HID is the Sylvania/Valeo XE7 (not any other model).

Here's more headlight info than anybody really wants.
Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com

Daniel_M 05-30-2012 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 2417592)
Neither of your suggestions are legal or work well though. That sort of thing matters to some people.

The new generation of Trucklite's LED headlights do work very very well and my beta tester Chris is very happy with them.
Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series - JeepForum.com
Trucklite will be sending us a new design pigtail adapter to test on them soon as well; neat stuff.

JW Speaker has recently upped the ante as well and is offering a less expensive LED alternative; I'll be testing them on another Rubicon and am sure they'll do well. JW Speaker makes some cool lights.

As for HID, there is one assembly that's legal that will fit a JK with the same mods as the older JW Speaker LEDs. The HID is the Sylvania/Valeo XE7 (not any other model).

Here's more headlight info than anybody really wants.
Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com

In some states they will be fine and your telling me that a HID projector will not work well????:nonono:

OP your choice...Top is 35w ballast, bottom is 55w ballast



-Dan

MTH 05-30-2012 10:19 AM

I believe that HID conversions are illegal nationwide under a federal highway regulation. Most other countries as well.

You can find the reg through a Google search, and I read it awhile back. Might not matter to some folks, but certainly worth noting.

Unless you just love the "HID look," I've got to think you can spend that money on other lighting upgrades and come out better off, both in terms of legality and actual performance. JMHO.

Hilldweller's got links and recommendations galore for awesome, legal, and great performing upgrades.

JandS 05-30-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2417997)
I believe that HID conversions are illegal nationwide under a federal highway regulation. Most other countries as well.

You can find the reg through a Google search, and I read it awhile back. Might not matter to some folks, but certainly worth noting.

Unless you just love the "HID look," I've got to think you can spend that money on other lighting upgrades and come out better off, both in terms of legality and actual performance. JMHO.

Hilldweller's got links and recommendations galore for awesome, legal, and great performing upgrades.

This is correct. The government certifies vehicles and headlights are included in this certification. Modifications outside of those certifications are considered illegal.

Many people will say "no cop is going to pull me over," but this isn't the case. While it is unlikely, it is rather easy to recognize that Wranglers don't come with HIDs and then make a traffic stop based on that. Whether the risk is worth it or not is simply up to each driver.

If you do get projectors and/or HIDs, please make sure that they are aimed correctly. A lifted Jeep will easily blind other drivers. While this may seem cool, it isn't. If you cause a wreck because your headlights blind other drivers, you're a a$$hole at best and going to get sued at worst. Make sure that other drivers aren't blinded by your illegal light modifications.

Daniel_M 05-30-2012 10:29 AM

I have no qualms in running HID's in my state, some others don't either. I can't speak to legalities of it but I run HID's with no problems.

I also have aux lighting but I can't run them on the streets. I don't want to spend over $400 for some LED headlights when I can get, IMO, better performing HID projectors for half that. Personally, I'll pass on Hilldweller's information.

-Dan

TOKKIE 05-30-2012 12:45 PM

Hey Daniel, Hilldweller is the leading guru on lights in this forum. If he makes a statment you can pretty much put money on it's correct. Just saying.:whistling:

kenjiyukawa 05-30-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 2417592)
Neither of your suggestions are legal or work well though. That sort of thing matters to some people.

The new generation of Trucklite's LED headlights do work very very well and my beta tester Chris is very happy with them.
Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series - JeepForum.com
Trucklite will be sending us a new design pigtail adapter to test on them soon as well; neat stuff.

JW Speaker has recently upped the ante as well and is offering a less expensive LED alternative; I'll be testing them on another Rubicon and am sure they'll do well. JW Speaker makes some cool lights.

As for HID, there is one assembly that's legal that will fit a JK with the same mods as the older JW Speaker LEDs. The HID is the Sylvania/Valeo XE7 (not any other model).

Here's more headlight info than anybody really wants.
Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com

GREAT info! Thanks.

I want to avoid getting a ticket so I would say HID is out. But these other recommendations sound great and will most likely solve my issue.

I do like the "custom" look true HID kits provide... its nor worth it if I can simulate it other wise.

lyle.ross.jones 05-30-2012 01:43 PM

Had truck lite in for 2 months. Love em. Worth every penny

JPzilla 05-30-2012 02:07 PM

I too have the Truck-lite newer phase 7 and am happy with them I haven't noticed any flicker but that doesn't mean it's not there just haven't noticed them yet. Doesn't look like Hilldweller's test of the phase 6. But they are pricey Q-tech has the phase 7 for $499 while discountfleetsupply.com has them for $425 with free shipping (I think). Check them out.

smess 05-30-2012 02:46 PM

I have DOT approved HID conversion brand new in box never got around to doing. Bulbs and all. 175 new, make me an offer. Plug and play simple.

Daniel_M 05-30-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOKKIE (Post 2418559)
Hey Daniel, Hilldweller is the leading guru on lights in this forum. If he makes a statment you can pretty much put money on it's correct. Just saying.:whistling:

I beg to differ, but ok whatever you say. :nonono:

-Dan

pkmcd99 05-30-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M

I beg to differ, but ok whatever you say. :nonono:

-Dan

Oh dan, its alright, your still the leading guy on steering stabilyzers....lol

johngo86 05-30-2012 03:18 PM

no cop is gonna pull someone over and say " hey you have an illegal heahlight conversion to HID's, you're getting a ticket" lmao come on people

sevenservices 05-30-2012 03:21 PM

Couldn't you just re-adjust your headlights to compinsate for the height diff.? That would be the easiest, fastest and cheapest solution anyways.

MTH 05-30-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngo86 (Post 2419083)
no cop is gonna pull someone over and say " hey you have an illegal heahlight conversion to HID's, you're getting a ticket" lmao come on people

It's not like a speed trap--where they're just waiting and getting people as they pass--but HID tickets are written around here with some frequency.

It mostly happens when you pass the officer in the other direction. He sees the HIDs and knows they're illegal unless you're driving some fancy import, so he spins around and writes you a ticket. Usually a little pissed off because you blinded him a bit, so it often comes with a prickly lecture.

It's sort of the same way you get nailed for letting your registration lapse. The cops aren't out looking for you or waiting to trap you, but when one is behind you at an intersection, he'll pop on his lights and pull you if he sees the expired tag on your plate.

pkmcd99 05-30-2012 03:45 PM

I can see it now, instead of click it or ticket, it will be inferior headlamps and hid conversions, you decide, its your license

JKUCRUSHMIKE 05-30-2012 07:33 PM

Does anyone know more about a harness for the truck lite phase 7 that eliminates flicker without adding the rally light relay harness. I'm not I terested in adding this harness to install headlights that draw very little power.

NFRs2000NYC 05-30-2012 10:00 PM

Again with this legal crap. Do you people understand what DOT approved actually means? It does NOT mean the light is of quality. The stock JK lights are DOT approved so what? A regular joe is not going to spend MILLIONS of dollars getting their lights approved by a bunch of idiots who don't know their a$$ from their elbows (government.) I don't understand this forum sometimes. You love guns, you run tires that stick out past your fenders, you lift the Jeeps to high heaven, and you generally don't want government involved in your lives but for some reason, when it comes to headlights, the government is the save all be all. Face it, both the JW speakers and the Trucklites....as much as I wanted to like them, are not only inferior to a quality HID setup, they are inferior as products (producing artifacts, mounts need to be trimmed, flickering, etc etc etc.) For a product that costs as much as they do, they are simply an inferior product. I've butted heads with Hilldweller on this issue before, and will continue to do so in an effort to save members money as well as save them from buying products that are simply.....poor. I have never met a single person that had a quality HID setup (like posted way above with projectors) that were properly aimed that was ticketed. I have also never met a cop that went to the front of the vehicle and checked the DOT approved stamp. DOT is a meaningless stamp, not enforced anywhere except maybe communist states such as California.

Regardless, it is your money, and you can spend it any way you wish. However, a quality HID setup, will (currently anyway) be MUCH better than subpar LED setups. There is a reason why only a few manufacturers (Audi, Cadillac, etc) have just NOW come up with LED headlights. They are MUCH more complicated to produce, and cost a TON of money. Budget LED setups are exactly that....I have seen every version of lighting for the JK first hand....JWs, IPFs, custom fit projectors, trucklites (current and past) and none of them hold a candle to the quality of light of the proper projector setup. Show me ONE aftermarket headlight DOT or no DOT that has a cutoff like this...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...3/IMG_3085.jpg

Anywho, I've wasted enough of your time. I know everyone here listens to Hilldweller, and hell, I appreciate his research, testing, and information as much as the next guy, but the argument of "legal" vs the actual QUALITY of light is nothing short of moronic.

kjeeper10 05-30-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC
Again with this legal crap. Do you people understand what DOT approved actually means? It does NOT mean the light is of quality. The stock JK lights are DOT approved so what? A regular joe is not going to spend MILLIONS of dollars getting their lights approved by a bunch of idiots who don't know their a$$ from their elbows (government.) I don't understand this forum sometimes. You love guns, you run tires that stick out past your fenders, you lift the Jeeps to high heaven, and you generally don't want government involved in your lives but for some reason, when it comes to headlights, the government is the save all be all. Face it, both the JW speakers and the Trucklites....as much as I wanted to like them, are not only inferior to a quality HID setup, they are inferior as products (producing artifacts, mounts need to be trimmed, flickering, etc etc etc.) For a product that costs as much as they do, they are simply an inferior product. I've butted heads with Hilldweller on this issue before, and will continue to do so in an effort to save members money as well as save them from buying products that are simply.....poor. I have never met a single person that had a quality HID setup (like posted way above with projectors) that were properly aimed that was ticketed. I have also never met a cop that went to the front of the vehicle and checked the DOT approved stamp. DOT is a meaningless stamp, not enforced anywhere except maybe communist states such as California.

Regardless, it is your money, and you can spend it any way you wish. However, a quality HID setup, will (currently anyway) be MUCH better than subpar LED setups. There is a reason why only a few manufacturers (Audi, Cadillac, etc) have just NOW come up with LED headlights. They are MUCH more complicated to produce, and cost a TON of money. Budget LED setups are exactly that....I have seen every version of lighting for the JK first hand....JWs, IPFs, custom fit projectors, trucklites (current and past) and none of them hold a candle to the quality of light of the proper projector setup. Show me ONE aftermarket headlight DOT or no DOT that has a cutoff like this...

Anywho, I've wasted enough of your time. I know everyone here listens to Hilldweller, and hell, I appreciate his research, testing, and information as much as the next guy, but the argument of "legal" vs the actual QUALITY of light is nothing short of moronic.

Dude, that is a crazy shot. How the hell does a light do that? :popcorn:

NFRs2000NYC 05-30-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2420741)
Dude, that is a crazy shot. How the hell does a light do that? :popcorn:

A quality projector, properly aimed is all you need. You can get a nice set of Acura or Lexus projectors for about $175 a set. The housing is irrelevant. An Acura projector is "DOT approved" and the housing does nothing to aim/control the light, so the fact that the entire package is NOT DOT approved means nothing. Again, I respect Hilldweller, and think he has done an invaluable service to the community, but the legal argument is nothing but propaganda. Again, remember, even Hilldweller admits the OEM JK housing is about as good as a candle, but yet, they are DOT approved....shows you yet again how our worthless government is running. DOT is nothing but a bloated good for nothing organization. I'm sure you guys all LOVE the fact that we have TPMS. Sure makes wheel changing better....by better, I mean more expensive for the consumer, without actually helping the actual problem.

schnizdawg 05-30-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Regardless, it is your money, and you can spend it any way you wish. However, a quality HID setup, will (currently anyway) be MUCH better than subpar LED setups. There is a reason why only a few manufacturers (Audi, Cadillac, etc) have just NOW come up with LED headlights. They are MUCH more complicated to produce, and cost a TON of money. Budget LED setups are exactly that....I have seen every version of lighting for the JK first hand....JWs, IPFs, custom fit projectors, trucklites (current and past) and none of them hold a candle to the quality of light of the proper projector setup. Show me ONE aftermarket headlight DOT or no DOT that has a cutoff like this...
Agreed. I have phase 7 truck lites, the newest ones. They are just about as good as my wife's factory VW GTI HID lights. Almost as good but not as good. I honestly didn't want to go through the headache of baking my factory jeep lights in the oven so i could split them apart to install a set of HIDs. Didn't have the time or patience. LOL. Otherwise I would have absolutely went with retro fit install. DOT compliance is a waste of time. Everyone should just install the lights that work best for them and aim properly.

Sinz 05-31-2012 12:28 AM

I put aftermarket true HID Projectors on my Camaro, the cut off line is exactly like the pic posted above...granted they cost me $1200.00 for the kit but in the end it was well worth it, I bought them from Xenon HID Headlights - Brightheadlights-HID.com - HID Lights, Euro light lighting Kits. Headlight Upgrades

Here are the true HID Projectors on my Camaro...
1985 Chevrolet Camaro "Rocinrol" - Toronto, ON owned by Rocinrol Page 2

Here are the 7' true HID Projectors that will fit our Jeeps
Sylvania Xenarc X6024 Sealed Beam HID Headlights Upgrade

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/JEEP-6024.JPG

scicero1 12-20-2012 09:38 PM

illegal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2417997)
I believe that HID conversions are illegal nationwide under a federal highway regulation. Most other countries as well.

You can find the reg through a Google search, and I read it awhile back. Might not matter to some folks, but certainly worth noting.

Unless you just love the "HID look," I've got to think you can spend that money on other lighting upgrades and come out better off, both in terms of legality and actual performance. JMHO.

Hilldweller's got links and recommendations galore for awesome, legal, and great performing upgrades.

aren't many of our jeeps technically set to fail inspection once we lift, go bigger with tires, etc. I have gone over many state inspect laws from many states, half of us would fail tire sticking out and bumper height, then fog lights, led bars, etc we would fail the candlepower test. I think legal in a jeep forum is a word to use lightly

scicero1 12-20-2012 09:40 PM

illegal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 2420695)
Again with this legal crap. Do you people understand what DOT approved actually means? It does NOT mean the light is of quality. The stock JK lights are DOT approved so what? A regular joe is not going to spend MILLIONS of dollars getting their lights approved by a bunch of idiots who don't know their a$$ from their elbows (government.) I don't understand this forum sometimes. You love guns, you run tires that stick out past your fenders, you lift the Jeeps to high heaven, and you generally don't want government involved in your lives but for some reason, when it comes to headlights, the government is the save all be all. Face it, both the JW speakers and the Trucklites....as much as I wanted to like them, are not only inferior to a quality HID setup, they are inferior as products (producing artifacts, mounts need to be trimmed, flickering, etc etc etc.) For a product that costs as much as they do, they are simply an inferior product. I've butted heads with Hilldweller on this issue before, and will continue to do so in an effort to save members money as well as save them from buying products that are simply.....poor. I have never met a single person that had a quality HID setup (like posted way above with projectors) that were properly aimed that was ticketed. I have also never met a cop that went to the front of the vehicle and checked the DOT approved stamp. DOT is a meaningless stamp, not enforced anywhere except maybe communist states such as California.

Regardless, it is your money, and you can spend it any way you wish. However, a quality HID setup, will (currently anyway) be MUCH better than subpar LED setups. There is a reason why only a few manufacturers (Audi, Cadillac, etc) have just NOW come up with LED headlights. They are MUCH more complicated to produce, and cost a TON of money. Budget LED setups are exactly that....I have seen every version of lighting for the JK first hand....JWs, IPFs, custom fit projectors, trucklites (current and past) and none of them hold a candle to the quality of light of the proper projector setup. Show me ONE aftermarket headlight DOT or no DOT that has a cutoff like this...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...3/IMG_3085.jpg

Anywho, I've wasted enough of your time. I know everyone here listens to Hilldweller, and hell, I appreciate his research, testing, and information as much as the next guy, but the argument of "legal" vs the actual QUALITY of light is nothing short of moronic.


Thank you, you can buy a car right now with enough candle power than our jeeps with high beams and fog lights and more light on it. Our bumpers fail hieght specs, our exhaust, everything. QUALITY is all we need

scicero1 12-20-2012 09:43 PM

if DOT is even real, there shoudl be a max and min, and if so, tell me how a new lexus blows my jeep lighting away, or a freaking ford focus having better headlight for driving than my jeep. We got jiptd. Its that simple, we are just trying to find a way to get more quailty without hearing illegal, syvania, and cheap crap. Because you should ad a penny to a jar and send it to me at the end of the year, Ill be able to by a new jeep

scicero1 12-20-2012 09:46 PM

jeep pic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 2417592)
Neither of your suggestions are legal or work well though. That sort of thing matters to some people.

The new generation of Trucklite's LED headlights do work very very well and my beta tester Chris is very happy with them.
Truck-Lite's New LED Headlamp Series - JeepForum.com
Trucklite will be sending us a new design pigtail adapter to test on them soon as well; neat stuff.

JW Speaker has recently upped the ante as well and is offering a less expensive LED alternative; I'll be testing them on another Rubicon and am sure they'll do well. JW Speaker makes some cool lights.

As for HID, there is one assembly that's legal that will fit a JK with the same mods as the older JW Speaker LEDs. The HID is the Sylvania/Valeo XE7 (not any other model).

Here's more headlight info than anybody really wants.
Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com


Id like to see your jeep, I want to see your set up and how easy this all is

Putzy 01-03-2013 08:28 AM

What is the difference in the relay harness wiring and the hi/lo control wiring harness that hook up to the battery? One of my lights flicker (passenger side) and I have the hi/low controller installed with 2 15 amp fuses connected on the positive side. If I remove the hi/low controller and install a relay would that get rid of the flickering and will I still be able to use my hi beams by removing the hi/low controller?

davefr 01-03-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyle.ross.jones (Post 2418755)
Had truck lite in for 2 months. Love em. Worth every penny


But LED lites have a major problem in that they cannot melt ice, slush and/or snow that falls on the lenses.

That's a showstopper here!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.