Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Oil Pressure Guage

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kernal Clink 
#1 ·
My oil pressure gauge on my '81 YJ w/2.5 now pegs all the way past 80 psi before I start the engine, as soon as I turn on the ignition. I'm guessing either the gage or the sending unit. I tried looking in Chilton's for information on where the sending unit is located and could not find anything about it. How would I find out if it is the gauge or the sending unit -- or could it be something else I'm not aware of?
I changed oil about 500 miles ago, the gauge was alright after that. I just added a half quart yesterday to bring it back up to full and noticed the gauge today. I can't imagine a connection to that, but then I really know either.
Any help, suggestions, solutions?

#2 ·
Sending unit is to the right when looking at the distributor. When you are looking at it from the passenger side of the engine compartment, its on a stalk like thing right behind the AC mount. Try cleaning it first but if its still bad, make sure you get a guage sending unit not a oil pressure switch.

Good luck,

Pat

#3 ·
I had the same issue and last night I changed out the sensor...very easy and pretty cheap...its right next to the oil filter on my 89 yj. The new sensor fixed my problem right away....just dont over tighten...I found the part for 17.99 at a place called AutoZone here in RI.

#4 ·
Oil Pressure gauge help

Hey that's what I like -- a variety of choices, but maybe your both describing the same place in different terms. I'll have a look as soon as I get off work tonight. I should be able to find it now though.
Thanks for you help!:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.