Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   why i HATEEEE salesmen at dealerships (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/why-i-hateeee-salesmen-at-dealerships-163597.html)

trfjones 05-30-2012 10:09 PM

why i HATEEEE salesmen at dealerships
 
well where to begin... i wanted a jeep
i have never purchased a new car but really wanted the new wrangler and the new pentastar (ticking jokes aside...)

so i did a little research and decided to start visiting the dealership to look and feel jeeps myself.
i clearly explained that i was just there to look at jeeps and that i am the type of person that takes months to do anything, let alone buy a car.

the salesmen i worked with was rodney... who wasnt too pushy and sort of helpful, however he pushed every option as one i definitly should own (eye roll)
at the end of my first visit i mentioned that i would probably visit ziebart for underbody and rust stuff (i was at least interested, mainly in the underbody though). rodney said the dealership does all that, and the 2k package.... well he can give it to me at cost at 1.2k
i said i would consider it
he tells me to sign a paper with the 1.2k on it
i say "wait does this mean i am agreeing to this? i am just considering it thats all"
he says... "noooo this just locks the price for later in case you work with another salesman..."
guess where that story goes...


anywho before i leave i get the "closer" GM who comes to tell me i should get a jeep that day and starts to push. i tell him i am not impulsive and even if i was... i would want to wait for my buddy's control number from chrysler (friends and fam)
he says 'you dont need that... that code just gets you to 1% over invoice... we will sell you the car for 1% under invoice"

about 1 month later... on my 4th visit to the dealership (or so) i tell rodney i am not intersted in most of the package... merely the underbody stuff
he gives me this huge line about how i "need" the rust protection... i tell him i am just looking for a bid and i am going to compare it to ziebart
he prepares a new sheet with 999 on it and has me sign it. i tell him i am probably going with ziebart, and he says hey thats ok, this deal is here for you if you want it

so about 2 months later i order the jeep and it arrives
2 days ago i go to pick it up

first of all i used the code...
then i am looking down the price and i see "999.99" on "environment package"
i go "what is this".... well guess what its the package i supposedly agreed to
I BLEW UP
rodney comes in and i say "wtf... you KNOW i never agreed to this... you told me i was signing that sheet to preserve the price, and that i was probably going to go with ziebart!!"

his response... omg i am so sorry, when i told you the "car was getting prepped" i thought you knew that's what i meant

well... as a first time auto buyer "car getting prepped" to me means they are adding oil and gas... or putting the wheels on or something
BUT, that doesnt matter because anyone reading this knows his response was a lie...

so i say i am not paying... NO WAY...
rodney's response "oh sheit well it's already on the car!"

so i blow up some more and tell him i want to pay cost and that i don't believe 999 is at all cost (rust protection and underbody)
they say 500... i sadly accept

so i pick up the car 10 min later.... look under the car and what a shock THERE IS NO UNDERBODY WORK.... i point it out and rodney says "oh well the lift was broken so we couldnt do it, but... we will this week whenever you want!"

the next morning.... an idea hits me... he was lying about everything
so i call the dealership and speak to service and ask them what work has been done on my car
"well mr _____ only the normal prep work for any vehicle"
"no underbody"
"no sir"
no rust protection"
no sir

... i call rodney
according to him (after he later calls me back)... that they did it the day i picked up my car (2 days ago) BUT forgot to log it on the service sheet they were so rushed...


then i txt him back and forth... here is the conversation verbatim

ME honestly... did they actually do the rust protection stuff rodney?

ROD yes!! you can smell it in your cabin

ME ok but i dont thin ki had the interior package too... i had the underbody and rust protection accroding to your sheet where they spray inside the doors

ROD when did you set up your apt with Paul (service) for??
friday

ME roddney are they going to do the rust thing friday too then?

ROD yes theyll finish up

ME so they never did the rust thing either did they

ME rodney they never did the rust protection or the underbody bedlining or the soundproffing did they

ROD ok!! if you want to do thursday evening till friday thatll be cool too

ME rodney answer the question

ME rodney they never did the rust protection or the underbody bedlining or the soundproffing did they

ROD OK

ME rodney yes or no did they do the rust protection or the underbody bedlining or the soundproffing?

ME rodney yes or no did they do the rust protection or the underbody bedlining or the soundproffing?

ROD everything was done but the undercoat




obviously he is lying but i dont know what to do... he knows if i caught him i would demand my money back for the work they have yet to do but i never wanted but they claimed was already performed...
ugh...
thanks for listening to me vent wranglerforum

trfjones 05-30-2012 10:19 PM

one additional thought...
i am unfairly putting this on all salesmen at dealerships
the new title of this thread should be "why i hate 2 particular salesmen at a dealership"

wassup8687 05-30-2012 10:20 PM

Wow. That would be a REAL easy one for me. I'd tell good old Rodney that I didn't ask for it, you didn't apply it, and I'm not paying for it so take it off my bill or you can take the Jeep back.

In NYS I believe you have 3days where you can go back and turn the sale around.

I don't think it would be in Rodney's best interest to go in front of his boss or a court of law lying saying they applied something they didn't.

JKralph 05-30-2012 10:21 PM

pics or it didn't happen. kidding. that sucks, dude, good thing you read carefully.

Up Hill Bill 05-30-2012 10:25 PM

If you used the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program control number to buy the Jeep, call Chrysler's Affiliate program "Hot Line" at: 1-888-444-4321, between the hours of 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST.

Chrysler guarantees that you CAN NOT be required to buy any extras by the dealer. Chrysler will require the dealer to remove the charge, if you didn't expressly agree to it in writing on the signed contract of sale for your Jeep.

Don't ever call "Rodney" again, deal through the Chrysler's Affiliate program!

daggo66 05-30-2012 10:43 PM

Never get rustproofing or undercoating. Live by that mantra and you will never have to deal with such issues. It is totally unnecessary.

Dusty Rhodes 05-30-2012 10:46 PM

I have never had a warm experience with car salesmen period. My wife recently bought a KIA and the weasel stole the free gas card. He tried his best to get stuff added but we stayed focused and double teamed him.
How about posting pics of your new jeep? The dealer in my town has only a few 4 door models and two used ones. No Rubi's at all.
My dealings with the two parts counter guys has been stellar. One is an old grizzled CJ hardazz. I was there today and he was telling a phone customer how to upgrade the u-joints on a Dana 30. Part numbers and all.
Hope you resolve your dilema and are able to enjoy your jeep soon.

3JKs1H1 05-30-2012 11:36 PM

I actually don't mind buying cars anymore. Bought 3 JKU's in the last year or so, all went well.

It starts with you being informed. What models are offered and what options you have interest.

ex. I want a Rubicon with auto and Freedom top and 4.1 and electric start. I want towing. It stickers at 36,995. Fine, i'll offer 3200 less and Im only willing to pay 250 for doc fees. Then you ask "Are you in or out"?

They'll find one with $155 climate option, fine - I give you $120 for that.

Then the try to talk you about "extended bumper to bumper", or a free oil change and tire rotation plan.

Tell them you want the original car at this price, no extras, $225 in doc fees and your closing it through my bank. If that cant to this you'll walk this offer someone who does.

You financing is lined up - or you have cash, so you don't listen to their speel. Write check, take car, and leave.

carguyco 05-31-2012 12:14 AM

I'm feeling very hurt right now..

did you know that "most" car salesman are regular guys just like you guys?
Did you know that "most" car salesman are honest guys that are just trying to make a living?

Sigh..

I'm starting a thread.....

"this is why I hate car buyers who hate car salesman"

carguyco 05-31-2012 12:21 AM

One more thing
I'm sorry you were treated the way you were...sadly there are those kind of salesman out there....next time do some research on the dealership as a good dealership will not tolerate that sort of thing...ever.
Good luck, I'm sure you will get the charge removed....you may have to work for it...but you will get that removed.

mcdull 05-31-2012 01:53 AM

In a day or 2, Chrysler is going to call you about your experience with the car, salesman, finance and etc, give them the worst grade (I just did the survey today, they called me last week twice but I was busy)

You can also let the salesman and dealership know you're going to file a complaint to Chrysler.

LVCapo 05-31-2012 02:06 AM

Sounds like a Las Vegas jeep dealership....biggest scumbags I've ever met.
Make sure you filll out that survey Chrysler sends you and share all of this....it makes a difference. I filled out mine with my poor experience and less than 3 days later the dealerships GM was calling and emailing me about my experience.

Con Artist 05-31-2012 02:51 AM

It took my wife and I FIVE AND A HALF HOURS to close a deal on a Subaru Forester a few weeks ago; everything from test-driving a few cars to negotiating a price, and finally getting into the finance office. It only took us ONE HOUR to purchase a home.

I didn't get a great deal on my Jeep; sticker was $36,635 and I got it for $35,000, but according to KBB, it was a fair deal. I've seen people here posting about how they've gotten sheitloads of cash off new Jeeps, but I'm yet to figure out how they did it. The dealership here is pretty small and don't carry a large inventory, so maybe that's the reason, but I'll never know...

The finance manager didn't push anything on us, including a warranty. He basically just went over the contract with us and got everything squared away, and didn't even try to sell us an extended warranty, he just mentioned what the extended warranty packages were, gave us a few brochures, and moved on.

Why it's such a pain in the butt to buy a car is a mystery to me; it should be a cut and dry procedure, just like going in and buying a pair of shorts from Kohl's; you go in, there's the price, and that's what you pay, period. There shouldn't be any negotiating or anything.

While speaking of bad experiences, I wonder who's familiar with the Jeep dealer in Leesburg, VA (Dulles Jeep). I went in there last year to look at Jeeps and the first thing the little salesman from Mexico or Honduras or wherever looks me up and down, then says in a real condescending voice, "...And what can I NOT sell you today?" I ignored his smartass little comment and thought, "Okay, bad joke, but I'll roll with it." From there, he clearly just didn't want to help, which was obvious. I told him I was there to look, yet he wanted me to sit down at his desk, order me a Jeep, etc. When I told him I wasn't ordering a Jeep and I already stated I was there looking, his attitude continued to go downhill from there. To say the least, I purchased elsewhere.

mcdull 05-31-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2421185)
While speaking of bad experiences, I wonder who's familiar with the Jeep dealer in Leesburg, VA (Dulles Jeep). I went in there last year to look at Jeeps and the first thing the little salesman from Mexico or Honduras or wherever looks me up and down, then says in a real condescending voice, "...And what can I NOT sell you today?" I ignored his smartass little comment and thought, "Okay, bad joke, but I'll roll with it." From there, he clearly just didn't want to help, which was obvious. I told him I was there to look, yet he wanted me to sit down at his desk, order me a Jeep, etc. When I told him I wasn't ordering a Jeep and I already stated I was there looking, his attitude continued to go downhill from there. To say the least, I purchased elsewhere.

I went to Glendale, CA Jeep dealer last Aug, wanted to test drive the 2012 JKU, other dealers nearby only had the 2011. It's weekday noon and the salesmen had nothing to do but chatting in front of the building. Once I told the salesman I was not going to buy the Jeep that day, his attitude changed totally. I think that's the key, they don't even want to talk to you if you're not going to buy THAT day.

Anyway, I told him I wanted to test drive a 2012, but he led me to 2011 and kept telling me they're the same even after I argued with him that 2012 had new engine and transmission. He refused to pull out any 2012 because a service car was blocking and told me to come back the next day :eek:.

That night I posted a bad review on yelp (that dealer got average 2 stars) and sent a complaint thru the dealer's web page. A few days later I received appologize email and a few months later the GM posted a response to my review, quoted here (I don't believe it's "former employee" though):

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, It's unfortunate that an inadequate former employee has given you such a bad taste to a dealer that has such a strong culture in making sure that clients are treated fairly and honestly...

After all, the dealership don't want bad publication

Milous 05-31-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguyco (Post 2421029)
I'm feeling very hurt right now..

did you know that "most" car salesman are regular guys just like you guys?
Did you know that "most" car salesman are honest guys that are just trying to make a living?

Sigh..

I'm starting a thread.....

"this is why I hate car buyers who hate car salesman"

Well, YOU may be a rare exception, and there are a few others (i.e. Pat@Fields), but realistically, ones chances of finding "regular"/"honest" salesman are about the same as winning the lottery. I have been buying new cars for 40+ years and I could count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many honest salesman I have run across.

It's unfortunate that the buying experience for vehicles is made so difficult, that a buyer has to be totally on guard at all times to try and avoid the trickery and deception that comes at you from every direction.

My best experience?
Years ago, went to a local dealership to by the wife a small Chevy pickup. Promo price on the truck was $100 over invoice. Told the salesman to work up the numbers, trading in a few-years old mint Honda that, by my research, had a trade-in value of ~11k. Salesman came back with a lowball offer of $8400 for the Honda - using the common tactics of whatever you have to trade "is not popular right now" or "we have too many of those".

Headed to a different dealer 40 miles away. Drove into lot and found exact color/options that we wanted. Told the salesman I'd like to work some numbers so we went inside...

Me: My local dealer offered a similarly equipped truck for $100 over invoice.

Salesman: How does $50 over invoice sound?

Me: (in shock) Perfect!

Me: Local dealer low-balled us on the trade-in, what can you do?

Salesman: (pulls out NADA Guide) We'll go $10,800 on the trade.

Me: Deal! Write it up.

Me: By the way, I prefer not to visit the finance office, I'll write you a check for the difference, I don't need any "add-ons".

Salesman: Not a problem, let's get the paperwork started.

I ended up writing a check for $500, OTD with T&L. The entire process, from arriving at the dealership to driving away in the new truck, took less than 45 minutes, my quickest vehicle purchase ever.

acepm 05-31-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 2421225)
Well, YOU may be a rare exception, and there are a few others (i.e. Pat@Fields), but realistically, ones chances of finding "regular"/"honest" salesman are about the same as winning the lottery. I have been buying new cars for 40+ years and I could count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many honest salesman I have run across.

It's unfortunate that the buying experience for vehicles is made so difficult, that a buyer has to be totally on guard at all times to try and avoid the trickery and deception that comes at you from every direction.

My best experience?
Years ago, went to a local dealership to by the wife a small Chevy pickup. Promo price on the truck was $100 over invoice. Told the salesman to work up the numbers, trading in a few-years old mint Honda that, by my research, had a trade-in value of ~11k. Salesman came back with a lowball offer of $8400 for the Honda - using the common tactics of whatever you have to trade "is not popular right now" or "we have too many of those".

Headed to a different dealer 40 miles away. Drove into lot and found exact color/options that we wanted. Told the salesman I'd like to work some numbers so we went inside...

Me: My local dealer offered a similarly equipped truck for $100 over invoice.

Salesman: How does $50 over invoice sound?

Me: (in shock) Perfect!

Me: Local dealer low-balled us on the trade-in, what can you do?

Salesman: (pulls out NADA Guide) We'll go $10,800 on the trade.

Me: Deal! Write it up.

Me: By the way, I prefer not to visit the finance office, I'll write you a check for the difference, I don't need any "add-ons".

Salesman: Not a problem, let's get the paperwork started.

I ended up writing a check for $500, OTD with T&L. The entire process, from arriving at the dealership to driving away in the new truck, took less than 45 minutes, my quickest vehicle purchase ever.

Sounds like my purchase too. I called the owner of the dealership and asked him to set me up with someone who could handle the sale...NOT sell to me. No problem. He put me in contact with the Sales Manager. Mike was a great guy. He asked if I would mind working with a salesman...just to go over the vehicle...nothing else. Sure, no problems.

Jeff Marine was the salesman. Great guy, very knowledgeable about the Jeep product. NO hard sale about ANYTHING. I know what I wanted...and the first thing was to NOT be sold to! LOL!!

I selected what I wanted and they had to DX the unit in. No problem. When I arrived back at the dealership a week later, Jeff pretty much had all the paperwork ready to go. 20 mins with him and then about 5 mins "in the box" with the expediter to sign papers. I wrote a check in full and my son and I were out the door in nothing flat!

One thing I love to do is buy vehicles. I also love to argue with salespeople if I know they are being dishonest. Then, walk out.

You don't have to buy anything from any one person. Find another. They're just like us...hungry for a sale. Find someone you can trust and then be loyal. Believe me...it'll pay off in the end 10 x's over!

KittyPrawn 05-31-2012 05:39 AM

Honestly, I walk from the dealership the second they start playing games. I'm sure there are other dealers in the area who would treat you better. They would not have had my business.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2421185)
While speaking of bad experiences, I wonder who's familiar with the Jeep dealer in Leesburg, VA (Dulles Jeep). I went in there last year to look at Jeeps and the first thing the little salesman from Mexico or Honduras or wherever looks me up and down, then says in a real condescending voice, "...And what can I NOT sell you today?" I ignored his smartass little comment and thought, "Okay, bad joke, but I'll roll with it." From there, he clearly just didn't want to help, which was obvious. I told him I was there to look, yet he wanted me to sit down at his desk, order me a Jeep, etc. When I told him I wasn't ordering a Jeep and I already stated I was there looking, his attitude continued to go downhill from there. To say the least, I purchased elsewhere.

Good to know. Though, I wasn't planning on going with them. My man had a choice of 3 or so dealerships when he purchased his Jeep due to a bank auto purchase program he has. He chose Safford Jeep in Springfield, VA. I have never felt that I have been to a more open and honest dealership. They never played the "let's consult the manager" price game. They never lied. If they didn't know something, they told me that they didn't know it. It was also nice that I knew they couldn't lie to my SO because I knew the vehicle and options so well. They gave him a great deal on a Jeep that had more bells and whistles than he was going to order. They're almost guaranteed my business at the end of this year.

Fas550 05-31-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn
Honestly, I walk from the dealership the second they start playing games. I'm sure there are other dealers in the area who would treat you better. They would not have had my business.

Good to know. Though, I wasn't planning on going with them. My man had a choice of 3 or so dealerships when he purchased his Jeep due to a bank auto purchase program he has. He chose Safford Jeep in Springfield, VA. I have never felt that I have been to a more open and honest dealership. They never played the "let's consult the manager" price game. They never lied. If they didn't know something, they told me that they didn't know it. It was also nice that I knew they couldn't lie to my SO because I knew the vehicle and options so well. They gave him a great deal on a Jeep that had more bells and whistles than he was going to order. They're almost guaranteed my business at the end of this year.

I got mine from Safford. Beat all comers from Koons, Dulles and Fair Oaks. No games. Just a great experience as it could possible be from a dealer. Go on their website and see if they have what you want in their new inventory then call and ask to speak to the sales mgr (I.e. not a rep). I did all of this with all 3 dealers on the phone. Koons and Dulles said they couldn't give me a good price unless I came in. I told them that was unfortunate as I would buy a jeep in the next 48 hrs and I didn't have time to go visit dealerships: they relented after a credit check and started to provide pricing. A gave each dealer a best and final offer chance and told them roughly where they needed to be. In the end Safford was about 600 less and I liked the attitude of the sales mgr. As an FYI it was the very same sales mgr and sales person I bought my first Wrangler from over 2 years ago. That's saying something when they same sales folks are at the same dealer for so long.
Frank

Cosmic Charlie 05-31-2012 06:27 AM

Use a site like the BofA car buying service or truecar.com and your interaction with the salespeople will be a minimum. Not to mention you'll do much better than 1% below invoice.

I had my choice of 3 dealerships in my area who guaranteed $1000 below invoice. I contacted them all and went with the one willing to work with me. Almost all of it was done through email/phone calls. Ended up at 4% under invoice on my Arctic, the finance rate I wanted, and all I had to do was show up and sign the papers. Spent 15 minutes at the dealership.

I decided on that route after I walked in to my closest dealership and was greeted by the "Sales Manager" who, no joke, was dressed like a pimp. I almost asked him if it was Halloween, but thought better of it. Then I did a test drive with a sales "goon." And I call him that because he knew very little about the Jeep, but every other sentence out of his mouth was, "I can give you the best deal you'll find. Let's write up some numbers." In the end, even with the Tread Lightly discount, they were at 1% OVER invoice. I pointed out it was supposed to be UNDER but he wouldn't budge. That was his best price. Thanks, but no thanks.

The dealership I actually went with, was much different. Sales guy answered all my questions and responded to emails and calls promptly and with the info I needed. None of these annoying sales pitches. The only thing he ever said was, "I would really appreciate the opportunity to work with you in finding the Jeep you want." And that's exactly what he did. And I got the price I wanted. Really, a very easy purchasing experience.

Con Artist 05-31-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn (Post 2421323)
Honestly, I walk from the dealership the second they start playing games. I'm sure there are other dealers in the area who would treat you better. They would not have had my business.

Yeah, thought about that but I figured since I drove 45 minutes to get there, I'd stick around just to look.

I wound up back there again right before purchasing from another dealer out this direction because they had a Dozer sitting there and I wanted to see the color. I was helped by someone else and while he helped me, he had absolutely no personality. It was a long walk to the vehicle and he didn't say a thing; think "uncomfortable silence." Once again, maybe he didn't really wanna help me because I mentioned I was only there to look at what they had and not ready to buy yet because I was waiting on my settlement check from the insurance company before purchasing. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did ask for what I was looking for and did try to locate a vehicle for me but came up empty-handed. I gave him a few colors to look for, but then through email I mentioned I was changing my mind to Silver, and then I didn't hear anything back from him again...until 3 weeks later.

In all honesty, after that first experience, I hadn't any intention of buying from them but it's not his fault the other salesman is a douche. While speaking of which, I did see the other salesman there and he certainly recognized me; I just scowled at him and made mention to the salesman helping me that I'd been in 5 months prior and dealt with his ignorant fellow salesman.

Last night after reading this thread, I did decide to send the GM of Dulles an email with a photo of me posing with my Jeep I bought elsewhere. :thumb:

rics1997 05-31-2012 06:46 AM

What's a 1000 car salesman at the bottom of the ocean? A good start

daggo66 05-31-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 2421185)
I've seen people here posting about how they've gotten sheitloads of cash off new Jeeps, but I'm yet to figure out how they did it.

People like to exaggerate how great a deal they got.

kjeeper10 05-31-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

People like to exaggerate how great a deal they got.

Reality is, dealer is laughing cause they got taken for a ride :D

daggo66 05-31-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3JKs1H1 (Post 2420964)
I actually don't mind buying cars anymore. Bought 3 JKU's in the last year or so, all went well.

It starts with you being informed. What models are offered and what options you have interest.

ex. I want a Rubicon with auto and Freedom top and 4.1 and electric start. I want towing. It stickers at 36,995. Fine, i'll offer 3200 less and Im only willing to pay 250 for doc fees. Then you ask "Are you in or out"?

They'll find one with $155 climate option, fine - I give you $120 for that.

Then the try to talk you about "extended bumper to bumper", or a free oil change and tire rotation plan.

Tell them you want the original car at this price, no extras, $225 in doc fees and your closing it through my bank. If that cant to this you'll walk this offer someone who does.

You financing is lined up - or you have cash, so you don't listen to their speel. Write check, take car, and leave.

You definitely need to be well informed, however forget about sticker price. Start negotiating at invoice price. Paying cash does not get you a better deal. Financing is negotiable as well and the dealers have the access to the same financing anyone else does. When I recently helped my daughter buy her car the dealer beat my credit union's rate.

panthermark 05-31-2012 07:06 AM

Sucks to hear about that stuff.

Research is the key. Be firm but polite, and be willing to walk away.

My laptop goes with me to the car dealers.

Hopefully everything gets resolved.

Also....keep a sharp eye out on the finance department. That is where the REAL shark lives.

As for the above post, agreed. There is so much information on the web that MSRP is useless. $2000 under MSRP is a much different deal on a 2 door base sport than on a loaded 4 door Rubi. Start at invoice and work from there.

RoxstarD 05-31-2012 07:29 AM

I guess my car buying experience is rare?
My family all told had bought 11 cars(or jeeps) from the same guy. He goes to church with my family back home. The first purchase I made from him was a 2005 F150 crew cab fully loaded. We did everything over the phone including my trade in value. Sticker price $24,500. I paid 16,500 plus interest(3.4%). When I started looking for Jeeps I did not consider him due to the fact it was a ford dealership. Come to find out he had a Jeep dealership 3 hours away owned by the same family of dealerships. He found my jeep, sticker price 31,999 and went and picked it up for me. I took him the F150 he sold me 3 years prior and he offered me 17,900 for trade in(1400 more than I paid originally from him) and we negotiated the Jeep price down to 23,500. Said he was taking a hit, but would make up for it knowing my family would keep buying from him he'd make more money long term. An he did, they have bought 3 more cars since then (and my sister took a bath on the Jeep he sold her, LOL) some dealers out there are honest good folks, but they are the exception to the rule.

Fas550 05-31-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxstarD
I guess my car buying experience is rare?
My family all told had bought 11 cars(or jeeps) from the same guy. He goes to church with my family back home. The first purchase I made from him was a 2005 F150 crew cab fully loaded. We did everything over the phone including my trade in value. Sticker price $24,500. I paid 16,500 plus interest(3.4%). When I started looking for Jeeps I did not consider him due to the fact it was a ford dealership. Come to find out he had a Jeep dealership 3 hours away owned by the same family of dealerships. He found my jeep, sticker price 31,999 and went and picked it up for me. I took him the F150 he sold me 3 years prior and he offered me 17,900 for trade in(1400 more than I paid originally from him) and we negotiated the Jeep price down to 23,500. Said he was taking a hit, but would make up for it knowing my family would keep buying from him he'd make more money long term. An he did, they have bought 3 more cars since then (and my sister took a bath on the Jeep he sold her, LOL) some dealers out there are honest good folks, but they are the exception to the rule.

Well it is. The rarity is trying to find a salesperson that stays at a dealership long enough to by 11 cars.

Cosmic Charlie 05-31-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2421420)
People like to exaggerate how great a deal they got.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2421425)
Reality is, dealer is laughing cause they got taken for a ride :D

This aimed at me?

Alpinejku 05-31-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxstarD
I guess my car buying experience is rare?
My family all told had bought 11 cars(or jeeps) from the same guy. He goes to church with my family back home. The first purchase I made from him was a 2005 F150 crew cab fully loaded. We did everything over the phone including my trade in value. Sticker price $24,500. I paid 16,500 plus interest(3.4%). When I started looking for Jeeps I did not consider him due to the fact it was a ford dealership. Come to find out he had a Jeep dealership 3 hours away owned by the same family of dealerships. He found my jeep, sticker price 31,999 and went and picked it up for me. I took him the F150 he sold me 3 years prior and he offered me 17,900 for trade in(1400 more than I paid originally from him) and we negotiated the Jeep price down to 23,500. Said he was taking a hit, but would make up for it knowing my family would keep buying from him he'd make more money long term. An he did, they have bought 3 more cars since then (and my sister took a bath on the Jeep he sold her, LOL) some dealers out there are honest good folks, but they are the exception to the rule.

My Arctic listed for $39,065 and I paid $3,000 for it. Also they gave me $65,238 for my 2010 Sport with 204,000 miles on it.
No way in HELL did you get 25% off of MSRP.

wranglerasaurus 05-31-2012 08:41 AM

Went to the dealer one weekend to look at new jeeps and the salesman was playing the whole buddy bit until we sat down at the desk for negotiation. He told me they never sell anything below $500 above invoice but he would give me that price since I was custom ordering it (priced msrp@ 29,080, his price was 28,300). I told him I could get it for 27,000 because I knew the owner but I wanted to go through him so he could get paid for selling it. He called BS, and said everyone says they know the owner, and told me good luck in finding the deal I wanted elsewhere. Let's just say im not a big fan of arrogance. The look on his face was priceless when I walked in the next friday and was greeted by the owners son. Talk about 2 faced.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.