Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   A girl who knows nothing about her Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/a-girl-who-knows-nothing-about-her-jeep-163839.html)

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 12:27 AM

A girl who knows nothing about her Jeep

So, most Jeep die hard fans would say I'm not a true Jeep lover. I will never take my Jeep Wrangler off road, the thought of getting my Jeep dirty stresses me out, I work in the city, in an office wearing a pencil skirt and heels and the last Jeep I had (Liberty) I put on less than 14,000 miles in 4 years. However, I have been wanting a Jeep Wrangler since 1991 and a week ago I finally got one. A beautiful black 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Got a base model (I'm not a fancy girl...for the most part...lol). But I did already get running boards and seat covers for her. Now I want new tires and rims. Big ones (33x12.50x15). And I am here to learn all about it. So, be nice to a girl who knows little to nothing about her Jeep, other than I love the look, the feel and the way it holds it's value. I welcome any advice, knowledge and information anyone is willing to share with me. And I WILL ask many, many, many stupid questions (c'mon, I'm a girl and missing that pen!s thing that seems to give you an edge when it comes to being a gear head), so bare with me.

LouieDelTorchio 06-01-2012 01:00 AM

Welcome to the forum! Im sure any questions you have will be answered, no matter how stupid they are.

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 01:08 AM

I hope so! I just posted my tires questions. I think I did it right...LOL. I guess we will see. If I get no replies then it's a pretty good bet I f*up somewhere.

MrSig 06-01-2012 03:11 AM

Welcome and enjoy the forum!

blkrubi88 06-01-2012 04:13 AM

Welcome!

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 09:35 AM

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome.

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSig (Post 2424974)
Welcome and enjoy the forum!

Looking at your pictures almost gave mea heart attack, LOL. I can't ever think to put my Jeep thru that. I mean I know it is built for it but...it just goes against everything I have ever been told about cars. Just the dirt alone on my hand wax job would freak me out, LOL. OMG, I am such a girl. :redface:

tobkis 06-01-2012 09:41 AM

Welcome, Put on the biggest tires your purse can afford. Enjoy :D

Beastmaster 06-01-2012 09:44 AM

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

erickpl 06-01-2012 09:48 AM

Welcome to the forum!!!

Keep in mind, that when you add tires, your felt power may seem to go down. If you go too much bigger than what you have stock, it will impact acceleration (and perhaps the speedometer being off - I'm not as familiar with the latest Wrangler (JK's)). Also keep in mind the tire's width. If you go too wide, you may have issues with the tires rubbing when the steering wheel is turned at full lock.

Both of those issues can be addressed easily enough, but realize one mod on a Jeep may have consequences and requirements to other parts of the Jeep.

33's shouldn't be a problem on the JK's, but again, somebody more familiar with them could answer better than I.

While we all here love to see Wranglers in their element (offroad), if you want to keep it on the street, that's your choice and it's your Jeep. But I do know several that have bought Jeeps saying the exact same thing. Now their Jeeps are bigger and more built up than mine (which is a modest buildup).

Gate53 06-01-2012 09:54 AM

I have only one thing to say. Please when you get ready to sell your wrangler give me a PM! I only wish you had bought a Rubi I could buy later. I bought my current Jeep from someone that didn't go offroad and I never got a better deal. The Jeep community needs more people unwilling to go offroad. It makes for the best used Jeeps. I tend to tear mine up and if you ever have a question feel free to ask. Welcome to the forum. I have a TJ but I'm sure if you ask about the tires in the JK thread someone will know right off the top of their hear.

kfdjason7620 06-01-2012 09:57 AM

Welcome!

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate53 (Post 2425701)
I have only one thing to say. Please when you get ready to sell your wrangler give me a PM! I only wish you had bought a Rubi I could buy later. I bought my current Jeep from someone that didn't go offroad and I never got a better deal. The Jeep community needs more people unwilling to go offroad. It makes for the best used Jeeps. I tend to tear mine up and if you ever have a question feel free to ask. Welcome to the forum. I have a TJ but I'm sure if you ask about the tires in the JK thread someone will know right off the top of their hear.

My boyfriend has a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X, 38,000 miles. Never been offroad, waxed 2-3 times a year, oil changed 2-3 times a year. Stainless steel muffler, bikini softop and the original soft top, no dings or dents. He loves it and babies that thing. He is waiting for the HEMI Wrangler.

LouieDelTorchio 06-01-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck

My boyfriend has a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X, 38,000 miles. Never been offroad, waxed 2-3 times a year, oil changed 2-3 times a year. Stainless steel muffler, bikini softop and the original soft top, no dings or dents. He loves it and babies that thing. He is waiting for the HEMI Wrangler.

Hes a guy who has a wrangler which he never wheels? O_o

SilverSport 06-01-2012 05:09 PM

Julie, Welcome Aboard! :wavey:

mattbju2013 06-01-2012 05:28 PM

Get BFG a/t tires they are good tires

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio (Post 2426910)
Hes a guy who has a wrangler which he never wheels? O_o

HAHAHA! Yes he is a guy who has never taken his Jeep off road. Which I guess doesn't surprise me since I'm more handy than he is (owns more tools too). He has two sets of tires for his Jeep (summer ones...beefier and the winter ones...stock).

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 08:22 PM

I just installed my running boards! took me 2 hours but I did it! They look great. I will have to post some pictures of my hard work. And I didn't break a nail doing it!!!!

Walkingstick 06-01-2012 08:25 PM

Welcome aboard from NC!
I'm a guys guy haha. I drive through my city with my wrangler covered in Red clay and dripping water. Also pick my dates up with her dirty sometimes(test of their character).

LouieDelTorchio 06-01-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick
Welcome aboard from NC!
I'm a guys guy haha. I drive through my city with my wrangler covered in Red clay and dripping water. Also pick my dates up with her dirty sometimes(test of their character).

You know whats up. If they tolerate the mud, they can tolerate you... maybe....

Hoytgirl07 06-01-2012 08:53 PM

Welcome :wavey:
I am not a girly girl I do get mine muddy but I knew that when I bought it. The only thing I can say is if you dont want to get hooked playing in the mud dont try it! The last time I went I spent 4 hours just washing the underneath of mine! But I bought it knowing that it would get muddy but also knowing that I love mine so I will take really good care of her and bathe her when Im done playing!!! I have annoyed my hubby about questions about it but I am not completely dumb when it comes to cars. I grew up around nothing but guys and had to be able to drive a manual, change the oil, and change a tire before I could get my license. I love tinkering with mine. Good luck with it!

Walkingstick 06-01-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio

You know whats up. If they tolerate the mud, they can tolerate you... maybe....

I like my women to be adventurous, and it's must they have to be outdoorsy so to speak. And sometimes I just test them by having my top off and doors off.

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 09:45 PM

I don't mind mud on other people's car, just not on mine. A bird pooped on my Jeep the day after I hand washed and waxed it. There I am at 11:00 at night rewashing the spot the bird took a dump. I'm a bit OCD about my car...lol. I will be detailing her again this weekend (spent 4 hours last weekend detailing her), minus the waxing.

Walkingstick 06-01-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

I don't mind mud on other people's car, just not on mine. A bird pooped on my Jeep the day after I hand washed and waxed it. There I am at 11:00 at night rewashing the spot the bird took a dump. I'm a bit OCD about my car...lol. I will be detailing her again this weekend (spent 4 hours last weekend detailing her), minus the waxing.

I'm OCD with maintenance and weapons maintenance and.. That's about it. How're you liking your wrangler thus far?

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkingstick (Post 2427985)
I'm OCD with maintenance and weapons maintenance and.. That's about it. How're you liking your wrangler thus far?

I love it! With 285hp, she handles great. And the 3 piece hardtop...LOVE it! So easy! Takes only 3 minutes to undo the two front panels and I'm good to go. And the disc brakes on all four tires (no drums)...awesome! Only bad thing (just because I'm cheap and I was doing my own oil changes) the oil filter you can only get at the dealership at this time. But I am sure someone will come out with one for the 2012's soon.

I don't own a weapon...yet. WI just passes its concealed and carry, and I will be getting mine soon. Just have to budget in the money for a gun. But tires and wheels first. All this is REALLY cutting into my shoe fund (I have a small...400 pairs and counting...addiction to shoes) :)

Walkingstick 06-01-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

I love it! With 285hp, she handles great. And the 3 piece hardtop...LOVE it! So easy! Takes only 3 minutes to undo the two front panels and I'm good to go. And the disc brakes on all four tires (no drums)...awesome! Only bad thing (just because I'm cheap and I was doing my own oil changes) the oil filter you can only get at the dealership at this time. But I am sure someone will come out with one for the 2012's soon.

Damn that blows chunks.
Hate dealerships

Another Guy In A Jeep 06-01-2012 10:25 PM

Who says jeeps get muddy?

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 10:43 PM

AHHH! Courtland, I could never let it get that dirty. I am way too ODC to allow it. It would age me, greatly...LMAO!

silver rubi 06-02-2012 12:45 AM

Welcome to the forum! He changes the oil 2-3 times a year?? wow!! I change mine at least once a month lol. All I can say about the offroading bit..... A powerwasher is my Jeep's best friend during the summer :)

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver rubi (Post 2428376)
Welcome to the forum! He changes the oil 2-3 times a year?? wow!! I change mine at least once a month lol. All I can say about the offroading bit..... A powerwasher is my Jeep's best friend during the summer :)

Thanks for the welcome! Yes 2-3 times a year. we only put on...maybe 2000 a year per Jeep. Did you know on the 2012 you can only get the oil filters at the dealership? That is going to suck. I'm use to doing my own oil change and can do it normally for $15 bucks. I don't even know what they will charge me for the filter.