Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Attention 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport owners, I need your help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/attention-2012-jeep-wrangler-sport-owners-i-need-your-help-163987.html)

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 09:01 PM

Attention 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport owners, I need your help!
 
I want to install 33x12.50x15 tires, 15x8 with 5x5 bolt pattern with under 4" backspacing wheels on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport, without a lift kit (I'm 5'3" and don't need any more trouble getting into my Jeep). I will not be towing or taking the Jeep off road. I am being told by Goodyear that it can not be done. That it will rub. The smallest I can go is 16x8 according to Goodyear. He said that with 2012's that everything is super tight fit. i guess because he didn't know much about the 2012's he called a Jeep tech specialist. Is this true or are they being overly cautious and this can be done? Anyone who has a 2012 Sport installed 33x12.50x15 tires with 15x8 wheels? Your input would be really helpful! Thank you!

texasdave 06-01-2012 09:07 PM

There are plenty here that run that setup. Your backspacing needs to be at least 3.75 if I'm not mistaken.

Disraeli 06-01-2012 09:10 PM

Ummmm, good question: Whose word to believe.....the Jeep Tech Specialist at Goodyear OR one of the yahoos on this board.

That's a tough one.

ave8er 06-01-2012 09:14 PM

worked on mine... level 8 tracker wheels you can look on discount tire direct and probably get the specs for these wheels... I would believe the yahoos here but that is just me....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/IMAG0720.jpg

SilverSport 06-01-2012 09:15 PM

Believe the yahoos on this forum.

phottomatt 06-01-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2427821)
I want to install 33x12.50x15 tires, 15x8 with 5x5 bolt pattern with under 4" backspacing wheels on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport, without a lift kit (I'm 5'3" and don't need any more trouble getting into my Jeep). I will not be towing or taking the Jeep off road. I am being told by Goodyear that it can not be done. That it will rub. The smallest I can go is 16x8 according to Goodyear. He said that with 2012's that everything is super tight fit. i guess because he didn't know much about the 2012's he called a Jeep tech specialist. Is this true or are they being overly cautious and this can be done? Anyone who has a 2012 Sport installed 33x12.50x15 tires with 15x8 wheels? Your input would be really helpful! Thank you!

By "rubbing" it sounds to me that they are talking about your wheels rubbing on the calipers and not the tires. It depends on which wheels you are using, some 15" wheels will rub the brake calipers, some will not. PM the DTD guy for which wheels work, there is a lot of threads about this. Here is a list of the wheels that will not rub your calipers.
page 31 post 915

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phottomatt (Post 2427912)
By "rubbing" it sounds to me that they are talking about your wheels rubbing on the calipers and not the tires. It depends on which wheels you are using, some 15" wheels will rub the brake calipers, some will not. PM the DTD guy for which wheels work, there is a lot of threads about this. Here is a list of the wheels that will not rub your calipers.
page 31 post 915

John you are my favorite person today! Thank you so much!

Disraeli 06-01-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 2427867)
Believe the yahoos on this forum.

No doubt, there are dudes with Jeep doctorates lurking around here.

Preston777 06-01-2012 09:44 PM

these are mb72's 15x8 on the 33 1250 dura's they will not rub at all turning or not unless you disconnect the sway bar. that is the only time they will rub and it's jsut barely on the top of the fender.
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a.../ocotillo5.jpg

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2427946)
these are mb72's 15x8 on the 33 1250 dura's they will not rub at all turning or not unless you disconnect the sway bar. that is the only time they will rub and it's jsut barely on the top of the fender.

What is the backspacing on your MB Wheels 72 15X8 5-127 -19MTB?

Preston777 06-01-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2428008)
What is the backspacing on your MB Wheels 72 15X8 5-127 -19MTB?

yes that's the exact size

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2428082)
yes that's the exact size

Do you know the backspacking specs? I need them to be under 4"

phottomatt 06-01-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2427929)
John you are my favorite person today! Thank you so much!

:redface:

Preston777 06-01-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2428089)
Do you know the backspacking specs? I need them to be under 4"

the -19 you listed is the backspacing number. -19mm is the same as 3.75" bs

MTH 06-01-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disraeli

No doubt, there are dudes with Jeep doctorates lurking around here.

I don't know about jeep doctorates, but I do know there are a lot of 2012s on this forum running 15" wheels with no caliper contact, so the "Goodyear jeep specialist" is demonstrably wrong.

So yeah, yahoos on this forum, 1; Goodyear jeep specialist, 0.

iluvshoes 06-01-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2428110)
the -19 you listed is the backspacing number. -19mm is the same as 3.75" bs

I didn't know that...lol. C'mon I'm a girl...ol. I warned people in my new member check in that I would ask stupid questions...lol. Thank you for being nice about it! I think I am getting the exact set up as you. Hope you don't mind.

MTH 06-01-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck

Do you know the backspacking specs? I need them to be under 4"

3.75.

They'll fit. The 15" MB72s and 33x12.5R15 DuraTrac is easily the most popular aftermarket wheel/tire combo on this forum. Many, many folks run that set up--and they all fit.

Preston777 06-01-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2428118)
I didn't know that...lol. C'mon I'm a girl...ol. I warned people in my new member check in that I would ask stupid questions...lol. Thank you for being nice about it! I think I am getting the exact set up as you. Hope you don't mind.

haha no worries, that's why everyone is here to ask questions.
and good choice on the tire/wheel set up. I love mine. kinda wish I got 35's but I think Ill wait til I can afford the rest of the mods :dance:

LVCapo 06-01-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck (Post 2427821)
I want to install 33x12.50x15 tires, 15x8 with 5x5 bolt pattern with under 4" backspacing wheels on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport, without a lift kit (I'm 5'3" and don't need any more trouble getting into my Jeep). I will not be towing or taking the Jeep off road. I am being told by Goodyear that it can not be done. That it will rub. The smallest I can go is 16x8 according to Goodyear. He said that with 2012's that everything is super tight fit. i guess because he didn't know much about the 2012's he called a Jeep tech specialist. Is this true or are they being overly cautious and this can be done? Anyone who has a 2012 Sport installed 33x12.50x15 tires with 15x8 wheels? Your input would be really helpful! Thank you!

Ran 33x12.5x15 GY Duratracs (they measure 32" installed) on 15" MB TKOs, 3.75 BS (purchased at Discount Tire)...no rubbing at all. There are also some 15" Pro Comp wheels that clear the calipers without issue.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2428183)
haha no worries, that's why everyone is here to ask questions.
and good choice on the tire/wheel set up. I love mine. kinda wish I got 35's but I think Ill wait til I can afford the rest of the mods :dance:

The BF thinks I should get stainless steel muffler to make my car louder. I don't want my car louder. And I think after the wheels and tires, I don't think I need much else (maybe a cargo net and in my dreams a HEMI). As I said before I am never going to tow anything (didn't get a tow package) and go off roading. I kind of like my Jeep a bit "vanilla". I know that isn't the norm with most Jeep owners.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 12:12 AM

Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your help. And I am going to listen to the "yahoos" on here and not the Goodyear pimple face kid. You all have been VERY helpful, making my decision very easy without alot of hassles. DTD seems to have the best deals. I'm so excited to upgrade my wheels!

suicideking 06-02-2012 12:38 AM

Just make sure you check with the DTD rep or get one of the rims that others have said will work.

Do you have a reason for wanting 15" rims? I know tires will be less expensive. If not, get 16's so you will have more choices. I went with 16" because I didn't see many 15's I liked and didn't want to deal with any issues with the brakes. If you get 16's, you can get anything with 4.5" backspacing or less.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 2428363)
Just make sure you check with the DTD rep or get one of the rims that others have said will work.

Do you have a reason for wanting 15" rims? I know tires will be less expensive. If not, get 16's so you will have more choices. I went with 16" because I didn't see many 15's I liked and didn't want to deal with any issues with the brakes. If you get 16's, you can get anything with 4.5" backspacing or less.

I find it to be the opposite. I had a hard time finding 16" wheels I liked and the price of tires jumped 15-20%. DTD and everyone here was very helpful and I'm very comfortable with the selections. I will be buying them sometime next week. Waiting for my CC billing cycle to reach. Then I won't have to make the payment for 1.5 months, which gives me a bit more time to save up and work the budget out to pay it in full and sell my stock tires and wheels (hate paying interest. Even at 1.99% on my Jeep it bothers me I'm paying interest).

2012gecko 06-02-2012 10:45 PM

When I picked up my 12 JKU from the dealer somebody was having that size tires put on with no lift. He added flat fender flares to make sure there would be no rubbing. P.S.: I'm a newbie too but I study a lot. LOL

iluvshoes 06-03-2012 09:07 PM

I'm ordering them on Wednesday. The BF is buying them for me (I'm such a lucky girl).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.