Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Selling stock tires and wheels, set of 5? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/selling-stock-tires-and-wheels-set-of-5-a-164020.html)

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 01:05 AM

Selling stock tires and wheels, set of 5?

What is a fair price to ask for a set of 5 P225/75R16 with less than 150 miles on them? I want to sell my stock tires and wheels (2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport). Is there even a market/demand for stock tire set? It seems like everyone upgrades their tires and there is surplus of supply of tires sets and low demand. Any thoughts on this?

daggo66 06-02-2012 01:30 AM

You're best bet would be to sell them on Craigslist. They will fit other vehicles. Not many Wrangler owners would want them.

bilbowbone 06-02-2012 01:44 AM

I just traded these tires in (kept wheels) and the dealer actually paid me $230.00 for the five with 2,000 miles on them. You can get these tires for $75.00 each new.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbowbone (Post 2428449)
I just traded these tires in (kept wheels) and the dealer actually paid me $230.00 for the five with 2,000 miles on them. You can get these tires for $75.00 each new.

I am getting new wheels (15x8) and tires (33x12.20x15). So don't have a need for the stock ones. I could do what my BF does which is have two sets (winter and summer) but that seems silly to me since I don't drive much.

joe buell 06-02-2012 05:18 AM

I myself agree with bf I have two sets too other in friends big garrage 1set for DD and offroad other set stock for vacation hwy saves on the bfg mts amd gaaaaaaaasssss

MacCTD 06-02-2012 06:02 AM

I sold just the tires for $200 to a friend with a GC, still have the wheels, I have put them on CL for cheap but no interest.

chim-chim7 06-02-2012 06:03 AM

Take out the sensors, they alone are worth what the tires are. Plus if you want TPMS on your new wheels, you will need to remove them first.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 09:24 AM

Will I have sensors on mine (wrangler sport) and will I need a new spare mount for the bigger tires?

jkjeeper06 06-02-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkritzeck
Will I have sensors on mine (wrangler sport) and will I need a new spare mount for the bigger tires?

As long as it was made after 2007, they all have sensors. For 33's no you won't need a new one. Some people get new bump stops tho to reduce vibration a bit. That's your choice tho

GonzoBobH 06-02-2012 01:45 PM

I couldn't give my stock 16" away. I am keeping them posted on CL, but not much interest other than Bank Check scammers. I am trying to barter them away to a friend who has a liberty, but since he's kind of broke and in need, I may end up just giving them to him (banking good karma never hurt).

I even have my MOPAR side steps listed and not a bite on them either :confused: I thought for sure someone would want them for, say, their Sahara as they are rather nice. (If you are in the greater Tucson area and interested...)

Though I now have Rubicon sliders on and want to get some ACE rails, I am holding off pulling the trigger on that until I recoup a bit.

Anyway, sorry for the high jacking... it's just a interesting topic for me. :hide:

jasper07 06-02-2012 02:26 PM

Sold mine for $325 on CL. Took forever. I just got lucky.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 07:28 PM

It sounds like there isn't many who will buy them. I guess I could keep them and use it as winter tires. that is what my BF does. I was hoping to sell them to help pay for the new ones. The new ones are going to cost me $1410 (wheels from DTD and tires from Goodyear).

Am I able to use the TPMS off my current tires for the new ones and the lugs? Or do I need to buy new?

nkcci 06-02-2012 07:45 PM

I'm buying if you are in the greater Kansas City area.

iluvshoes 06-02-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkcci (Post 2430561)

I'm in Milwaukee WI :((

pdubois64 06-02-2012 11:53 PM

Saw someone trying to get $1000 for a set of these. I lol'd

Braveheart12JK 06-03-2012 01:16 AM

Sold my 5 stock 17" tires with 2500 miles on em to a tire dealer for $250. Not bad :)

Budphoto 06-03-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkcci (Post 2430561)

Nkcci, sent You a pm. I'm in Lawrence and have 5 tires and wheels off my 2012 with about 2k on them. Put on 315/75/17 Duratracs with pintler wheels

VaderJK12 06-03-2012 07:46 PM

I just sold my 5 stock wheels/tires with the TPMS for $500 to my neighbor last week who just bought a new JK.

You can reuse the TPMS for your new setup if you want. You can either:

A. Have DTD send you the new wheels and tires NOT mounted and balanced. Break down your stock setup, remove the sensors and then install the sensors in the new setup. Just remember the price to break down the stock setup and then the price to mount and balance the new setup.

or

B. Have DTD mount and balance your new setup for free and do not use the TPMS. You will just need to manually check your tire pressure like the old days. Cheaper this way too.

Either way, you will need to buy the AEV ProCal to change the tire pressure threshold or to zero it out (if TPMS are not used). Plus adjust your speedometer so your odometer is accurate.

iluvshoes 06-05-2012 01:45 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I listed my tires and wheels yesterday morning on Craigslist and I have a buyer! Thank you to everyone for your help with this.

sknyfats 06-05-2012 02:15 PM

I know you said you had a buyer, BUT, if you aren't in a hurry for the money, take your time. I sold my 2012 sport tires & wheels (qty 5) for $850. That was a steal of a price. Less than 1,000 miles on them. I posted my ad on CL and broke down the value of both the tires & the wheels (showed dealer price & online discount reseller price)... I think the "value" was upwards of $2500 (the rims alone retail for like $400 a piece if I remember correctly). Anyway - if you provide a good reference to what someone would pay new for them, be clear that they won't have to pay tax or shipping, and knock off a little for depreciation - you should be able to get a good bang for your buck.

I'm pretty sure I could've sold mine for $1200 or more if I held out (still a great deal), but I decided to help a guy out who really wanted these tires & rims for his few years older Jeep & had to bargain with the wife to get the money to buy'em.

For those who just give the tires or rims to the dealer, or only take a few hundred bucks - I say you're nuts. You paid full price for every single component on that Jeep when you bought it, so you may as well try to get as much of it back as you can when you re-sell your takeoff parts.

sknyfats 06-05-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderJK12 (Post 2433639)
I just sold my 5 stock wheels/tires with the TPMS for $500 to my neighbor last week who just bought a new JK.

You can reuse the TPMS for your new setup if you want. You can either:

A. Have DTD send you the new wheels and tires NOT mounted and balanced. Break down your stock setup, remove the sensors and then install the sensors in the new setup. Just remember the price to break down the stock setup and then the price to mount and balance the new setup.

or

B. Have DTD mount and balance your new setup for free and do not use the TPMS. You will just need to manually check your tire pressure like the old days. Cheaper this way too.

Either way, you will need to buy the AEV ProCal to change the tire pressure threshold or to zero it out (if TPMS are not used). Plus adjust your speedometer so your odometer is accurate.

Even with TPMS, everyone still needs to manually check tire pressure on a regular basis. Even moreso for Jeepers who change their tire pressure often. TPMS is just a nice 'backup' for when you've got a leak and are losing pressure rapidly. Of course, I've always felt leaks due to driveability changes sooner than TPMS has ever told me, but that's just me.

Also - you don't necessarily "need" to change TPMS settings with aftermarket tires/wheels. It just depends on the threshold and where you run your tires at. I replaced my 17" factory wheels with 16" wheels & 33" tires. I run my tires around 28-30 psi regularly - and sometimes as high as 45psi. I've never had to worry about the TPMS going on since I've been well within the TPMS thresholds currently set.

Speedomter settings will need to be adjusted only if it's off (verify with GPS and/or smart phone GPS speed apps). Get the new wheels & tires on, figure out what psi you'll be running at, and THEN determine if you need to have your speedo adjusted. You'll be surprised how many folks are either dead on still, or, are 1 or 2mph off and choose to not spend the $ on a ProCal for such a minor deviance. I have one - but I really don't "need" it.

-JC- 06-05-2012 02:56 PM

It's painful selling the wheels for $250 for the set. It looks like the 2012 17" Rubicon wheels are about 600 apiece if you have to buy them new.

-JC- 06-17-2012 07:53 PM

No one is sharing my pain. Now I have to take 2 perfectly good bumpers to the dump. People only want them if you take them to them and install them. And bring the beer. And buy them gas.

rics1997 06-17-2012 08:20 PM

Most of you that say you sold yours, had the 32's on 17" wheel. Selling the 29's on the 16's are a whole other animal. Best luck is as someone else said would be to find another vehicle with the same size tires to sell them to. Not too many Wrangler owners want the 29" stock tires. They are upgrading. At least the 32's on the 17" wheels are a upgrade for the 29" tire owners.

dhdad 06-17-2012 08:20 PM

I know people who've got between $500-$600 for just the tires if they have under 1000 miles. These would be the Rubicon MT tires not the Sport tires.

pluke the 2 06-17-2012 10:50 PM

Sport tires and wheels free.

Rubicon wheeks and tires 350 - 600

pdubois64 06-18-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sknyfats (Post 2440516)
I know you said you had a buyer, BUT, if you aren't in a hurry for the money, take your time. I sold my 2012 sport tires & wheels (qty 5) for $850. That was a steal of a price. Less than 1,000 miles on them. I posted my ad on CL and broke down the value of both the tires & the wheels (showed dealer price & online discount reseller price)... I think the "value" was upwards of $2500 (the rims alone retail for like $400 a piece if I remember correctly). Anyway - if you provide a good reference to what someone would pay new for them, be clear that they won't have to pay tax or shipping, and knock off a little for depreciation - you should be able to get a good bang for your buck.

I'm pretty sure I could've sold mine for $1200 or more if I held out (still a great deal), but I decided to help a guy out who really wanted these tires & rims for his few years older Jeep & had to bargain with the wife to get the money to buy'em.

For those who just give the tires or rims to the dealer, or only take a few hundred bucks - I say you're nuts. You paid full price for every single component on that Jeep when you bought it, so you may as well try to get as much of it back as you can when you re-sell your takeoff parts.

Are you talking about the 16" or 17"? If 16" you are very lucky. It doesn't matter what they are worth it's about what someone is willing to pay. I wouldn't pay more than $800 for the 17" alloys with the BFG Mud Terrains (Stock Rubicon wheels). They always come up for sale when people inevitably move up to a different setup.