Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Diagnosing Death Wobble and Non-DW Wobbles and Shimmies Videos (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-non-dw-wobbles-and-shimmies-videos-164023.html)

planman 06-02-2012 01:55 AM

Diagnosing Death Wobble and Non-DW Wobbles and Shimmies Videos
 
Several people have requested videos that explain Death Wobble and diagnosis/inspection.

The videos are kind of long at 18-19 minutes each. Hopefully, they are thorough enough to help.

Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 1 - YouTube
Death Wobble Diagnosis and Inspection Jeep JK Wrangler Part 2 - YouTube


Here is my Diagnosing Death Wobble thread with more written detail:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dia...les-78034.html

SeaComms 06-02-2012 04:56 AM

Fantastic info as usual Planman.

I did a video of my drag links tie rod end when it was new as I noticed the identical movement at 23,000 km. I didnt have any problems, was just doing a routine inspection.

My Dealer claimed it was normal and wouldnt replace it! Is still the same nearly 20,000 km later.

Tie Rod End - YouTube

Might approach them again and see what they say.

kjeeper10 06-02-2012 04:57 AM

Wow.... Great :thumb:

kjeeper10 06-02-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaComms
Fantastic info as usual Planman.

I did a video of my drag links tie rod end when it was new as I noticed the identical movement at 23,000 km. I didnt have any problems, was just doing a routine inspection.

My Dealer claimed it was normal and wouldnt replace it! Is still the same nearly 20,000 km later.

Tie Rod End - YouTube

Might approach them again and see what they say.

My passenger side DL to knuckle did the same.

I don't think that is normal. Not bad though. Any vibes ?

I still have a strange vibration and I've been through everything.

Replaced ball joints, tie rod/drag link and 4 TRE's and nothing helped.

I thought for sure that TRE was my problem but no :(

SeaComms 06-02-2012 06:51 AM

Na, no vibes, but do have what I consider is excessive freeplay in the steering. Going from a normal camber to an off camber stretch of road have to turn the steering wheel about 3 inches at least to keep in a straight line, could be part of the slop.

kjeeper10 06-02-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaComms
Na, no vibes, but do have what I consider is excessive freeplay in the steering. Going from a normal camber to an off camber stretch of road have to turn the steering wheel about 3 inches at least to keep in a straight line, could be part of the slop.

Funny, I watched these vids.
Friends of mine would would see the vid and think it was my jeep.
Same TRE, my ball joints weren't as bad but showed movement also.

I noticed a clunk go away after the ball joints and the steering was a bit tighter.

Awesome videos :)

planman 06-03-2012 10:23 AM

Thank you.

I didn't know if many people would sit through an 18-19 minute video, but I am glad that it has helped.

pluke the 2 06-03-2012 12:24 PM

Good stuff Planman. Sat through both of your videos. Always a great contributor to the JK community.

Dew 06-04-2012 08:46 PM

just sat through all 37mins.. thanks for makin these! Its like takin a jeep wrenching class for free!

planman 06-20-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dew (Post 2437339)
just sat through all 37mins.. thanks for makin these! Its like takin a jeep wrenching class for free!

Thanks. Glad they helped.:thumb:

Reno_wrangler 07-11-2013 02:31 PM

I do not have Dw FORTUNATE FOR NOW...but my steering always feels loose with a slight vibration..kind of bothers us. Any advice on replacement bushings etc that may help reduce the Vibe etc. Seems like all feels tighter after I shoot the red grease into my Z points. But short lived.

planman 07-12-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reno_wrangler (Post 3951150)
I do not have Dw FORTUNATE FOR NOW...but my steering always feels loose with a slight vibration..kind of bothers us. Any advice on replacement bushings etc that may help reduce the Vibe etc. Seems like all feels tighter after I shoot the red grease into my Z points. But short lived.

Energy and Daystar usually make polyurethane replacement bushings.

I'd recommend you follow the inspection checklist at the beginning of this thread and watch the videos.

4grainer 07-12-2013 10:46 AM

I was having bump steer, shakes and a clanks. Watched the videos and found my lower control arm bushings "SkyJacker" were shot and my track bar needed re torqued. Also found play in my ball joints. Replaced the bushings and tightened the track bar and all is good. Haven't replaced the ball joints yet.

rcosika 07-12-2013 01:47 PM

Well, I've stated this before, but will say it again:

These videos are priceless when it comes to front end diagnostics!! :thumb:

If anyone is having DW problems, this is how you get it resolved. For me (see my tale of woe in the original sticky), two trips to the dealer and a couple of warranty replacement parts did NOT fix my problem. SO, I watched the videos, used them to troubleshoot my Jeep, ordered parts, installed them, and "BINGO!" the problem is gone! :)

Thanks again to everyone, especially PLANMAN, who helped! :thumb:

Regards,

Bob~ :punk:

rcosika 07-12-2013 01:50 PM

FYI....anyone with bonafide Death Wobble will more than willingly trade 30 seconds of DW for 37 minutes of video...trust me on that one! LOL :rofl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.