Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   clicking/tapping upon acceleration 97 2.5 tj...HELP!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/clicking-tapping-upon-acceleration-97-2-5-tj-help-164034.html)

jblaznik 06-02-2012 07:21 AM

clicking/tapping upon acceleration 97 2.5 tj...HELP!!

very annoying, loud tapping/clicking from engine upon immediate start-up, then upon acceleration only. Read some from forum(s); checked the exhaust manifold, found a missing top/left bolt..replaced and tightened other manifold bolts along with visual for cracks...no luck, tapping still there. Tried the 'ole screwdriver at the end of a hose diagnosis trick..can't find the sound. Figured with that method on the valve cover, a sticky lifter would be easy to hear...nope. sound coming from back of motor, mid way down i think. Any ideas or similar discoveries out there? I'm frustrated!!

jblaznik 06-02-2012 07:24 AM

....oh yea, also did an engine flush and oil change...no change.

rpk73 06-02-2012 07:31 AM

Is it only happening at low rpms upon acceleration? Does it sound like a rattle coming from the firewall?

Barrier 06-02-2012 07:55 AM

This sounds like the sound I have been getting although mine seems to be when the Air Conditioner is on. It is intermittent comes on after start-up then seems to go away although might come back. I double checked the oil level, hood rubber gaskets, engine top cover. Seemed to diminish after I topped the oil up (1/3 quart down), but returned.
This is on my 2012 JKU Sahara with auto air. 2500 miles, November 2011 build.
I went back to the dealer but noise was not there when I brought it in. I did not want to leave it for days for it to arrive on a road test. I figure I'll bring it back when I hear it. I will be changing over to synthetic oil in another 500 miles (1st change at 800 miles dino oil), perhaps that will make a difference.
Lew

jblaznik 06-02-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpk73 (Post 2428732)
Is it only happening at low rpms upon acceleration? Does it sound like a rattle coming from the firewall?

doesn't sound like a rattle....noise is at all rpms.

jblaznik 06-02-2012 01:08 PM

using a stethoscope, i found the clicking noise where the back (far right) injector when into the block....unplugged that switch and the noise went away. Does that mean a rod problem? No significant lifter noise from top of valve cover...still frustrated.

wwch99tj 06-02-2012 01:26 PM

Could be a broken piston skirt

Moody715 06-02-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwch99tj
Could be a broken piston skirt

I would agree here! I had the same problem last october and ended blowing a head gasket and rebuilding my engine. I would really look into fixing it before it becomes a bigger (more expensive) problem.

Turned out mine was a broken piston skirt and if you run it like that you WILL scar up the inside of the piston walls bad

wwch99tj 06-02-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moody715

Turned out mine was a broken piston skirt and if you run it like that you WILL scar up the inside of the piston walls bad

That's the same thing that happened to mine, I ended up replacing the engine last march