Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Pennsylvania Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f97/)
-   -   Door or no doors, that's my question!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f97/door-or-no-doors-thats-my-question-16419.html)

jake4r 03-09-2008 06:20 PM

Door or no doors, that's my question!!

Sorry for the cheesy title. Hey I was wondering if it's legal in PA to drive with your door's off. As tight a$$ed as this state is on everything else, I figured I better ask. Thanks.

orange05tj 03-09-2008 06:24 PM

as long as you have mirrors. Not sure what year you have, but they sell mirror relocate brackets or search around for what others have made.

orange05tj 03-09-2008 06:26 PM

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12010_72.htm

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a YJ. Hope this helps.

nicolas-eric 03-09-2008 06:36 PM

these mirrow brackets arenīt good. the passengers side mirrow is covered by the windshield frame with it.

orange05tj 03-09-2008 06:45 PM

Thats the only ones I found on quadracheck, Didn't even notice they were the combo ones.

Seryoga 03-10-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 203855)
as long as you have mirrors.

Thats what my friend (Philly cop) told me.

jake4r 03-10-2008 08:14 AM

Thanks everyone. I just bought my jeep last week so I'm about as new to this as you can get. Again, thanks.

YJmcgirt 03-13-2008 09:51 AM

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&word=mirrors

Check this out... Hope this is helpfull!

The best mirrors(without doors) that i ever had bolted to the hinge the door was mounted to. They were excellent, and easy to add/remove.

Good Luck!

priell3 03-24-2008 09:33 AM

From section 4534 of the vehicle code regarding rearview mirrors:

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle or combination on a highway unless the vehicle or combination is equipped with at least ONE mirror, or similar device, which provides the driver an unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle."

machomudslinger 03-30-2008 08:31 PM

According to a bunch of people that went to the Jeep show in York last year you must have your doors on. At least that is what their tickets said...

The Sos 03-30-2008 08:43 PM

I remember reading that in PA you need to have doors on. Peoples tickets were for removing factory equipment or something like that.

Sb5551 04-01-2008 11:48 AM

I live right outside of philadelphia, and I have never been pulled over for not having my doors on. Although, I do put my dog tags hanging from my rearview mirror. I am not exactly sure of the law, but it should be easy to fight in court. UPS trucks dont have doors or a rearview mirror. State inspection does not require doors, it only requires mirrors that are present to not be cracked or broken, and the inside handle of the door must not be broken trapping passengers inside. Ill drive witout my doors untill i get a ticket, then probabbly by the cheap mirrors that go in the door hinges when the doors off.

Buster 06-05-2008 09:05 PM

Technically, a cop can pull you for no doors. They have to be on if the Jeep came with them. Having said that, I have been running no doors in the summer for 7 years, and have never had an issue. It seems that if you are being an idiot, it gives the leo a reason to pull you over.

Tank29 07-25-2008 09:16 PM

I can answer this since I just had this happen to me a week ago...:mad:

You HAVE to run with doors on...Depending on the cop, they can/will write you up for what is a called a "Vehicle Inspection Code Violation"...It is a $98 fine and I have had a YJ, TJ, and now a JK and I have never had a problem and I had a local cop stop me in a parking lot when I was getting ready to leave my parking spot when he pulled in behind me...

GGA1759 09-19-2008 08:33 AM

Sounds likes the cop had a hard on for you. I've had my Jeep for 8 years and never had an issue. I live near Reading and there are a lot of Jeeps in the area. I've never seen a Jeep pulled over either

xxxxxxxxdavem 10-02-2008 04:43 AM

guys id dont think you need out side mirrors ? you have an interior REAR VIEW mirror. thats all u need to see behind you. my son is blind in his left eye and his license restrictions say HE must operate a vehicle with both out side mirrors but not everyone else.just my .02 worth

priell3 10-04-2008 01:14 PM

See my post, above. Code says one mirror.

Bugboy 01-30-2009 03:24 PM

from my understanding as a former inspection mechanic if the doors are removeable from the factory then they can be run without them. If they are modded so that they are removeable such as cherokees etc then they would be illegal. Has to be an option just like the top. you can take it off if it is meant to come on and off. If someone pulled me over for not having doors i would fight it in court.

gus54 01-30-2009 06:04 PM

We had this discussion a while back on Ohio laws, which also state you have to have at least one rear view mirror. But when I called the State Highway Patrol, they told me it has to be an exterior mirror. I think each cop interprets these laws the way he feels like.

Thread here:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f85/mirror-laws-21144.html

mxracer513 02-13-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugboy (Post 316618)
from my understanding as a former inspection mechanic if the doors are removeable from the factory then they can be run without them. If they are modded so that they are removeable such as cherokees etc then they would be illegal. Has to be an option just like the top. you can take it off if it is meant to come on and off. If someone pulled me over for not having doors i would fight it in court.

Wranger doors are like to soft top. If it's made to come off from the factory then you can do it on the steet, with proper mirrors of course :rolleyes:

EMS 34 20 02-23-2009 06:10 PM

:punk:I run tube doors w/stock mirrors on them my local State Police like to pull you over and hand out fines. I got pulled over in my CJ8 and the only way I got out of a ticket was the fact that I was a firefighter. I used a old set of soft door frames without the skins end of problem.

nater344 02-26-2009 10:28 AM

In my town in Western, PA the local cops will pull you over for no doors even with mirrors. The funny thing is I have never been pulled over for my tires sticking out 4.5 inches past the fender flares....weird!

jdhallissey 02-26-2009 04:17 PM

I am running no doors all summer rain or shine. Did last summer 2 I get some crazy looks from cops but never been pulled over. I am in IL tho. I could see getting pulled over if I was looking like I did or was about to or doing something wrong I have no problem with it. The government is just trying to make money now so anyway they can do it they will.

Sb5551 02-26-2009 10:01 PM

The wrangler is crash tested without doors, and it passed. Hence why the sucky but passing crash rating. This means it can be driven without doors, that is a federal law. It becomes illegal when looking at differant states mirror laws.

05GT-O.C.D. 02-27-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sb5551 (Post 331567)
The wrangler is crash tested without doors, and it passed. Hence why the sucky but passing crash rating. This means it can be driven without doors, that is a federal law. It becomes illegal when looking at differant states mirror laws.

Any link or documentation?

nater344 03-03-2009 07:57 AM

I think oldgus is correct...cops interpret the laws how they see it. Nothing is black and white anymore. I was talking to my buddy who is a cop in PA and he stated that they were told that it is illegal to run Jeeps without the doors.

jgano23 03-03-2009 08:21 AM

what if you have soft doors? the soft door is only a door in the sense that it opens and closes. there is no protection what-so-ever. what is the ruling on that?

gus54 03-03-2009 11:19 AM

To be on the safe side, I would give a call to the Pa Highway Patrol and ask them. I plan on doing that again to the OHP before summer as I also want to remove my doors.

I did a little searching and opinions definitly vary, even on law enforcement sites - thus supporting my original statement that it seems subjective. Some city cops said they were told to write tickets for doorles jeeps - and that was in Pa. Generally though, it sounds like it's okay with Wranglers, as opposed to Cherokees for example, because they are made from the factory to be easily removed - like the top. Just be sure to have a driver side mirror. I'd fight the ticket if I got one. I also read that Wranglers passed crash test ratings w/o doors. They didn't do well, but supposedly passed. FWIW

05GT-O.C.D. 03-03-2009 11:49 AM

Anyone know where I can find that info on the doorless jeep crash tests?

gus54 03-04-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 333671)
Anyone know where I can find that info on the doorless jeep crash tests?

Just to be clear - that was information I read by a forum poster on some LE site - nothing official. And I did some searching but all I could find myself was that the 09 Wrangler got a poor rating in side impact, but didn't specify if that meant only with doors on.

Getting my Wrangler t-boned is not something I want to experience - with or without doors.