Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Oversize spare (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/oversize-spare-164218.html)

Climb59 06-03-2012 01:42 AM

Oversize spare
 
Can I put a 31 on a stock spare tire mount? ( 04 tj)

Joker_114th 06-03-2012 07:51 AM

I have one on Mine,Dont see why you would have a problem......

krughzn 06-03-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb59
Can I put a 31 on a stock spare tire mount? ( 04 tj)

Yes. I've seen 35" tire on a stock mount. Blaine runs at least a 33" spare on his wife's Jeep.

blueskiesbill 06-03-2012 09:31 AM

So I can put a 33x12.5x15 on cragar soft 8's on my stock tire carrier?

BLK00TJ 06-03-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskiesbill (Post 2432042)
So I can put a 33x12.5x15 on cragar soft 8's on my stock tire carrier?

Yes, but you will need some hockey pucks and longer bolts to extend the stock rubber bumpers. You want to extend them out to help stabilize the tire and keep it from wobbling when you bounce around. Hockey pucks will run you about $1.50 a puck at Play it Again Sports. You'll need 5 of them. I'm not sure what the size and length bolt you'll need but I can measure on Tuesday.

snopro269 06-03-2012 09:51 AM

Why not just buy a $39.00 TeraFlex mount which spaces spare tire upwards and out. Good for 33 plus tire. If you go larger than 33 would recommend some sort of tailgate support.

Jerry Bransford 06-03-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snopro269 (Post 2432115)
Why not just buy a $39.00 TeraFlex mount which spaces spare tire upwards and out.

Bad idea. Such mounts increase the distance between the spare tire and where the mount is bolted to the tailgate which significantly increases the amount of leverage the spare tire has against the tail gate. When mounting bigger spare tires like that, it's always best to go with an aftermarket spare tire carrier. The factory tail gate just wasn't designed to support the weight of a 33" spare tire for long... especially if mounted further out which, again, would increase the tire's leverage against the tailgate and where the spare tire mount is bolted to it.

OL Sarge 06-03-2012 10:08 AM

I have 35s on my stock carrier

Jerry Bransford 06-03-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OL Sarge (Post 2432158)
I have 35s on my stock carrier

If that 35" spare is not also supported from below, like from the bumper in some manner, it won't be supported from your stock carrier for long.

BLK00TJ 06-03-2012 10:30 AM

I have my 33" mounted on the stock carrier and its fine for around town (with puck spacers). However, when I go offroad, it goes in the back strapped down. I wouldn't trust it with too much bouncing.

lindel 06-03-2012 11:46 AM

33" on mine for now, but I plan on getting a bumper/tire swing in the next few months.

snopro269 06-03-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Bad idea. Such mounts increase the distance between the spare tire and where the mount is bolted to the tailgate which significantly increases the amount of leverage the spare tire has against the tail gate. When mounting bigger spare tires like that, it's always best to go with an aftermarket spare tire carrier. The factory tail gate just wasn't designed to support the weight of a 33" spare tire for long... especially if mounted further out which, again, would increase the tire's leverage against the tailgate and where the spare tire mount is bolted to it.

That's why I said ALSO put on a support bracket!!!

snopro269 06-03-2012 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm actually running a 38 right now with a support bracket- Only in town and not Offroad !!
I'm waiting for a prototype of a major manufacture who is sending me a rear carrier for a test trail.
If you put a spacer like teraflex, with the proper support bracket you'll be fine for a 33 inch tire.
So Many people on forums are so quick to say
You must have this or you must have that.
I think you are looking for cheap temporary idea to get you by.

Climb59 06-04-2012 12:27 AM

Thanks all


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.