Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   CB Radios (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/cb-radios-164412.html)

DannyV 06-03-2012 09:36 PM

CB Radios

I am looking for a CB. I have never owned one but think it may be a good idea. Any and all ideas welcome.

bbtj 06-04-2012 07:24 AM

I have a Cobra 75 mounted behind the glove box, so it doesn't take up too much room. I bought a kit, so it came with a crappy external speaker, which I need to upgrade.

Vin 06-04-2012 11:03 AM

What kinda Jeep are you installing it into?

DannyV 06-04-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin
What kinda Jeep are you installing it into?

2012 JK - 2 door

InvertChaos 06-04-2012 01:13 PM

I like my Uniden 520xl. Its pretty small, simple, and fairly rugged.

DannyV 06-04-2012 04:40 PM

bbtj, I am leaning toward the 75, what don't you like about it? Are the negatives strong enough to think of another unit?

blkrubi88 06-04-2012 04:51 PM

I like my Corbra 29LTD with bluetooth.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...N/IMG_5607.jpg

MrSig 06-05-2012 04:43 AM

Cobra 75 WX ST for over 4 years now. :thumb:
http://www.aaof.us/images/cb.JPG

http://www.aaof.us/images/cba.jpg

nkcci 06-05-2012 07:22 AM

I installed an Uniden 510 over the weekend in a Jeep JKU Sport. It was easier than I thought it would be. I installed it under the passenger glove box and ran the coax under the passenger side to the rear, out the backdoor through the third break seal. I used a 4 ft firestik and a spare tire bracket I ordered from rugged ridge (quick shipping). The wanted to put it above the rear view mirror but saving that place for a amateur radio in the next year. I'm new to jeeps and wiring and was able to do it pretty quick.

bbtj 06-05-2012 07:38 AM

CB is fine

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyV (Post 2436490)
bbtj, I am leaning toward the 75, what don't you like about it? Are the negatives strong enough to think of another unit?

The CB itself is just fine. It's the crappy external speaker that came with it that sucks.

DannyV 06-05-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtj

The CB itself is just fine. It's the crappy external speaker that came with it that sucks.

Good to know. I assume there is a better upgrade.

DannyV 06-05-2012 10:58 AM

I am going to high jack my own thread for post or so... What is the difference between a CB and an amateur/ham radio?

Ibuildembig 06-05-2012 11:06 AM

Pretty much the same but you have to have a license for a ham radio, wont be able to talk to your buddies unless they have one, and its a hobby. CB is what you need for jeeping, or professional radios like we use.

DannyV 06-05-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig
Pretty much the same but you have to have a license for a ham radio, wont be able to talk to your buddies unless they have one, and its a hobby. CB is what you need for jeeping, or professional radios like we use.

10-4 - back to our regularly scheduled thread...

bbtj 06-06-2012 07:49 AM

Sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyV (Post 2439747)
Good to know. I assume there is a better upgrade.

I'm sure there is, just haven't really looked yet, since the only time I use it is when I go off-roading.

bandit12s 06-06-2012 09:34 AM

I too have the Cobra 75 for about a month now and love it! I like how small and how the control box can be easily hidden. Plus the weather feature down here in Florida is really nice for those afternoon storms!!

NorthwestTJ 06-06-2012 11:14 AM

I just got the cobra 75 (bbtj helped me a lot with figuring it all out). I love it. I got the package deal from rightchannelradios.com or something like that. I put the junction box behind the glove box and keep the radio in the center console until needed, which I then just plug the radio into the cord sticking out under my glove box. The kit came with the little speaker (as said before, kinda crappy, but it works), the cobra 75, 18 foot coax cable, and I chose the 3 foot firestick and passenger side tail light mount (since I have a TJ). It was worth the $220 or whatever the cost was. Easy to instal, easy to use onece you figure it out :thumb:

This was my first radio as well, so I had no idea what I was doing at first, but now I understand it. If you look up 'Cobra 75 WX ST' or whatever the radio is called you should be able to find my thread which I had a lot of questions that were answered on it. Might help you if youre interested in it.

mwashburn 06-06-2012 11:44 AM

Hey there good buddy... just kidding! I have a handheld CB that works just fine for comm on the trail

DannyV 06-06-2012 08:14 PM

I think I am going to go with the Cobra 75. Even though I like the look of the classic "box and mic" Saving myself the space and keeping the interior of my Wrangler uncluttered is important to me.

NorthwestTJ 06-06-2012 10:02 PM

Good choice. Plus it wont get stolen

bbtj 06-07-2012 04:23 PM

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwashburn (Post 2444132)
Hey there good buddy... just kidding! I have a handheld CB that works just fine for comm on the trail

You can go that route also. They work just fine if the only thing you use it for is off-roading. I would suggest getting another antenna for it, either a magnetic mount or one mounted outside the jeep. If you off-road where it is fairly clear of over hanging branches, you can use a magnetic mount. If there are a lot of over hanging branches, I would not suggest a magnetic mount, sometimes the branches will knock a magnetic mount off of the vehicle. So, then you have to stop and pick up the antenna and put it back on the vehicle.

Jodfie 06-07-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyV (Post 2439754)
I am going to high jack my own thread for post or so... What is the difference between a CB and an amateur/ham radio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2439778)

thats massively wrong....HAM radios operate off of different freqs are MUCH stronger(which is why you have to have a license) you can speak to people around the world easily on a HAM radio...it also requires a MUCH larger antenna and powerful equipment.... CB is the basically for longer range 2 way communication...basically made popular by truckers because there is no need to know what their name or any information about them to contact them(only need know their channel unless theyre on 9/19)

Futuresweets10 06-07-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodfie

thats massively wrong....HAM radios operate off of different freqs are MUCH stronger(which is why you have to have a license) you can speak to people around the world easily on a HAM radio...it also requires a MUCH larger antenna and powerful equipment.... CB is the basically for longer range 2 way communication...basically made popular by truckers because there is no need to know what their name or any information about them to contact them(only need know their channel unless theyre on 9/19)

Well, only kinda wrong. Most truckers don't use cb radios, they use ham radios that have been tuned to broadcast over cb frequencies. I've got a galaxy radio in my ford, which is one of the more common brands truckers use.

Jodfie 06-07-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuresweets10 (Post 2449495)
Well, only kinda wrong. Most truckers don't use cb radios, they use ham radios that have been tuned to broadcast over cb frequencies. I've got a galaxy radio in my ford, which is one of the more common brands truckers use.

can you provide proof of this? i have several friends in the hobby and NEVER heard of this....

also for others who want some general info Ultimate CB Radio Page – Information, regulation, frequencies, trucking companies, trucking jobs, trucking company reviews | TruckersReport.com

Futuresweets10 06-07-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

can you provide proof of this? i have several friends in the hobby and NEVER heard of this....

also for others who want some general info Ultimate CB Radio Page – Information, regulation, frequencies, trucking companies, trucking jobs, trucking company reviews | TruckersReport.com

Look up galaxy dx44. It will be listed as a 10 meter mobile radio. Dig a little deeper and you will find that it's a 10 meter mobile ham radio. A lot of guys call them "export radios" because they don't meet FCC requirements for the us thus have to be labeled for export only. They are manufactured for the cb market, but are still technically ham radios. Out of the box they don't have cb capabilities, but most cb shops will "crack" them for a few bucks. Do some research.

Jodfie 06-07-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Futuresweets10

Look up galaxy dx44. It will be listed as a 10 meter mobile radio. Dig a little deeper and you will find that it's a 10 meter mobile ham radio. A lot of guys call them "export radios" because they don't meet FCC requirements for the us thus have to be labeled for export only. They are manufactured for the cb market, but are still technically ham radios. Out of the box they don't have cb capabilities, but most cb shops will "crack" them for a few bucks. Do some research.

Talking with ham buddies and they have heard of them...my apologies...but they also agree that most truckers don't use them...

Futuresweets10 06-07-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Talking with ham buddies and they have heard of them...my apologies...but they also agree that most truckers don't use them...

I'd have to disagree. I've actually heard conversations over the radio where truckers are making fun of another for having a regular cb. Everytime I ask for a radio check I ask what the other driver is talking on. 9 outta 10 times it's a ham radio. Ask truckers that question, not ham radio guys.

07JEEPJK 06-07-2012 11:24 PM

I just installed my cobra 29 LTD this week. Very easy to install works great other than I cant get my antenna warning light to stay off no matter what I do

zwvirtual 06-08-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbtj (Post 2434909)
I have a Cobra 75 mounted behind the glove box, so it doesn't take up too much room. I bought a kit, so it came with a crappy external speaker, which I need to upgrade.

Same here.

The nice thing about this setup is that you can remove the CB when you're not using it (especially if you have your doors/top off) that way no one can steal it

bbtj 06-08-2012 07:53 AM

Not Familiar

Quote:

Originally Posted by 07JEEPJK (Post 2450630)
I just installed my cobra 29 LTD this week. Very easy to install works great other than I cant get my antenna warning light to stay off no matter what I do

I'm not familiar with the 29. So, what does the warning light indicate?