Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Michigan Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f86/)
-   -   Stock jeep at Silver Lake dunes? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f86/stock-jeep-at-silver-lake-dunes-164756.html)

Bart113000 06-05-2012 12:00 PM

Stock jeep at Silver Lake dunes?
 
I am looking into traveling to the Dunes, but I have a stock YJ. How will a stock YJ perform...is it worth the trip?

caseyjoe 06-05-2012 12:31 PM

Were planning on going this summer. I was told its worth going just to see the rooster tails and tricked out machines? I cant speak on it because i have never been, but the dunes seem like a HP game, but im sure it will be fun. Try and bring a quad if you can, that will insure fun. Good luck, let us know how it went.

phittie1100 06-05-2012 01:28 PM

Go and have fun. Just need to adjust your tire pressure appropriately.

StingRay66 06-05-2012 06:02 PM

I used to take my stock 1/2 ton GMC pickup there every year with 12 or 13 lbs of air I could go most places

SandmanTJ 06-06-2012 07:29 PM

You can take a stock jeep up there and have a great time for sure. Air down your tires to about 10 pounds and you'll climb most anything. Just remember with your tires aired down dont do any donut's it will break the tire bead loose for sure. Also just in case no one had mentioned it to you you'll need a dune flag. They have to be mounted on the front and they have them for sale at several places there.
Hope this helped a little

StingRay66 06-07-2012 09:18 AM

And Never, never, never just drive of into a water hole without knowing how deep it is cause a motor full water will cost lots money!!!!

Gogolen 06-07-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay66 (Post 2447767)
And Never, never, never just drive of into a water hole without knowing how deep it is cause a motor full water will cost lots money!!!!

But could serve as just the excuse needed for a well deserved motor swap :thumb:

SandmanTJ 06-07-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay66 (Post 2447767)
And Never, never, never just drive of into a water hole without knowing how deep it is cause a motor full water will cost lots money!!!!

Very true those "little" water holes have swallowed many jeeps and truck's.

sevenservices 06-08-2012 07:29 AM

I read somewhere else on the forum never to air down lower than 15 psi unless you have bead lockers. Is that true for sand to? Or would 10 be appropriate?

The Korean 06-08-2012 08:10 AM

I ran my BFG's on stock Rubi wheels somewhere around 10-12 psi a couple of weeks ago. A stock Jeep should do perfectly fine. It's all in the tire air pressure. I ran around the first day in 4 high (with the rear locker enabled... Rubi model), but the next two days I ran in either 2 high with the rear locker enabled or just 2 high and still had a blast... actually had more fun in 2wd than in 4wd. Only used 4 low if I dug it in Deep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay66 (Post 2447767)
And Never, never, never just drive of into a water hole without knowing how deep it is cause a motor full water will cost lots money!!!!

+1... there's a water hole in the trees/brush area by the drag area that looks but a few inches deep. Let me tell you, A Ford diesel went through with a 8-12" lift on 38-40 in tires and the water came up to the floorboard...:eek:

EDIT: Found the water hole in my photobucket... I think that Jeep had a 3.5 or 4 on 33's or 35's... I can never remember...:facepalm:

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...74996877_n.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandmanTJ (Post 2445890)
Just remember with your tires aired down dont do any donut's it will break the tire bead loose for sure.

I beg to differ... :hide:

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...59654537_n.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/r...77868840_n.jpg

SandmanTJ 06-08-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 2451084)
I read somewhere else on the forum never to air down lower than 15 psi unless you have bead lockers. Is that true for sand to? Or would 10 be appropriate?


15 is the minimum there is even a sign posted stating that. You'll be fine at 10 psi :thumb:

phittie1100 06-08-2012 10:46 AM

Every tire/truck combo has a happy spot, where all of a sudden it works 1000% better than it did +/- a couple of psi. My wife's stock 4dr JK running the factory Goodyear Wrangler SRA radials was happy at 15, my LJ with 33x10.50 BFG is happiest around 10-12, and my old YJ with MT MTX in a 33x12.50 flavor wouldn't go anywhere unless the pressure was 8-10. My buddy Bob in his well-built 6,000+ pound H2 runs 20-22 in his tires.

Keep in mind too that once you find the right pressure, your tires will heat up after use and you may need to re-adjust your warm pressure.

sevenservices 06-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phittie1100 (Post 2451639)
Every tire/truck combo has a happy spot, where all of a sudden it works 1000% better than it did +/- a couple of psi. My wife's stock 4dr JK running the factory Goodyear Wrangler SRA radials was happy at 15, my LJ with 33x10.50 BFG is happiest around 10-12, and my old YJ with MT MTX in a 33x12.50 flavor wouldn't go anywhere unless the pressure was 8-10. My buddy Bob in his well-built 6,000+ pound H2 runs 20-22 in his tires.

Keep in mind too that once you find the right pressure, your tires will heat up after use and you may need to re-adjust your warm pressure.

Thanks Bro! :punk:

StingRay66 06-08-2012 07:47 PM

I run 285 x 16 Coopers and I run as low as 8 psi but I don't run extra hard....most of the time anyway

TommyT 06-13-2012 08:46 PM

Ran up there last summer, bone stock SRAs aired down to 15#. Had a blast, no problems. Go on a weekday if you can, weekends tend to be quite crowded during the summer! Use common sense and you will be fine!

krazyg 06-14-2012 08:36 AM

Common Sense...Please I own A Jeep :)

TommyT 06-15-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyg (Post 2471636)
Common Sense...Please I own A Jeep :)

OK, so do I. And your point is? When I was a lot ypounger(35 years ago), I was out there in my CJ5, not a care in the world, going anywhere I wanted. Went over a dune without checking the other side first and went over a drop off and rolled it end for end. Just sayin, common sense goes a long way!!!

StingRay66 06-16-2012 10:55 AM

:doh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 2451084)
I read somewhere else on the forum never to air down lower than 15 psi unless you have bead lockers. Is that true for sand to? Or would 10 be appropriate?

I think the 75% system is a good place to start because all tires are different measure the sidewall ground to wheel - say 4 inches - then are down until sidewall is 75% of original - 3 inches - I run a cooper 285 75 16 and I run as low as 8 psi at the dunes but i am careful when cornering

mcgee10 06-19-2012 07:52 AM

So I learned something else about airing down my tires.

Now I need to ask after I air down and drive around for the day. What about getting back on the road to drive home. Or am I going to gas station for air?

phittie1100 06-19-2012 11:49 AM

If you are talking about Silver Lake, then you head out the exit and immediately turn right into the parking area at David Allen Racing. They have free air - make sure you stop in and buy something from them once in a while so they keep it free!

Other than at Silver Lake, you generally end up riding on mushy tires until you get to a gas station, or find a friend with on board air or a CO2 tank.

cjtheodo 07-06-2012 12:55 PM

bigger tires not necessarily better
 
1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would tear it up with this but that was not the case. I made it up the steep part of test hill once. and that was with a running start wide open and hitting the bottom at about 50 and I still got stuck at the crest. I put in 4 lo and locked and barely crawled over. It seemed like I just didn't have enough power to turn the 35" km2s. Embarrassingly enough the stock jeeps that were there all seemed to just walk up the steepest hills. Has 5.13 gears, and started with air down to 12 and then after repeatedly getting stuck went down to 8. Didn't seem to help. I still had fun and could climb most everything else but it was obvious that a stock jeep w/ smaller tires did better.

phittie1100 07-09-2012 04:37 PM

Stick or an auto? My 5sp YJ would make it to exactly the same spot on test hill each try, no matter what gear/t-case combination I tried. 1st trip in my wife's auto we blasted to the top like it was always meant to be.

I hated backing down the hill. And by the 4th or 5th time for the day I REALLY hated backing down that hill.

Mattsn002 07-17-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjtheodo (Post 2551839)
I thought I would tear it up with this but that was not the case. I made it up the steep part of test hill once. and that was with a running start wide open and hitting the bottom at about 50 and I still got stuck at the crest. I put in 4 lo and locked and barely crawled over. It seemed like I just didn't have enough power to turn the 35" km2s. Embarrassingly enough the stock jeeps that were there all seemed to just walk up the steepest hills. Has 5.13 gears, and started with air down to 12 and then after repeatedly getting stuck went down to 8. Didn't seem to help. I still had fun and could climb most everything else but it was obvious that a stock jeep w/ smaller tires did better.


Mud terrain's ??? you may not be "floating on the sand" as an old silver lake pro told me too much aggressive tread and you sink.

WiDoWmAkEr 11-15-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 2478067)
OK, so do I. And your point is? When I was a lot ypounger(35 years ago), I was out there in my CJ5, not a care in the world, going anywhere I wanted. Went over a dune without checking the other side first and went over a drop off and rolled it end for end. Just sayin, common sense goes a long way!!!

I also did this last summer... The face of the hill looked fine until I went over the crest and it dropped off 3ft. Luckily we were only going about 5mph but it could have been really bad. The kids got whiplash and the wife wanted to shoot me. Lesson learned I guess.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.