Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone regret getting a manual? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-regret-getting-a-manual-164787.html)

dhdad 06-05-2012 02:07 PM

Anyone regret getting a manual?

My wife has a 2007 Rubicon JKU with the automatic transmission. I'm looking to pick up a 2012 or 2013 and have been thinking of getting a manual. Test drove one and only thing I didn't like was how the shifter vibrated like crazy on bumps in the road, kind of like a manual big rig. Maybe that's part of the whole Jeep experience:thumb:

Positives for a manual:

Nobody will borrow my Jeep since nobody else I know (other than my wife) knows how to drive a stick anymore. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper.

Positives for automatic:

Easier to tow with, especially backing the trailer into tight spots. Gear chart for Pentastar shows the automatic can handle a slightly bigger tire than the Manual for the same gears, exact opposite for the 3.8. Could get a remote starter but that's not really necessary as these Jeep engines warm up real quick in the winter.

JReed615 06-05-2012 02:13 PM

I don't regret it at all, but I drive a TJ. My shifter doesn't vibrate a lot though.. Maybe that's a JK thing, or it was just that Jeep

panthermark 06-05-2012 02:13 PM

I've been tip-toeing around this question in certain threads...but didn't want to start a new one about this specific topic.

It would be nice to hear from those that have the manuals and if they really don't the manual in the Jeep. I think manuals are awesome (and am looking at a 2-door 6 speed), but outside of the cool factor, I have not heard anyone say anything.....positive.....about the 6 speed in the Wrangler.

:popcorn:

daggo66 06-05-2012 02:14 PM

No regrets. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Walkingstick 06-05-2012 02:17 PM

I drive a standard transmission but then again.... Mine is a TJ and I love it. I prefer standard transmissions because I like to be in absolute control of my vehicle. Plus I like teaching girls, whom love Wranglers, how to drive a 5speed/standard transmission.

KittyPrawn 06-05-2012 02:17 PM

I regret my man getting a manual Jeep because I can't drive it. Does that count?

VaderJK12 06-05-2012 02:17 PM

Nope. Love it.

JReed615 06-05-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn
I regret my man getting a manual Jeep because I can't drive it. Does that count?

Maybe that is why he got a manual! Haha

VaderJK12 06-05-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn (Post 2440528)
I regret my man getting a Jeep because I can't drive it. Does that count?

My fiance is in the same boat as you. She wishes I got an auto.

ndrugby 06-05-2012 02:22 PM

I don't regret it one bit. I like driving a manual and hadn't done so since my last Jeep 9 years prior. I don't tow a lot so that's not an issue. I do have a remote starter with a manual mode on it, so that's possible after market.

I've had no issues with it. No popping out of gear. The vibration doesn't seem that intense to me.

And I too like that almost no one other than my wife or I can drive it.

The downside: city driving can be rough at times, but that's a manual problem, not a Jeep manual problem.

As for the gearing charts, the difference between the manual and the auto on the Pentastar is very small. However, the 3.8L had a huge difference.

KittyPrawn 06-05-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 2440533)
Maybe that is why he got a manual! Haha

Hah! He was actually going to get an automatic so I could drive it, but I talked him out of it because he really wanted a manual. That's a poor situation for me, because I won't be getting mine until later in the year...

However, it ends up being a poor situation for him... because I want to ride in the Jeep all the time, so he doesn't get to enjoy beer with his meals. :rofl:

steve66 06-05-2012 02:34 PM

I have always been a big fan of stick shift, 1 car in the last 20 years i have owned has been auto, and that lasted me 6 months before i traded it for my current Jeep. To me it just adds to the excitment of driving.

mxman122 06-05-2012 02:35 PM

No regrets at all..... However I work from the house and don't have to deal with traffic. I might add my 2 teenage kids dont drive stick :angel::angel:

MTH 06-05-2012 02:36 PM

I have a manual, and won't get anything else. No regrets. :thumb:

daggo66 06-05-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn (Post 2440528)

It couldn't be easier to learn on a Wranger!

kjeeper10 06-05-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

X10

With a better suspension setup and shocks my shifter shakes less

oliver_jeep 06-05-2012 02:39 PM

Are you talking about the stick between the two front seats that stops my wife from taking my car? ... nope no regrets...

JayHawker45 06-05-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 2440508)
I've been tip-toeing around this question in certain threads...but didn't want to start a new one about this specific topic.

It would be nice to hear from those that have the manuals and if they really don't the manual in the Jeep. I think manuals are awesome (and am looking at a 2-door 6 speed), but outside of the cool factor, I have not heard anyone say anything.....positive.....about the 6 speed in the Wrangler.

:popcorn:

I have a 2011 JK Rubicon with 6 spd manual--absolutely love it! Honestly, didn't even mind driving through Savannah or Atlanta traffic. There is something cathartic about driving a manual transmission. I personally like the control, or illusion of control, a manual gives me. Plus, with the 6spd transmission and 4.10 gearing, I don't even feel that my 3.8 is anemic at all! :dance:

FuzzyJK 06-05-2012 02:41 PM

Nope then again i feel alot more confertable driving a manaul its what i drive to me the transmission you are confertable with will benefit you the most dont buy a stick becuase you think it will do more or something then an auto. i get the shake to when i hit bumps shifter bangs around but never popped out of gear the shifter is directly into the trans? ive never driven anything like that so i attribute it to trans moves the shifter will to

wile_coyote 06-05-2012 02:45 PM

Nope, don't regret either of mine. I would have regretted getting the auto instead especially since my wife won't drive an automatic anymore.

Rio 06-05-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhdad (Post 2440482)
Test drove one and only thing I didn't like was how the shifter vibrated like crazy on bumps in the road, kind of like a manual big rig. Maybe that's part of the whole Jeep experience:thumb:

Thats because you are directly connected to the drive train. No wimpy cables here! Definitely part of the Jeep experience.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pi...0_transmission

That said, the Auto is really good, it all comes down to how much you like to really be in control.

Dylanjwhall 06-05-2012 02:57 PM

I do when I sit in traffic in philly and going back home to dc but other than that I love it

JeepCreeper 06-05-2012 02:58 PM

I have a 2000 Sport 5sp manual. I love it. But, for extreme offroading (rock crawling, very slow, deep waters...), or leg day at the gym, I would prefer an auto.

landi jeep 06-05-2012 02:59 PM

I think that this thread would have been better served by an opinion poll.

I do not regret getting a manual.

However, if your stick shift technique is sub par. You are in for a challenge.

I8up 06-05-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2440513)

What he Said ^...I have said this in other threads, however, i want this thing as close to my CJ as possible (obviously my CJ was manual)...

kjeeper10 06-05-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landi jeep
I think that this thread would have been better served by an opinion poll.

I do not regret getting a manual.

However, if your stick shift technique is sub par. You are in for a challenge.

Opinion polls bring these :popcorn:

ZombieClownZ 06-05-2012 03:11 PM

I live in Los Angeles (big time traffic), but don't tow anything. And I bought a new 2012 JK, 6-speed manual about a month ago.

Pure happiness. After driving an automatic car for 3 year, the manual Jeep is just amazing. I love every aspect of it.

BigGreenMachine 06-05-2012 03:13 PM

You can get remote start for manual trams also!

Blastek 06-05-2012 03:15 PM

I wouldn't ever regret getting a manual, because I hate autos. The 6 speed is sloppy, clunky, and does make some interesting noises, but it's still more fun than any auto. The clutch is light, so traffic isn't a big issue. Too bad there's no 2-low, it'd be pretty cool to crawl in stop and go. The manual does seem get a bit easier to drive after the first 500 miles due to the sharper throttle response.

Having said that, i really think the auto is a good option if you don't love driving stick. It's probably the only automatic vehicle that i'd consider owning, other than a minivan.

Megafriday 06-05-2012 03:15 PM

No regrets here. Love the manual gearbox and love the fact it shifts like an '84 U-Haul truck or similar utilitarian vehicle