Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Hitch Cargo Carriers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hitch-cargo-carriers-165496.html)

Pomz623 06-08-2012 07:07 PM

Hitch Cargo Carriers
 
I did not get the trailer hitch when I bought it, will this support a lot of weight if i load the carrier with alot of gear.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11580.10 Rear Hitch: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-10420...lh_ni_thttp://

kjeeper10 06-08-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomz623
I did not get the trailer hitch when I bought it, will this support a lot of weight if i load the carrier with alot of gear.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11580.10 Rear Hitch: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-10420...lh_ni_thttp://

That looks like the stock hinge I believe

0II1II0 06-08-2012 08:45 PM

From the Amazon reviews of the carrier:
"Buyer beware of the potential of fire starting from the cars' exhaust onto the cargo on this carrier. I purchased this carrier for my 2004 Honda CRV for a trip from New Mexico to Utah. I was pleased with the distance between the vehicle and carrier as there was room to place my totes and suitcase even with the spare tire mounted on the back of the vehicle. After strapping down the load I had only driven about 60 miles when I noticed wisps of smoke trailing after me on the freeway, by then it was too late. Although everything living, people and dogs, got out, my car burned to the ground along with everything in it and on the carrier. So like I said - buyer beware of the potential danger!" Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Highland 1042000 Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

Pomz623 06-08-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0II1II0 (Post 2453374)
From the Amazon reviews of the carrier:
"Buyer beware of the potential of fire starting from the cars' exhaust onto the cargo on this carrier. I purchased this carrier for my 2004 Honda CRV for a trip from New Mexico to Utah. I was pleased with the distance between the vehicle and carrier as there was room to place my totes and suitcase even with the spare tire mounted on the back of the vehicle. After strapping down the load I had only driven about 60 miles when I noticed wisps of smoke trailing after me on the freeway, by then it was too late. Although everything living, people and dogs, got out, my car burned to the ground along with everything in it and on the carrier. So like I said - buyer beware of the potential danger!" Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Highland 1042000 Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

I dont know. I have a hard time believing this could happen. Or he set it up really stupid and something fell over the exhaust pipe

bjc24v 06-09-2012 12:18 AM

I just ordered the same hitch. I'm sure it will hold up well. If u have any worries just swap out the bolts they sent with stronger ones for that extra peace of mind. As far a the cargo rack goes... I can't see a fire happening unless u have the straight out after market exhaust... Stock jeep exhaust point towards the ground. But I'm sure stranger things have happen.

CiDZillA 06-09-2012 10:38 AM

I am actually going to be getting that same Rugged Ridge hitch and trying to decide which of these two cargo carriers to get.

Amazon.com: 500 lbs Excess Steel Cargo Carrier 2" Hitch Mount Car Suv Luggage Basket: Automotive

Amazon.com: 50"x20" Heavy Duty 2" Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler RV SUV: Automotive

I like them both because they sit up higher which is a good thing for many reasons, including reducing a potential fire hazard. I really only need them for extra cooler and camp chair space.

nvkid 06-09-2012 10:56 AM

A hitch on the front might be handy.

09Sahara4X4 06-18-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid (Post 2454813)
A hitch on the front might be handy.

Thats a great look/idea. Did you fabricate or buy this?... How does it mount?...Any details or added pics would be handy

Vroooom 06-18-2012 11:27 PM

I fabricated my front hitch.
$20 bolt-on receiver from Harbor Freight
$40 3/16" plate
4ea 5/8" bolts (overkill to look impressive)
1 rattle can of bed-liner
receiver pentle from Tractor Supply...I think it was $24

All mounted to the top of my Factory plastic front bumper

I primarily use it to maneuver trailers, etc SHORT distances (under 300 feet) on smooth level pavement.
It Also handles cargo rack with 48qt ice-chest (opening to rear) and two jerry-cans. and other crap that I never need but seem to enjoy hauling into the boonies.

All soon to be replaced with a Bestop High Rock / High Access bumper once my piggy bank is plump enough to slaughter...again.

pasteris71 06-19-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroooom
I fabricated my front hitch.
$20 bolt-on receiver from Harbor Freight
$40 3/16" plate
4ea 5/8" bolts (overkill to look impressive)
1 rattle can of bed-liner
receiver pentle from Tractor Supply...I think it was $24

All mounted to the top of my Factory plastic front bumper

I primarily use it to maneuver trailers, etc SHORT distances (under 300 feet) on smooth level pavement.
It Also handles cargo rack with 48qt ice-chest (opening to rear) and two jerry-cans. and other crap that I never need but seem to enjoy hauling into the boonies.

All soon to be replaced with a Bestop High Rock / High Access bumper once my piggy bank is plump enough to slaughter...again.

Pics?

gixxerphil 06-19-2012 03:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would get the aluminum carrier from HF, it will hold 500lbs.
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

1manWolfpack 06-19-2012 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with this one (ordered from Qtec)
Hidden Hitch 63153 - Hidden Hitch Class III Basket Carrier - Quadratec

Rated for 500lbs, and the sides are great tie down/bungee points. Really like the angled frame as well which helps for ground clearance.

All depends on the size you want. The one above from HF is 49x22, while this one is 61.5 x 25.5.

Vroooom 06-19-2012 09:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pasteris71

Pics?

Pics

TwinThumbs 06-19-2012 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is black steel one from harbor freight

Cosmic Charlie 06-20-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09Sahara4X4 (Post 2488256)
Thats a great look/idea. Did you fabricate or buy this?... How does it mount?...Any details or added pics would be handy

I was thinking strongly about doing this as well...if you Google "Wrangler Front hitch" you get a bunch of resluts. eTrailer has a couple - both look nice, but I'd like also like feedback from those that run this set up..

Front Mount Trailer Hitch for 2012 Jeep Wrangler | etrailer.com

TommyT 06-20-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomz623 (Post 2453080)
I did not get the trailer hitch when I bought it, will this support a lot of weight if i load the carrier with alot of gear.

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11580.10 Rear Hitch: Automotive

Amazon.com: Highland 1042000 Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier: Automotive

Just remember that the weight you carry in a reiever cargo basket is limited by your revievers max tonque weight rating.(IE If your reciever is rated for a max 250# tonque rating then that is the max you should load in your cargo basket).

DakotaBuck 06-20-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiDZillA (Post 2454756)
I am actually going to be getting that same Rugged Ridge hitch and trying to decide which of these two cargo carriers to get.

Amazon.com: 500 lbs Excess Steel Cargo Carrier 2" Hitch Mount Car Suv Luggage Basket: Automotive

Amazon.com: 50"x20" Heavy Duty 2" Hitch Mounted Cargo Basket Luggage Carrier Hauler RV SUV: Automotive

I like them both because they sit up higher which is a good thing for many reasons, including reducing a potential fire hazard. I really only need them for extra cooler and camp chair space.


Aren't we missing the big picture here? What good is a cargo basket rated for 500 lbs, if your hitch/Jeep is only rated for 200lbs tongue weight? both of the above baskets weigh 30+lbs, which only leaves 170lbs of cargo capacity.

Here's the fine print from the Rugged Ridge Hitch:
we built our hitch receiver to match the towing capacity of your Jeep: 3,500-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2000-lb tow rating, 200-lb tongue weight rating

Here's the fine print from the cargo basket:
With a 5000 lb. rated receiver the cargo carrier can carry a maximum 500 lb. load, with a 3500 lb. rated receiver it
can carry a maximum 300 lb. load. DO NOT EXCEED lower of vehicle mfg’s or hitch mfg’s maximum tongue
weight rating.


CiDZillA should be fine because he "really only needs them for extra cooler and camp chair", but lets be clear, you can't carry 500lbs on the back of your Jeep.

Vroooom 06-22-2012 08:02 AM

My personal recommendation is that even if you find or build a front or rear cargo trey that can support a bajillion pounds....I suggest staying under 300 pounds.

I find that my JKU with 400 pounds loaded over the axle handles differently. If you move that weight behind the rear axle (fulcrum)...then it starts acting as a counter-balance and reduces weight (traction) from the front axle. The more weight...the longer the "lever" the more issues you will have with handling.

Similarly...if you stick 500 pound out the nose of your Jeep, you will be putting significant added strain to the front suspension which will have minimal effect on level smooth surfaces...but any flexing force will be magnified.

Weight AND Balance

Besides...its pretty hard to fit more than 300 pounds on a 24x48 cargo rack....that is unless you are hauling around gold bullion or something like that.

Again, just my opinion...but I wouldnt fixate on the weight capacity as much as finding a design that fits your wants/needs and decent construction.

I really like the adapters that allow the Cargo rack to fold upwards when not in use so that you arent running around with a ba-dunka-dunk hanging out there behind ya. Just be sure it'll clear the spare.

JeffC 07-29-2012 10:33 AM

Haul-Master from Harbor Freight
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil (Post 2488706)
I would get the aluminum carrier from HF, it will hold 500lbs.
Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity

I just bought the same one yesterday at HF for a family road trip to Sedona. Assembly is tedious. Should have used my air ratchet.

I intended to buy this one Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity however the suitcases my wife bought are 1" too wide. This model's bolts decrease the interior diameter.

Ruby2004 08-06-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manWolfpack (Post 2489000)
I went with this one (ordered from Qtec)
Hidden Hitch 63153 - Hidden Hitch Class III Basket Carrier - Quadratec

Rated for 500lbs, and the sides are great tie down/bungee points. Really like the angled frame as well which helps for ground clearance.

All depends on the size you want. The one above from HF is 49x22, while this one is 61.5 x 25.5.

I concerned this one will not clear my spare tire (33 X12.5). Does anyone know if this model will clear.

R4D4R 08-06-2012 02:12 PM

You can always get a hitch extension/drop. Thats what I did for my bike rack that didnt clear the spare. They are around $20-40 depending on what you need. Note: Be aware that the extension will reduce the max weight as someone above mentioned (longer distance from fulcrum = more torque)

bflank 08-06-2012 02:27 PM

The only mishap I have seen with a hitch carrier was on a "crossover" that was carrying supplies for a Sea Cadet field exercise. The two tubs on the outboard ends were getting heated by the dual exhausts. The tubs were seriously melted on the corner closest to the exhaust but fortunately the MRE's inside were undamaged - YUM! If the contents had been flammable, then no doubt badness could have resulted.

Medic005 08-10-2012 08:08 PM

Here's mine, just a basic eBay one that was $70 shipped, 500lbs.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/5543e40e.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/66bc925d.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/8ea58919.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/e971b17d.jpg

bostongmw 11-14-2012 06:09 PM

I went with this one (ordered from Qtec)
Hidden Hitch 63153 - Hidden Hitch Class III Basket Carrier - Quadratec

Rated for 500lbs, and the sides are great tie down/bungee points. Really like the angled frame as well which helps for ground clearance.

All depends on the size you want. The one above from HF is 49x22, while this one is 61.5 x 25.5. I went with this one (ordered from Qtec)
Hidden Hitch 63153 - Hidden Hitch Class III Basket Carrier - Quadratec


I want this one also; does it clear the tire when hooked up so you can fully load it?

1manWolfpack 06-14-2013 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manWolfpack (Post 2489000)
I went with this one (ordered from Qtec)
Hidden Hitch 63153 - Hidden Hitch Class III Basket Carrier - Quadratec

Rated for 500lbs, and the sides are great tie down/bungee points. Really like the angled frame as well which helps for ground clearance.

All depends on the size you want. The one above from HF is 49x22, while this one is 61.5 x 25.5.

Finally remembered to take some photos of this on my Jeep. You can really see the great ground clearance you have with this thing. Also, sorry to the poster above, haven't looked at this thread in a long time and didn't see the question.

SBL 06-15-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid (Post 2454813)
A hitch on the front might be handy.

What carrier is that?? I like the inside being open like that.

Barmanvarn 06-15-2013 09:47 AM

I borrowed my dads rear carrier last weekend as I needed it in a pinch. Served it purpose but I can say I will never use one again, for several reasons

First I can't open my rear gate without removing the carrier. Secondly I don't like putting extra weight that far behind the rear tires. Thirdly, I don't like how far it sticks out. If you go even mildly off road with it it kills your departure angle.

I'm either getting one that mounts above the spare or will get a safari rack that is easily removable.

gillbot 06-15-2013 08:57 PM

I ordered this one the other day: Outland Receiver Rack Black 20" x 60"

laollis 06-15-2013 09:20 PM

Got this one for $42.99 with HF coupon. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...ier-66983.html

fyr 08-12-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manWolfpack (Post 3861853)
Finally remembered to take some photos of this on my Jeep. You can really see the great ground clearance you have with this thing. Also, sorry to the poster above, haven't looked at this thread in a long time and didn't see the question.

This is the one I have. Used it on my 09 Grand Vitara.. Picking up my Jeep in 3 days, so Im glad you posted that pic..It looks like a great fit.. That said, itll be like the vitara as Ill have to pack the jeep remembering the door wont open till the rack is empty.. Now I have to research what hitch to buy (not planning on trailer towing- just bikes, coolers and the odd thing)
Any hitch advice- Mopar? Others?
cheers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.