Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Teraflex leveling kit install: NEED ADVICE (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/teraflex-leveling-kit-install-need-advice-165882.html)

CollinC 06-10-2012 06:34 PM

Teraflex leveling kit install: NEED ADVICE
 
So my teraflex leveling kit is coming in tomorrow, and me and a buddy are planning to install it sometime in the afternoon. I haven't ever worked on a jeep so it's all new to me, as I have only owned my jeep for a few weeks now. Any idea if there is any specialty tools required for this install? And things I need to know before going into it so that I don't have to deal with any unwanted bullshit? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

kjeeper10 06-10-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinC
So my teraflex leveling kit is coming in tomorrow, and me and a buddy are planning to install it sometime in the afternoon. I haven't ever worked on a jeep so it's all new to me, as I have only owned my jeep for a few weeks now. Any idea if there is any specialty tools required for this install? And things I need to know before going into it so that I don't have to deal with any unwanted bullshit? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

19-22 mm sockets (CA's/TB's)
Full set of combo wrenches
Torque wrench
2 jack stands/jack
Impact helps a ton but not necessary.

Look up the Teraflex install for a budget boost on YouTube. They pretty much go over everything.

Take your time and remember SAFETY first :)

4x4n 06-10-2012 06:43 PM

I'll add that a bottle jack for the pushing in the rear pucks is the way to go. I'm a pretty big guy and couldn't push them in myself. With the bottle jack it's cake.

ESP 06-10-2012 06:48 PM

^ This and beer is for after the install not during.

kjeeper10 06-10-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4n
I'll add that a bottle jack for the pushing in the rear pucks is the way to go. I'm a pretty big guy and couldn't push them in myself. With the bottle jack it's cake.

Oh ya.... Those. We had a hell of a time with the rear spacers. Lube them up lol

4fit 06-10-2012 06:56 PM

Here's a quick post I threw together of how I installed mine. Very easy install.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ter...ml#post2215246

CollinC 06-10-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
Here's a quick post I threw together of how I installed mine. Very easy install.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ter...ml#post2215246

Thank you!

JOCJK 06-11-2012 01:14 PM

Collin, I'll be doing this shortly as well and I'm in about the same boat as you. I'd like to hear how the install went for you and what tricks as a rookie you might have picked up.

CollinC 06-11-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Ninja9600
Collin, I'll be doing this shortly as well and I'm in about the same boat as you. I'd like to hear how the install went for you and what tricks as a rookie you might have picked up.

Absolutely! I'd love to fill you in! I'm going to be doing it this evening with a buddy who has 2 built tj's.. Thinkin he may be a big help but he's never worked on a JK so we are both new to it. I'll def take before/after pics as well as pics during for a potential write up. I'll let you know, and good luck with your install!

Cheers!!

misturg 06-11-2012 01:30 PM

Just did it on Friday.

1. Front:Remove the 10mm bolt on the brake line frame bracket AND the one for the bracket on the axle.

2. Front: Loosen the steering arm bolt, it will help it drop down more.

3. Rear: disconnect the breather hose

4. Rear: unhook the E-break cables from the bracket which is above and forward of the muffler.

5. Rear: use a 2x4 or 4x4 about 10inches long to wedge between the spacers and the axle. Then use a jack to force them up into place.

6. Rear: Pop off the cable tie which holds the ABS wires to the frame.

7. Front: pull down the breather hose, driver side, about 4 inches. There are clips on it which u will have to keep an eye on.

8. Both: once you have everything disconnected, don't be afraid to put your weight down on the side your working on to get the spring back in.

9. Front: install the grease fittings and grease the sway-bar links befor installing them. Just makes things easier.

P.S. The above is in no real order, just the order I thought of them.

Good luck.

CollinC 06-12-2012 10:03 AM

Well all done! Looks much better(: I will post before and after pics sometime tonight after work. The directions from teraflex are shit, and it took me quite a while to do everything, mostly because I've never worked on my jeep before so everything was new to me. Only bad thing is that my jeep is way off alignment now ):

dhdad 06-12-2012 11:55 AM

I thought I had read somewhere that a spring compression tool was recommended? Looking at these posts it seems unnecessary?

So the install of spacers throws off the alignment?

jlr551cfd 06-12-2012 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did my TF leveling kit yesterday too! Just under two hours, in my driveway, hand tools only! I guess i got really lucky as I had no issues. I did consult the AEV kits instrustions as well as the youtube vid from TF.

jlr551cfd 06-12-2012 12:03 PM

And i forgot to add, i had no alignment issues nor did my steering wheel need to be adjusted... i did loosen the control arm bolts (upper and lower) and removed the lower bolt from the track bar... hope that helps!

CollinC 06-12-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlr551cfd
And i forgot to add, i had no alignment issues nor did my steering wheel need to be adjusted... i did loosen the control arm bolts (upper and lower) and removed the lower bolt from the track bar... hope that helps!

How do you adjust the steering wheel? Mines slightly off to the right

dhdad 06-12-2012 12:47 PM

So the TF leveling kit adds 1" to the rear and 2" to the front and it can do this without requiring new shocks or extension brackets? The stock JKU shocks have enough extra travel that they won't top out with this kit?

Wharfrat 06-12-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinC (Post 2464569)
How do you adjust the steering wheel? Mines slightly off to the right

Make sure steering wheel is not locked.

Loosen the 2 clamps on the drag link and turn the sleeve.

The drag link is the part of the steering linkage coming off of the pitman arm.

4fit 06-12-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinC (Post 2464569)
How do you adjust the steering wheel? Mines slightly off to the right

Takes about 5 minutes total, though you may have to give it a couple of attempts to get it perfect.
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

jlr551cfd 06-12-2012 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinC

How do you adjust the steering wheel? Mines slightly off to the right

This is what youre looking for... i think its 15 mm!

Attachment 131175



Attachment 131175

4fit 06-12-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhdad (Post 2464672)
So the TF leveling kit adds 1" to the rear and 2" to the front and it can do this without requiring new shocks or extension brackets? The stock JKU shocks have enough extra travel that they won't top out with this kit?

I had no problems at full flex last weekend and have never had a problem on the road either.

jlr551cfd 06-12-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
I had no problems at full flex last weekend and have never had a problem on the road either.

From all of the info I have seen, nothing additional is needed with the TF Leveling Kit!

CollinC 06-12-2012 03:11 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll try this this afternoon when I'm off work and then everything should be perfect! Overall I'm happy with the leveling kit. It did exactly what I wanted it to. Only bad thing was the vague directions

EastFamJk 01-26-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2458366)
19-22 mm sockets (CA's/TB's)
Full set of combo wrenches
Torque wrench
2 jack stands/jack
Impact helps a ton but not necessary.

Look up the Teraflex install for a budget boost on YouTube. They pretty much go over everything.

Take your time and remember SAFETY first :)

How tall jack stands and floor jack do you this will work? 15" floor jack and 17" jack stands?

bcbud 01-26-2013 07:01 PM

I hope everyone who buys a teraflex leveling kit calls them about their very poor instructions, I need a mission in life and mine is to get this company to give their customers some respect.

Grand Umpah 01-26-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbud (Post 3282226)
I hope everyone who buys a teraflex leveling kit calls them about their very poor instructions, I need a mission in life and mine is to get this company to give their customers some respect.

X2. I wrote to them on this subject. I couldn't understand why they didn't mention that you needed an allen wrench inserted into the end of the lower sway bar bolt to keep them from spinning when you tried to tighten them up. I missed it completely and it took a post to a forum before it was pointed out.

kjeeper10 01-26-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastFamJk

How tall jack stands and floor jack do you this will work? 15" floor jack and 17" jack stands?

I have 6 tons and they work great.

kjeeper10 01-26-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbud
I hope everyone who buys a teraflex leveling kit calls them about their very poor instructions, I need a mission in life and mine is to get this company to give their customers some respect.

TF is not the only manufacturer with crap instructions.

RK admitted the engineers that wrote their instructions target the experienced installer. RK is redoing their instructions to be clear to everybody. Experienced or not.

bcbud 01-26-2013 09:01 PM

I think Teraflex was aiming their instructions at IKEA customer expectations.
Why justify their lack of customer commitment?

MikeK46 01-26-2013 11:07 PM

I haven't heard of anyone providing any kind of half decent instructions for anything having to do with lift kits.

Engineers can't write. Apparently, no one, not even the big brands like Teraflex or Rock Krawler, can afford to hire a technical writer to put together a decent set of instructions. Either that or they just don't care, because by the time you read the instructions you've already bought the item.

WatchThis! 01-26-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3282446)

TF is not the only manufacturer with crap instructions.

RK admitted the engineers that wrote their instructions target the experienced installer. RK is redoing their instructions to be clear to everybody. Experienced or not.

Most instructions for aftermarket parts are wrote for people who have a pretty good idea of whats going on. For some reason they just dont seem to notice that there are folks doing the installs that dont do this kind of work every day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.