Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Transmission output seal / transfer case input seal replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/transmission-output-seal-transfer-case-input-seal-replacement-166036.html)

dsmithwc04 06-11-2012 11:25 AM

Transmission output seal / transfer case input seal replacement

My 98 TJ 5sp 4.0 had apparenlty leaked 2 qts of transmission fluid into the transfer case... I didn't even know that was possible as I thought a leaking transmission output seal would just leak out the hole in the adaptor between the tranny and tcase. Well, since my tcase was 2 qts over and my tranny 2 qts low I figured that must be what happened... Well, it was time to replace the transmission output shaft seal and the tcase input shaft seal.

Here is how I did it:

Transmission output seal: NAPA 19601
Transfer case seal: Autozone 3173

DRAIN TRANNY AND TCASE FLUIDS FIRST

Step 1: Place jack stand under tranny and put jeep into gear and chock wheels.

Step 2: Unbolt transmission mount (4 bolts centered on skid plate)

Step 3: Unbolt and remove skid plate (6 bolts) and unhook all electrical connectors and breather tube.

Step 4: Unbolt Rear drive shaft from rear diff.

Step 5: Unbolt Front drive shaft from transfer case.

Step 6: Unbolt transfer case from transmission adaptor (6 nuts) and remove transfer case.

Step 7: Remove bolts holding the housing that contains the seal (4 bolts) and clean area thoroughly.

Step 8: Remove seal carefully with seal puller. Clean thoroughly where tcase and transmission adaptor meet and clean old seal area.

Step 9: Replace the seal (I put 3M weather sealant around seal but I doubt this is really needed).

Step 10: Replace the housing that contains the seal onto the tcase with RTV and tighten bolts.

Step 11: Remove seal at transmission output shaft and clean area thoroughly as well as clean the area where the tcase and transmission adaptor meet up.

Step 12: Replace the seal and apply RTV around the edge of adaptor where it meets the transfer case and apply around each threaded studs to create a good seal.

Step 13: Apply grease around the tranny output shaft and tcase input shaft.

Step 14: With the help of friend or transmission jack, jack the transfer case up and carefully align the two and mate them. Tighten up 6 nuts.

Step 15: Re-connect all electrical connections and breather tube.

Step 16: Re-connect both front and rear driveshaft.

Keep in mind this is off the top of my head as I remember it. Be aware of what you are doing and make sure these directions make sense to you before you start. GOOD LUCK!

ipleadda2nd 06-11-2012 12:10 PM

I did this a while back. It went pretty smoothly. My FSM didn't mention anything about using RTV on the tranny adapter (where the t-case and tranny meet). Where did you hear about that?

dsmithwc04 06-12-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipleadda2nd (Post 2460851)
I did this a while back. It went pretty smoothly. My FSM didn't mention anything about using RTV on the tranny adapter (where the t-case and tranny meet). Where did you hear about that?

Mine already had rtv on it when I removed the tcase so I went ahead and put rtv on it when I reinstalled it. It honestly didn't make sense to use the rtv but figured it couldn't hurt anything to put some on. Your probably fine without it.

ipleadda2nd 06-12-2012 10:13 AM

I agree.

blackhawk_TJ 06-12-2012 10:16 PM

i did the rtv and made it water tight :) :dance: