Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Installing aftermarket A/C? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/installing-aftermarket-a-c-166105.html)

Sccrbrg 06-11-2012 03:21 PM

Installing aftermarket A/C?

So I'm looking at a 98 wrangler, great deal but its been reduced because its a non-A/C model to $9500 with 77,100 miles. Its a great deal around here, especially with all of the extras.

So I have a few questions,

Firstly, if I decide I want A/C down the road how hard/expensive would it be to install? Or is it even possible?

And secondly, do I need to worry about any 0331 head problems with a 98?

And lastly heres the list of add ons

"4.0 6cyl, Runs Great, 3.5" Superflex suspension lift with detachable swaybars, ES3000 Shocks, 33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, Aluminum wheels,Diff Protector, Bumper mounted fogs with dash switch, All installed in 2007. New Radiator,Thermostat, Water Pump, Distributer Cap and Sepentine Belt installed at 65524 miles. Newer Best Top soft top, Bikini Top included in purchase, Alpine Removable face stereo with mp3 and satellite ready,Plastic flares faded,seats and steering wheels could use new covers. This model did not come with ac., Custom wheels, Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Never seen snow, No accidents, Title in hand, Upgraded sound system, Well maintained"

So my question here is; I've heard that a laundry list of parts is needed if you lift to 3 inches +. Would these upgrades be sufficient to support the 3.5 inch lift?

I really know next to nothing about suspensions and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EMTJEEP 06-11-2012 05:23 PM

If you want to do an AC install get one of these kits. Wrangler AC kits
It has all the parts needed to hook up an AC. It's really simple and the only hard thing is getting the dash off to put the door in the air compartment.

The 0331 heads didn't come out until 2000 so a 98 wouldn't have it.

You may want to look into a SYE unless the driveshaft doesn't have any play or vibes. But I think you don't need one until 4 inches. I'm not too sure on that.

Leeroy Jeepkins 06-11-2012 06:27 PM

buy a box of ziplock baggies and a sharpie when removing the dash. when i took mine off i put the screws/bolts in a bag,labeled how many screws/bolts,the size of the bolt(speeds up the process trust me) and what they belonged to. i would sometimes put a number on the bag and number the non visible part of whatever i was removing. this helped a ton when putting it back together. i also took a bunch of pictures just so i could remember where stuff went. anytime i would unplug a connector i would take a picture.that way when i put it back together all i had to do was scroll through my photo album backwards to ensure i connected,screwed and bolted everything. oh and bedline your flares

good luck!

Sccrbrg 06-11-2012 06:53 PM

Thanks guys!

yeah, the flares are totally faded and im going to need some new seats/covers. I was really thinking about tearing out the carpeting and bed lining the tub as well. The interior is a little on the dirty side, but I figure I can redo most of it fairly easily - well worth the $5,000+ price difference it has with most of the STOCK wranglers in my area.

Not wild about the tan interior though, would like to change it over to black, but not sure if theres a simple way to do this short of plasti-dipping everything and I'm really not sure how that would turn out lol.

2003x 06-11-2012 08:03 PM

I just recently had A/C installed in my TJ. I ordered the Kit from Jeep Air.com. It works fantastic. I paid $1,100 for the kit. They were offering Bill Me Later with No Interest for 6 Months. That made it easier on my wallet. I didn't have the time to install it myself. I had my local shop install it and paid $800 and it took two days and a half day. They said they ran into a few snags. They stated they had to re-bend the A/C lines, and had issues lining up the brackets. The lower radiator hose is rubbing on the compressor. Still trying to figure out how to get it off it. Other then that kit blows Ice Cold. I don't no how I went so long without A/C. The kit can be installed by the do it yourselfer, if you got the time.

Leeroy Jeepkins 06-11-2012 08:57 PM

where do you live sccrbrg?

EMTJEEP 06-12-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sccrbrg
Thanks guys!

yeah, the flares are totally faded and im going to need some new seats/covers. I was really thinking about tearing out the carpeting and bed lining the tub as well. The interior is a little on the dirty side, but I figure I can redo most of it fairly easily - well worth the $5,000+ price difference it has with most of the STOCK wranglers in my area.

Not wild about the tan interior though, would like to change it over to black, but not sure if theres a simple way to do this short of plasti-dipping everything and I'm really not sure how that would turn out lol.

There's a thread called tired or your interior... Change it!!! Look that up about painting the inside.